1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Sculpting (carving?) an M1 Helmet

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Anders Heintz, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Guys!

I was talking to Gary about an M1 helmet that I have detailed with a liner and that stuff. He asked me how I did the 'pot' and I told him it was a DML helmet. So I sat and thought about it for a min or two and decided that I can make the pot also, so here we go :)

I found a ball of cured putty, supposed to be a 120mm skull or base for a head, and I cut it in half and pinned it and attached the blob to a exacto handle. Then I used another helmet as guide for size and started wittling. Basically I just used a #11 X-Acto blade and cut away. When I was close to the shape I needed, I used a round rat tailed file and filed the edges. It is still in progress and need to do quite a bit of refining, but so far it looks better then I had hoped for. What you think?

Attached Files:

2. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Guys!

I was talking to Gary about an M1 helmet that I have detailed with a liner and that stuff. He asked me how I did the 'pot' and I told him it was a DML helmet. So I sat and thought about it for a min or two and decided that I can make the pot also, so here we go :)

I found a ball of cured putty, supposed to be a 120mm skull or base for a head, and I cut it in half and pinned it and attached the blob to a exacto handle. Then I used another helmet as guide for size and started wittling. Basically I just used a #11 X-Acto blade and cut away. When I was close to the shape I needed, I used a round rat tailed file and filed the edges. It is still in progress and need to do quite a bit of refining, but so far it looks better then I had hoped for. What you think?
  3. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Oups! Forgot to say its 1/35th scale :)
  4. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Oups! Forgot to say its 1/35th scale :)
  5. Pete_H New Member

WHOA! The edges of the helmet are way to thick. Sand them down from both sides - top & bottom - and you should be good to go. Don't forget that this was a 2-part helmet - inner lining and helmet itself - so don't forget to sculpt that in as well.
  6. Pete_H New Member

WHOA! The edges of the helmet are way to thick. Sand them down from both sides - top & bottom - and you should be good to go. Don't forget that this was a 2-part helmet - inner lining and helmet itself - so don't forget to sculpt that in as well.
  7. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    LoL Hi Pete :)

Its not done yet, just started. Its just the basic rough shape. I did some more comparing and it was to small so I've added more putty to it and will rework the whole thing again :)
  8. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    LoL Hi Pete :)

Its not done yet, just started. Its just the basic rough shape. I did some more comparing and it was to small so I've added more putty to it and will rework the whole thing again :)
  9. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Slight mishap

Here is one side

Attached Files:

10. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Slight mishap

Here is one side
  11. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    And the Other Side

Attached Files:

12. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    And the Other Side
  13. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    is it not solid?
  14. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    is it not solid?
  15. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Gordy,

It was, but I drilled the inside out for a hollow shell :)
  16. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Gordy,

It was, but I drilled the inside out for a hollow shell :)
  17. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Anders, you're doing a great job. The M1 helmet is deceptively difficult. Hang in there buddy.
  18. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Anders, you're doing a great job. The M1 helmet is deceptively difficult. Hang in there buddy.
  19. Robin Active Member

United-Kingdom
    John is right buddy, got have mishaps to make the triumphs worth more.

Keep going Bud

Robin
  20. Robin Active Member

United-Kingdom
    John is right buddy, got have mishaps to make the triumphs worth more.

Keep going Bud

Robin