1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Sculpting build log Part: The First

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by elanlane13, Dec 26, 2018.

1. elanlane13 A Fixture

England
    The announcement at Scale Model World of a 1/24th scale Hellcat being released by Airfix in 2019 got my sculpting senses twitching. Here was a subject that would be ideal for an accompanying pilot (or two) I thought. Wouldn't they fit well into the Elan13 Miniatures range I thought.
    So here is part; The First, of a log that shows the process of bringing a figure (or two) from clay and putty to being available commercially.
    Stage 1 research: Once I knew what decal options were going to be available, I selected the pilot types to work on. I went for a US Navy pilot and a Fleet Air Arm pilot. These offered two quite distinct options. I went through my collection of books consulted the oracles that are Google Images and Pinterest and collected together a range of photos to work from.
    Accompanying this series will be the usual smudgy snaps of how the figures have progressed, taken on my mobile phone. This gives that instant 'how things are going' vibe. (This is code for I'm sorry the photos are smudgy.)
    The first snap shows the basic mannequins used, made from wire and Magic Sculp torso and hips. As you can see the figure on the left has a shoe started. I always sculpt the feet first because I hate doing them and like to get the basic shape in early. The next two snaps show basic bulking out in Magic Sculp ready for a Bees Putty outer layer. Sometimes anatomical errors are made at this stage (happened this time) which can be corrected. I don't sculpt a detailed under body because it will be covered later.
    The last snap is the FAA figure with head sculpted as the other three photos are rather boring. Stick with it the pictures get more interesting as we progress (allegedly).
    DSC_0761 (002).jpg DSC_0768 (002).jpg DSC_0771 (002).jpg DSC_0786 (002).jpg
    KenBoyle, malc, Nap and 7 others like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Rob

And there was me thinking it all happened by clicking fingers !!

Thanks for starting this SBS ...interesting to see how you sculptors work

Be interesting to see any reference pics as well

Following with interest

Nap
    malc likes this.