1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Sculpting a goatee how ?

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by chris1, Feb 20, 2015.

1. chris1 Active Member

Hi guys,
    I'm looking for some aasistance and guidance. I have the old Verlinden bust#1263 German Fallscrimjager Ardennes. As a point of difference I'd like to give him a goatee. Not exactly regulation however.
    Any pointers,tips etc great fully accepted.
    I'll be using standard (yellow grey) milliputt.

Cheers

Chris
  2. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Have you tried it yet and encountered problems - i.e. whats stopping you ?:)
    Or are you looking for methods?

I would use very thin strips of puty, carefully placed where you want it (I usually put few small dubs of superglue under to avoid peeling in most unexpected and worst moment).

Then trim those strips with a needle into a shape you want and add texture of general hair volumes with a brush or a shaper, smooth out , then add fine hair texture where appropriate (use sparingly so it doesn't look like spaghetti). Put under a lamp to harden.

Voila?
  3. tony aldrich New Member

United-Kingdom
    I find a small pin pushed or drilled into the chin helps as a basis
  4. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    I'm with Tony. I've done the same thing. It doesn't have to be a thick pin. Personally, I don't think it works to just sculpt the chin hair, leaving other facial hair and/or hair on the head as is. It kinda doesn't look right. Better to cut it all off and do it all. I've never used the super glue approach but it doesn't sound unworkable.

All the best,
    Dan
  5. chris1 Active Member

Hi guys thanks for the prompt replies.
    I haven't tried anything yet guess I'm a little chicken,but I feel this bust is crying out for some modification also it'll hide a repair,to the upper lip,mouth area where I went a little crazy trying to do some work on the mouth and made a total hash of things (ala an alpine Machine gunnerwhich provided the inspiration)

Dan I take your point regarding the hair,thankfully in this case he's wearing a balaclava and helmet . I'll do some work this week and see how things go and will post pictures eventually.

Cheers

Chris
  6. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    One more issue, Chris. Some people get great results from Milliput. I never did. For detail work like hair, I use a mix of Kneadatite and Magic Sculpt. Some use straight Kneadatite. I urge you to experiment a bit with various mixes before you make the change on your model.

All the best,
    Dan
    Gaudin and garyhiggins like this.
  7. chris1 Active Member

Thanks Dan.
    Unfortunately I don't have ready access to either. I'd need to over from overseas.Ill make do with what I've got.
    but thanks again

Cheers

Chris
  8. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Kneadatite is available from any warhammer dealer....if you are willing to pay their prices for a wee amount in a bubble pack.
  9. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Chris!

Send me your address and I'll send you a couple of blobs of magic sculpt! I have loads of the stuff! :)
    Wings5797 likes this.
  10. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Mix of magic sculpt and green stuff is the best thing since sliced bread. It combines best qualities of both for me, and looses nothing. In fact, old crackly and crumbly magic stuff can be revived and re -used thanks to green stuff.
  11. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Chris - You can buy both on e-Bay or from Amazon pretty cheaply.

All the best,
    Dan
  12. tony aldrich New Member

United-Kingdom
    If this is a larger model, think I would use millionth, it does brush out well