1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

SCULPTING 101 STEP BY STEP

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by garyjd, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Robert Dominick Member

United-States
    Gary,

Have you ever thought about publishing book on your sculpting techniques? You do such amazing work, it would be nice to see all of your many sculpting techniques and talents in a compiled manor. That we all could benefit by having it at our work benches as a great if not the greatest sculpting reference material.

Thanks for the inspirations, Robert
  2. Markus Well-Known Member

Germany
    Intersting idea Gary. Have you ever thought about it? I would by it !!!

Cheers,
    Markus
  3. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Patrick, Thanks. I may give that a try. there is also a program that is called Photo Plus that is also like Photoshop in some ways. Maybe all of these similiar programs will help eventually bring the price of Photoshop down.

Once the figure is done (loooong overdue) the idea of making the sbs available as a series of articles or one big has been already talked about. Stay tuned.~Gary
  4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Robert, Thanks for the kind words. I've had folks ask me about the subject of a book before. I just do not see myself as much of a writer and enjoy just posting sbs stuff on Pf. I have thought about putting something together on disk, but have no plans to do this in the near future.~Gary
  5. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I am working on the figure's hands as they appear in the photographs of the model. Once they are completed I will post some pictures.

A separate sbs just on hands will be done in conjunction with the figure sbs. Thanks for your patience.~Gary
  6. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Now that is something I will be waiting for eagerly!!

Stephen Mallia
  7. rafaelega Active Member

Spain
    Excellent face!!

Rafa
  8. arthur Member

Canada
    Gary,
    That's an amazing face you have created.
    Full of emotion, ...very nice :)
    This whole SbS is an excellent tool for anyone interested in sculpting.
    Thank you for sharing it with us :)
    Cheers,
    A.
  9. TorMag Member

Gary, this is driving me nuts, where did you show where you finished the shoes and the socks? I can't seem to find it.

Thanks

Tor
  10. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
  11. TorMag Member

Thanks Gary....... :)
  12. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Though the following photos deal with the hands I'm including it here as part of the process involved in sculpting the jacket.

This is not the SBS on sculpting HANDs, though I'll briefly cover what I did.

I cut for separate pieces of lead wire. These pieces were glued in place and will be bent to the desired positions of each finger. Before positioning some of the excess is trimmed off.

Attached Files:

13. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here are the arms back in place befor "fleshing out" the fingers.

Attached Files:

14. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Once the lead wire was bent into the desired positions I started adding putty one finger at a time. I found the lead wire to really be way too soft for this but went ahead with it. Each finger is divided into three (3) segments with two (2) joints in between. At this stage the fingers do not look pretty, but will be carved and sanded once they are done.

In the future I'll probably go with copper wire as it's not as soft, but will still bend when positioning the fingers.

Attached Files:

15. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Another view.

Attached Files:

16. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Once the putty on the fingers had cured they were carved and sanded to better resemble fingers. I then drilled out a hole for the wire that will support the thumb.

Attached Files:

17. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is the right hand in place with the thumb added. After the putty cures on the thum it will be refined like the other fingers.

You'll notice the head now has hair. Hair will be covered in a separate, but brief sbs.

Attached Files:

18. MikkoH Member

Finland
    Looking good Gary. Inspiring as usual!=)

Cheers Mikko
  19. MAB Well-Known Member

Italy
    Hello Gary
    ATTITUDE - POSITION - AND ANATOMY OF THE HAND
    THEY ARE perfect
    mine compliments will be one great figure.

MAB ;)
  20. Djoubri M Well-Known Member

France
    Superb work .