1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

SCULPTING 101 STEP BY STEP

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by garyjd, Feb 24, 2006.

1. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    After comleting a portion of the jacket lining the piece was permanently epoxied in place. Once the epoxy has fully cured, hot water will be poured over the front of the jacket to help soften it so it will lay against the torso more instead of stick out.

Attached Files:

2. Pavka Well-Known Member

Poland
    Gary, Your SBS is excellent, thank You!
  3. Markus Well-Known Member

Germany
    Hello Gary,

your sbs is very intersting !!! Thanks for it.

About the disk: I have never had thoughts to use such a tool. But it looks good and I think it really makes sense. I will give it a try at my next sculpting-piece.

Cheers,
    Markus
  4. Kevin D. Well-Known Member

United-States
    I just watch and chuckle, saying "excellent... excellent..." over and over again. Each technique or method of acomplishing the current goal is a joy to watch!

Thanks for the time you are taking on this and thanks for the pure enjoyment of it.

Kevin
  5. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Pavka, Thank you, glad you like it.~Gary
  6. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Markus, Thank you. There's more to come as I have another piece to put on top of the disk.~Gary
  7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Kevin, Thanks, the kind words are really appreciated. I do enjoy sculpting...a lot. It would be nice to paint, to but I rarely give myself enough of a break away from sculpting it to pick up a brush for more than a few minutes here and there. Anyway, though the subject is plain in terms of uniform and equipment, it has already more than served it's purpose of getting folks to just give sculpting a try.~Gary
  8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    The next step is to thin out some of the material here and backfill underneath where needed. In this picture you can see how I've sanded right though the putty. This is no problem as the area can be backfilled with putty and once sanded you can never tell.

Attached Files:

9. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is the basic jacket body after sanding, backfilling in addition to roughing out the shape of the jacket body minus all the folds.

Attached Files:

10. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    The back of the jacket.

Attached Files:

11. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    The folds are indicated by referencing the photo of the model and indicating the main folds.

Attached Files:

12. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I then carve out the channels if you will that will become the folds with an X-acto knife. I then go in with some very coarse sandpaper and remove additional material. I do this by either folding the sandpaper to make it a little more rigid, or wrapping a piece around an old paintbrush or wooden dowel.

Attached Files:

13. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    The following pictures show the folds refined a little further. I'm also going to use files to help sharpen certain areas of the folds.

Attached Files:

14. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    another pic.

Attached Files:

15. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Hi Gary, pics are all saved for that day in the next life :lol:

Amazing as ever :eek:

Keep him rolloing!!!

Ray ;)
  16. ArturM Well-Known Member

Poland
    Can't wait finish ;)
    Is this a commercial project?

Best regards
    Artur
  17. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Ray, Thanks for the kind words.~Gary
  18. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Autur, As of now the figure is just being done for the sbs. I would not rule it out however if someone is interested.~Gary
  19. trooper Member

United-States
    Gary, I have rerally enjoyed your SBS on this figure. As one sculptor to another, I always enjoy picking different points of sculpting and trying different techniques. I was wondering if you where going to do short SBS on hands. I use several different methods, from an enteral structure to carving out a blank of chevant clay or epoxy putty. I would very intersted is seeing your method in sculpting hands. Ol dogs need new tricks. Keep up the VERY Good work. You are very talented.
  20. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    James, Thanks, I do appreciate it. Once the jacket is finished all that is left are the arms and hands. Hands were/are always the hardest part for me to do. I would like to try an approach that is not too involved, but yields decent results. If you have any ideas on this feel free to share.~Gary