1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

SCULPTING 101 STEP BY STEP

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by garyjd, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Kevin D. Well-Known Member

United-States
    Gary,

Thanks for such a great tutorial. I've been following it for days since I started on this site a few weeks ago.

I have not seen sculpey diluent before. Is this easily found in stores? No luck down here in Texas so far. And, if you don't mind my asking, are you using colore shapers and where can one find those. Again, a stike out at the local hobby chain stores here.

Best,

Kevin D.
  2. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Kevin, Thank you. You should be able to find diluent in a Michael's or A.C. Moore craft store. It is normally in the section with the sculpey and other clays. If you do not find it there check out this site they should have it, in addition to the color shapers.~Gary

http://www.clayalley.com/index.htm
  3. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Before adding the layers that will make up the other trouser leg, I brush Sculpey Diluent all over the leg. A little bit of this stuff goes a long way, so spread it around to where the leg just has a sheen.

Attached Files:

4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I start by adding a piece of Sculpey to the hip and thigh area. With a figure this size you can work the Sculpey with you figures.

Attached Files:

5. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    The Sculpey is left thinner where the garment is either tighter or a part of it does not hang loose.

Attached Files:

6. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    The spatula is used to work the Sculpey into the inside of the leg.

Attached Files:

7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    The upper half of the leg roughed in.
  8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Sculpey is now worked into the lower leg.

Attached Files:

9. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here you can see the thickness of the layer after being spread out.

Attached Files:

10. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    the roughed in trouser leg. There are some portions of the trousers that are baggy and will be added with more Sculpey.

Attached Files:

11. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    The overall figure. During the sculpting of the figure I put the head on to help keep things in scale.

Attached Files:

12. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I start by indicating the position of the knee and then drawing lines with my spatula to show where additional Sculpey will make up the baggy parts of the trousers.

Attached Files:

13. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    The first two pieces are added to the leg. These will be spread into the rest of the leg with a spatula and will form the baggy portion of the trousers in the front of half of the leg.

Attached Files:

14. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    After blending the additional Sculpey into the leg.

Attached Files:

15. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Three quarter view.

Attached Files:

16. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    The area above the cuff will have some folds, so additional Sculpey is added to that area.

Attached Files:

17. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    The area after blending with the spatula.

Attached Files:

18. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    The trouser leg after blending and the addition of the first large fold. Note that some of the large folds to be sculpted next are already suggested. You may also see the areas of the trouser leg where the fabric would be closer to the leg.

Attached Files:

19. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Using an X-acto knife I make a cut into the trouser leg. I then add another small piece of Sculpey that will form the upper part of the fold.

You'll also notice an upside down "V" outlined at the top of the thigh. The inside of the V will be the area of the thigh where the fabric is closer to the leg and will have a fold running to the lleft and right.

Attached Files:

20. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Another view showing where the cut was made and where the additional Sculpey was placed.

Attached Files: