1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

SCULPTING 101 STEP BY STEP

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by garyjd, Jan 12, 2006.

1. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    The feet or rough shape of the shoes were begun on the section dealing with filling out the armature. This section will continue on, giving the overall shape to the shoe minus a few details to be added after most, if not the entire figure is complete. I will also sculpt socks on the lower portion of the legs as the trousers will be partally rolled up.

Shoes The supply of shoes to the Confederate army was a serious problem. The supply ranged from unavailable to the best footware that could be had. By 1863 some soldiers recieved English shoes sent through the blockade. These shoes were described as "The best I have seen for army use". The shoes fastened with a strap and buckle rather than the shoestrings. They were well sewn and reinforced with nails and a thin band of iron nailed to the bottom of the heel to prevent wear.

Below is a picture of said shoes taken from Don Troiani's Regiments & Uniforms of the Civil War

Attached Files:

2. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here are the shoes roughed in. I went over them with fine steel wool to take out any tool marks that were remaining.

Attached Files:

3. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I start to work on the heels and soles by outling them with a fine tip pen. If you do the shoes in Sculpey make sure the overall shape for both is the same if not at least close.

Attached Files:

4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here are the shoes marked out before I begin to work in the soles and heels with an X-acto knife.

Attached Files:

5. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I trace along the top of the sole of the shoe using an X-acto with a NEW #11 blade, putting eonough pressure to break the surface of the sculpey. I then take the knife and with the blade paralell to the sole cut just deep enough into the body of the shoe where the Sculpey breaks off clean along the top of the sole of the shoe. You do not want to go too deep, just enough where the sole and body of the shoe look like two pieces joined together.

Attached Files:

6. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Another view of the shoe showing the sole lightly carved in.

Attached Files:

7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I then take my X-acto and carve in a few wrinkles on the top of the shoe. To round them off I use an oval file to round the wrinkles as the shoes are leather

Attached Files:

8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Another view of the wrinkles. Please forgive the dark pic.

Attached Files:

9. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I wanted to fill out the shoe a little so I added more Sculpey to the toe and heel. I put a little Sculpey Diluent on these areas so the Sculpey will adhere to it better.

Attached Files:

10. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    A profile of the shoe with the heel and toe filled out.

Attached Files:

11. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    The body of the shoe is complete and I will now move onto the socks. I start by scoring the area with an X-acto knife. I then brush on a little of the Diluent. combined these areas will give the sock something to hold onto.

Attached Files:

12. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    A piece of Sculpey is placed on the outside of the leg and is then slowly pressed onto the leg.

Attached Files:

13. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Care should be taken to apply enough pressure, because if the Sculpey should be loose on any part of the leg it could work itself loose when detailing begins.

Attached Files:

14. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I start to work in the overall shape of the sock starting at the bottom and working my way up to the top.

Attached Files:

15. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I'm careful to keep in mind the shape of the sock and in later steps maintaining a scale look to it as well. It would be very easy for the sock to look to puffy or bulky.

Attached Files:

16. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    View of the sock from the back.

Attached Files:

17. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Gary,

Looking really nice, look forward to seeing more of it.

Joe
  18. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here I'm slowly removing Sculpey away keeping in mind the contour of the sock.

Attached Files:

19. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    View from the front.

Attached Files:

20. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is the sock with the basic folds roughed in.

Attached Files: