1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

SCULPTING 101 STEP BY STEP, 1/16 FIGURE

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by garyjd, Oct 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here I have some lines that will eventually become wrinkles on the forehead, which in all liklihood will end up covered by the hand and or forearm. I place small pieces of Sculpey on either side of the bridge of the nose (angular head) to form those small muscles.

Attached Files:

2. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    After smoothing those areas into the face I now place a couple of small pieces that make up the orbital part of the eyelid.

Attached Files:

3. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    After the blending of these areas I then note with a round stylus the location of the iris & pupil. These indentations will not remain for long they are only guides. The right looks a little droopy but can be fixed.

Attached Files:

4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Leaving the work on the eyes for a moment I make a V shaped groove that will help form the cheekbones. I do not want the face to be very full looking as I want to try and convey a sence of fatigue on the look of the figure.

Attached Files:

5. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here the right side has been blended and helps with achieving a hollow look to the face.

Attached Files:

6. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Both sides of the cheekbones have been blended. I continue to refine and sometimes change the face here and there. I then roll out two small pieces of Sculpey to block in the lower eyelids.

Attached Files:

7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    The right eyelid is worked in. it's important to get the shape right, which has not been done just yet.

Attached Files:

8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Both lower lids have been done they just need a little tweeking before moving on.

Attached Files:

9. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great, Great,

I love it, i love it.
    Thanks Gary for explaining the sculpting in a SBS. I really enjoying this.
    When it is complete i gonna make something for my own.

Marc.
  10. nagashino New Member

Gary, this is excellent. Watching your progress on this is absolutely rivetting. Some lucky bidder is going to get a masterpiece - let's hope it realises a good sum for the project!

Regards

Phil
  11. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Awesome SBS Gary!

Sitting here watching every step and studying them carefully!!

Thanks!
  12. Ernest A Fixture

Venezuela
    I have no words

I want to see more...
    pmfs likes this.
  13. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Gary, great stuff.What I really like about your approach is that it's simple and basic and yet very effective. That wat it makes it easier for newcomers to give it a try

Stephen Mallia
  14. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks a lot guys.

Stephen, I think that's where a lot of would be sculptors get frustrated. If you break down the figure into a series of steps it is not as daunting a task.~Gary
  15. TorMag Member

Please Sir can I have some more???????
  16. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Tor, I'll have another update by tomorrow at the latest. The head will be done and I will start on sculpting the neck and adding the crown of the figure's hat to his bald head. It will then be removed and hair will eventually be aded.~Gary
  17. whdamon New Member

United-States
    Sitting on the edge of my chair,,,,,,,,,,,waiting foe the next installment,,,,,,,please keep them coming Walt Damon
  18. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I did not care for the eyes and decided to redo them. The head will then bake for 15 minutes at 250 degrees. I'll let the oven cool a bit then bake it for another 15 minutes. This will be done a total of 3-4 times. I'll then go in and smooth the head with fine steel wool and sandpaper.

Attached Files:

alexandre1 likes this.
  19. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I wrapped a piece or really coarse sandpaper around a section of 1/2" dowling and sanded the area where the head will be seated. The head will end up as a separate piece that will fit into the jacket collar.

Attached Files:

20. TorMag Member

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

No SBS on the eyes?????

What's an ungrateful neophyte to do?

Now my sculpt is going to be sitting there with big holes in it's head...... :eek:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.