1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

SCULPTING 101 STEP BY STEP, 1/16 FIGURE

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by garyjd, Oct 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    The line is then made into a groove.

Attached Files:

2. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    A small round stylus is ued to make the inner ear.

Attached Files:

3. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    The work is refined.

Attached Files:

4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    The outer rim of the ear is worked into the inner ear.

Attached Files:

5. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    The inner ear is opened up a bit more, again using a round stylus.

Attached Files:

6. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    A small ball of Sculpey is used to form the earlobe. The piece is flattened and blended into the rest of the air.

Attached Files:

7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    the earlobe after blending.

Before the head is baked I'll go in and trim up the outside of the ear, I normally will go back in and do a little more clean up.

Attached Files:

8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I want the figure to look tired, therefore I need to open the mouth a bit and raise his brows. I only have a couple pictures showing what the mouth looks like. I looked in the mirror (scary) so I could get the mouth to look right. I only added a little more Sculpey to what I already had. The challange was to get the mouth to look right with the material that was already there.

Attached Files:

9. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    After the mouth is complete I'll start work on the brow.

Attached Files:

10. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Excellent Gary. I'm curious how you intend to graft the head to the body. Will it be seperate and fit into a socket made by the clothing?
  11. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    John, Thanks. Once the head is baked I will cut the rod the head is mounted on, leaving enough for the length of the neck. This way I'll be able to manipulate the rod for both the neck and copper wire for the arms to achieve the figure's pose. Once positioned I may lock it in place with putty, though I have not made a final decision. The head like the arms will end up as separate pieces.~Gary
  12. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Excellent looking head there Gary, I really like the youthful look, great stuff mate!
  13. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Looking at how the face is shaping up, the expression looks really well suited to Jason's original pose..thoroughly enjoying all the highly detailed steps Gary..

All the best......Roy.
  14. rafaelega Active Member

Spain
    Awesome Gary....impresive SBS. Congratulations!

Rafa
  15. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    I sit here in awe of what you can do with a glob of putty. Beautiful work Gary............keep it going.
  16. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Hello Gary,

Astounding s-b-s! (y)

I particular like your very logical method of doing the ear. Might try it myself.

Thanks for sharing! :)

Quang
  17. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks guys, I appreciate it.~Gary
  18. fsdesimone Member

Extremely informative Gary. I'm really enjoying this one - I have messed around with Sculpey a bit but haven't really had the courage to attempt anything like a head with it.

Francesca
  19. TorMag Member

Gary:

Understand I am only harrassing you in fun..... but get moving, I am caught up to you in my work along and can't wait for the next post.......

I am really enjoying working along with you on this and look forward to each new post. I can't wait till you start clothing the figure. I am anxious to see how you do the wrinkles.....

Tor
  20. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Tor, No problem. That's the best thing about posting in progress work, you put your self on the hot seat which compels you to keep moving forward on a project. thanks for your interest I appreciate it.~Gary
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.