1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

sculpt no. 12

Discussion in 'Brutal Honesty - Critique Center' started by robert110, May 13, 2016.

1. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Well Robert.....I think with each step it gets better and better.If you plan on doing the whole torso,maybe work on that a little bit to get a break and maybe pick at the hair and face in between.Sometimes as the saying goes;...you get so close to the forest that you can't see the trees...Or is it...too close too the trees that you can't see the forest....:)...O.K. well maybe you know what I mean.
    Anyway it looks good so keep it goin,
    Regards,
    Wayne
  2. robert110 Well-Known Member

Croatia
    Thanks Wayne, advice applied ;) , some rough work on arms and torso done. Some on hair... Hands to be done yet, questioning about size of hands ? to big or to small? Come on guy's , any advice or critique is welcomed. Hit me , like "you done that but you should done like that " :)

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  3. robert110 Well-Known Member

Croatia
    Taking a break from Uma with this two heads...

[IMG]
    [IMG]
  4. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Remind me of the scale of this bust please. 1/10th maybe? Obviously the scale determines what you can reasonably put into the sculpture vs. what you should leave out.

Let's take a look at the hands. Put aside the question of whether they are too big or too small. Let's just work on making them look more 'hand-like'.

Photo 5877 is Uma's hands in your photo. Take a look at the thumbnail view. Do you see the knuckles and the seams on the fingers, etc.?
    Compare them to the sculpted hands. No knuckles and the clefts between the gripping fingers of each hand don't form V notches between fingers. Do you see the veins standing up and away from the surface of the hands? Look at the seams and small scars on your own hands (not Uma's - unfortunately the photo of her doesn't have enough resolution to see them).

Personally I don't do hands particularly well myself. But I aspire to improve each time I have to make some - which is often!

In a Google word search, I quickly found four photos and one illustration of hands holding swords. Notice the raised and enlarged knuckles, nails, veins, etc., etc. Probably you could find better photos in a more careful search. Just to see the level of detail some sculptors can put into hands. Take a look at the last two images.

I suggest you try the same approach with the hair. It looks to me like you are over-working the hair, just trying to do too much with it. Less is sometimes more. One of your earlier WIP photos of the hair looks close to finished and more hair-like.

I hope these ramblings help a little bit. You're doing fine! Good luck! Keep at it!

All the best,
    Dan

Attached Files:

stoffy01, blaster and napoleonpeart like this.
  5. robert110 Well-Known Member

Croatia
    Thanks Dan for advices and reply. Scale is cca. 1/9. I'm still working on hands and those one on last pictures are not hands ;) . I will post some pictures when there will be some progress on them but for now there is nothing to show. Anyway , your advice will be useful , thanks. In a meantime here's some progress with this head..

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    stoffy01 and Dan Morton like this.
  6. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    I like the last one!!!

All the best,
    Dan
    garyhiggins likes this.
  7. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Hi Robert,I'm not going to hit you or anything because what you are doing is very good. L will however offer some advice.

First the girl. You have captured the facial expression beautifully and it helps that the eyes are looking in the right direction. You could reduce the bridge of the nose and soften down the features in general, but your sculpt looks like the photo. Don't forget you are comparing the delicate flesh tones to the solid flatness of sculpting clay.

As for the hair, that is a fun project all on it's own, and yuo have a great reference in the photo.Where the hair is in contact with the head it can be relatively flat, but as it leaves the head the locks can be looser and more deeply sculpted. The way I do hair is to form the locks from rolls of clay shaped like icicles and then flatened out. Next push them into place twisting and interweaving with each other, finally finish off the detailing with a wettened needle. It sounds easy but it isn't, so don't worry if you take several tries to get it

The size of the hand is defined by taking the width of the palm as the distance between the tip of the nose and the point of the chin. From your photo's, there seems to be something of a lack of space between curled fingers and sleeve, remember to leave room for the wrist.

Regarding the other head, that looks great. Personally, I'd put in some ears, Donald Trump has enough problems with Mexicans without getting him started on Aliens :).

Finally a useful book recommendation, The Artist's complete guide to Facial Expression by Gary Faigin (y).

Best wishes, Gary.
    napoleonpeart and Oda like this.
  8. robert110 Well-Known Member

Croatia
    Thanks Gary for advice.. taking a short break from hair I'm practicing with another head....with ears :)

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    blaster, napoleonpeart, Oda and 2 others like this.
  9. Oda A Fixture

You're definitely getting there mate.Well done!

Oda.
  10. Nap Moderator

England
    Robert

All I can say is I take my hat off to you for this thread ..really interesting to see the work and the advice and comments from sculptors like Dan and Gary ..nice one guys

Following with interest whatever is in the bench

Nap
    stoffy01, robert110 and garyhiggins like this.
  11. robert110 Well-Known Member

Croatia
    Thanks guys for watching and helping on my journey through sculpting...

cheers
    Robert
    garyhiggins likes this.
  12. robert110 Well-Known Member

Croatia
    ear , first one.. ahhh that is hard to do on one side and than other side ... why do we have ears .. nobody listens anything I say around me anyway :(
    [IMG]
    stoffy01, garyhiggins and Dan Morton like this.
  13. Bob Orr Active Member

United-Kingdom

Now that is a great likeness of the late great Leonard Cohen already! Bob
  14. robert110 Well-Known Member

Croatia
    Thanks Bob.. great Leonard is inspiration for this one... here's few pictures .. work on ears and adjusted position of hat... hope you like it...

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  15. robert110 Well-Known Member

Croatia
    first testing how to make front of the shirt , tie and jacket. Any advices guy's ?

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Scotty likes this.
  16. blaster A Fixture

United-States
    This would look better if it was trimmed off at the chest.
  17. robert110 Well-Known Member

Croatia
    Blaster, maybe like this ?

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Scotty likes this.
  18. blaster A Fixture

United-States
    Yes.

Another suggestion is to slant the base forward, de-emphasizing its bulk and refocusing attention on the face.

Anyway, It's already a great looking sculpt.
  19. robert110 Well-Known Member

Croatia
    I'm not sure what are You suggesting ... talking about lover part of bust or wooden base ? thanks for advice

cheers
    Robert
  20. blaster A Fixture

United-States
    I meant the lower part of the bust. As it is, it appears to be serving as the pedestal for the piece. I think that if you reduced its bulkiness, the focus is on the facial features. You could for example, slice it off from the upper back downwards towards the chest. The piece then could be supported on a metal rod drilled into another wooden base. Just a suggestion.