1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Scratch building attempt

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by jimias, Jan 11, 2012.

1. jimias A Fixture

Greece
    This actually my second attempt to built my own bust and first on building a face from zero as the first one was a conversion.
    I gave super sculpey a try and had some problems which were solved with the advice from some members of the planet.
    Well any advice and comment is appreciated.
    I also wanted to ask what the differences between different types of polymer clay (super sculpey, sculpey firm, fimo) are.
    Cheers.

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      205.7 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      205.6 KB
      Views:
    • 016.JPG
      016.JPG
      File size:
      47.4 KB
      Views:
    • 017.JPG
      017.JPG
      File size:
      46.5 KB
      Views:
    • 018.JPG
      018.JPG
      File size:
      43.9 KB
      Views:
    balder, Augie, Kevin D. and 12 others like this.
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Re: Scracth buildind attempt

The primed version looks like Daniel Day-Lewis.
    What's planned for the rest Dimitrios?
    Great start,
    Carl.:)
  3. kaz6120 A Fixture

Japan

Wow, this looks really awesome! You are talented both painting and sculpting.
    I prefer this full-scratch-from-zero one to the previous conversion one.

I have only Super Sculpey FIRM and I heard particles of FIRM is smaller and harder than standard Super Sculpey.
    What do you use for smoothing the surface? It looks very smooth.
  4. jimias A Fixture

Greece

Really thank you guys for the comments.
    Carl you are right. I forgot to mention that i wanted to make him look like Daniel Day Lewis. Glad it reminded you of him. As for the rest my good friend Christos Panagiotopoulos will sculpt a version of The Last of the Mohicans and i will try to sculpt the Butcher from gangs of new york. Will see how it goes.
  5. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States

Nicely done! (y)
  6. Jazz A Fixture

England

Very nice work. Some people are just tooooo talented. I intend to have a go at sculpting too when my first shipment of Super Sculpy arrives on my doormat. I want to have a go at John Suchet's Poirot. I have always wanted to do this person but no doubt it will turn out like the creature from the black lagoon.
  7. ArturM Well-Known Member

Poland

Looks great! Keep up the good work

Artur
  8. Einion Well-Known Member

That looks really good Dimitrios, this is a perfectly believable face (y) Some minor anatomical quibbles but very nice job for a first head completely from scratch.

Your ears are shaped quite well (better than on many commercial sculpts!), you might find the pics on this page useful for next time. One thing to pay particular attention to is their angle when viewing the head in profile - most sculptors seem to struggle with this, doing them a little too upright, but they commonly tilt backwards slightly.

Well worth doing a web search on this, there is a huge online community who use them for things like beadmaking so there is a lot of information out there on the polymer clays.

Einion
  9. Ferris A Fixture

"Not bad" would be the understatement of the week with this.

Amazing how you just churn out the good stuff. :notworthy:

Cheers,
    Adrian
  10. RKapuaala Active Member

United-States

Very impressive for a first time or several times. I don't know that there is much difference between sculpty and fimo except that the fimo I used had a different temprature than sculpty. Sculpty comes in a loto f different hardness and courseness. I use and mix them all to get what I want. I have mixed fimo with sculpty too with no adverse affects, but in all fairness I cast all my sculpt in resin, so I don't know what the long term affects of mixxing sculpty and fimo are.
  11. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States

Killer work sir. I also want to add that you sculpting this good isn't fair.;)
  12. Renéduret Well-Known Member

Netherlands

hmmm, I also notice strong ressemblance with Ralph Fiennes...

good work!
  13. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada

A very good sculpt and completely unbelieveable as a first try. YOu can only get better.

I find super sculpey to be oily and almost like cream cheese to use. I much prefer SS firm as its more like epoxy clay. As some have said, it denser, heavier and harder when baked. It much better for shaving, sanding, scraping and drilling should you need to do any of these. I find sanding or shaving SS doesn't work well as the blade tears off additional material than that which I wish to remove. I don't mix putties as I am happy with SSF.

Colin
  14. jimias A Fixture

Greece

Thank you guys for the comments and the advices. I really appreciate it.
    Colin that is exactly what i wanted to know, because super sculpey seems to be to soft and i could really use something stiffer.
    Thank you.
  15. jimias A Fixture

Greece

Well i have just finished searching the web for a store in europe to buy ssf from and none of the ones i came across seems to ship to greece. Do you guys have any onlive store in mind?
    Thank you in advance.
  16. Manfred Active Member

Very good first face right away. Can't offer any critique as my own attempts are not that good.

If you can get FIMO in Athens simply buy a 56 gram block "classic" (firmer) and "soft" (well, softer) and manipulate them. Not a big outlay and you get the bet idea how and if you can use or mix it. If getting FIMO is hard I can send you some from here.
  17. Renéduret Well-Known Member

Netherlands

Fimo is great. take the pink classical variant and mix it with a bit of black ( soft, little packs).
  18. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece

My friend Dimitri you really did great on this one. I see a lot of talent there. Keep up the good work.

Xenofon
  19. jimias A Fixture

Greece

Thank you for the info and help guys.
    Had some progress here. Reworked the face a bit and added the torso.

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      46.8 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      42.8 KB
      Views:
    pokrad and sarouman like this.