1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Scouting for Zulu's (the Road to Ulundi 120mm)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Richie, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi All,
    Whilst I'm trying to get my painting mojo back and still wanting be creative, I decided to start this 120mm version of the road to Ulundi inspired by my 54mm depiction. Early days yet but I've had a few good sessions and now have something significant to show.
    I have decided on the following units -
    Kneeling left - Trooper Alexandra Mounted Rifles, this will be new to most of you in respect of the uniform. Some weeks ago I bought a first edition book published in Durban in 1940 about the uniforms from Natal and surrounding areas. In this book it describes that;
    in 1874 the corps adopted khaki cloth for it's field service uniform, ante-dating by many years the adoption of khaki by other units of the service and being the earliest recorded use of khaki in South Africa.

The kneeling figure to the right will be a Natal Carbineer. Behind them will be a Zulu scout wearing a dragoon's tunic and carrying an old Enfield Tower musket. The two rear standing figures will be members of the Irregular Horse.
    I still have not decided whether this is going to be a one off or get cast up.

cheers
    Richie
    1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg
    Noel Walker, Grod, Von Bock and 20 others like this.
  2. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    That's going to be a cracking wee vignette, I look forward to seeing it in all its Technicolor glory!
    All the best with it.
    Scotty.
    Richie likes this.
  3. Ventress Well-Known Member

England
    Brilliant, hoping for a commercial offering!
    Richie and captnenglish like this.
  4. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Looking forward to seeing this progress, especially with the new figure/uniform.
    Richie likes this.
  5. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Scotty, Rob and Matt,
    Thank you for looking in lads. This will progress quickly as I'm off now for 12 days.

I wanted to make this because of the khaki uniform detailed in the book and have never seen a figure done like this before from this conflict.
    My problem for a while now is getting the painting going.:(

Rob I don't know whether copies will ever be made it's a lot of moulds to make in a niche market and I don't know if I'll get the interest.
    cheers
    Richie
    captnenglish likes this.
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Richie

Great to see you at the bench and a project that's going to look packed full of details

That book sounds a great find for your library

Interesting about the khaki uniform

Following with interest

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Richie likes this.
  7. Gary_81 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    This looks like it will be a really impressive project, I will keep an eye out for progress.

Gary
    Richie likes this.
  8. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Hi Kev,
    It's nice to have some free time and be doing something constructive. The book is The Volunteer Regiments of Natal & East Griqualand, there's one on abe for £109 if you fancy a copy:woot:.
    cheers
    Richie
    captnenglish and Nap like this.
  9. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Gary,
    Thanks for looking in, been hard it since 9.30 this morning doing a lot a fiddley sculpting. Should have some progress to show over the weekend.
    cheers
    Richie
    Nap likes this.
  10. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Good to see you sculpting again mate, a lot of work involved with four figures but I am sure you will manage it in your time off.

Cheers
    Steve
    Richie likes this.
  11. Barrie Harris Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Interesting , look forward to see how its coming on.
    Keep at it and the painting will return.:happy:

Barrie(Newbee).
    Richie likes this.
  12. Warren SMITH A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Ritchie.. let me know.. Id take a set for sure..(y)
    captnenglish and Richie like this.
  13. Von Bock Well-Known Member

United-States
    Richie,
    Outstanding work, This is a very interesting set of figures. Heres hoping you get your painting Mojo back so you can bring them to full life. Regards, Brock
    Richie and Nap like this.
  14. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Obviously early days, but they're already interacting well with each other - it's a cohesive vignette not just a group of
    individual figures. An exciting project, and like everyone else I'm looking forward to seeing it develop. ( If I remember
    rightly, that dear old soul Roy Dilley once produced a group of Natal Carbineers operating a Heliograph - must be about
    fifty-odd years ago now and not even close this level of course ).

Mike
    Richie, captnenglish and Nap like this.
  15. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Steve,
    How are you mate? I'm really enjoying being creative again, just cannot get the enthusiasm for painting.

Hi Barrie,
    Thank you for looking in, I'm enjoying this but painting:facepalm:

Hi Smithy,
    How are you mate? If it was viable you would get a set, but a few people interested will not make this happen with the amount of moulds to make.

Hi Brock,
    How are you keeping, thanks for looking in mate. Once I finish this I'm going to have a good clean up and force myself to sit down with some paint, as I have lots of projects waiting for a splash of colour.

Hi Mike,
    Thank you looking in, I am glad you like the concept and composition and that it looks like an interactive vignette rather than single figures grouped together. That makes me so happy.
    cheers
    Richie

Hi All,
    I have finished the two kneeling figure and well on with the others, hopefully I will have the Zulu guide completed tomorrow if things go to plan.(y)
    cheers
    Richie
    nc4.jpg nc3.jpg nc2.jpg nc1.jpg
    Martin64, Nap and captnenglish like this.
  16. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Richie

Great to see your skill and indeed your obvious knowledge of this period and the uniforms

Very creative work and very interactive with each other , lovely details as well

Look forward to more updates when you can

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Richie likes this.
  17. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    There's a lot of subtle animation going on here.....but that's the measure of a complex piece like this isn't it? Not just
    the placing of an arm or a leg, but the slightest turn or twist of a torso or head that can make all the difference. To
    me one of the best exponents of such animation was the late lamented Howard 'Just call me Shep' Paine. He used to
    say that this sort of minutiae was rarely recognised by most of us, but occupies all of the sculptor's attention. There
    must be times when it's a headache, but this is such a creative piece and working really well............

Mike
    captnenglish and Richie like this.
  18. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Kev & Mike,
    Thank you very much for your kind words and support.
    cheers
    Richie

Hi All,
    Here is the Zulu scout finished, had a really good morning. He's definitely eyeing up the prize on the ground.
    cheers
    Richie
    z6.jpg z3.jpg z1.jpg z2.jpg z4.jpg z5.jpg
    Nap and captnenglish like this.
  19. Grod A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Fantastic grouping of figures Richie. This will be a corker.
    Gordon
    Richie likes this.
  20. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Gordon,
    Thank you, I hope you are well mate.

Hi All,
    Four down and one to go and I'll try and get this done in the next couple of days.
    cheers
    Richie
    IR1.jpg IR2.jpg IR3.jpg IR4.jpg
    Grod, Martin64, Nap and 2 others like this.