1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review Scientificmodels Rats quick look

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Kimmo, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Kimmo A Fixture

You know it's plaguey outside when rats start arriving in the mail. In this case, a very welcome arrival. I received a sample of Scientificmodels' Rats in 54mm and 75mm last week and had the time to take a few photos and a good look at these wee creatures. They are 6mm and 9mm in body length (not including tails) respectively, and surprisingly well detailed considering their size, along with with a slight fur texture. They are cast in standard grey resin, which is rather amazing as the feet/paws are ultra thin and petite. They also have a tendency to break off, unfortunate, but understandable and easily replaced. The tails are also very thin and are all slightly different in the amount of curl and orientation. My sample has a little flash here and there, which just flakes off leaving minimal cleanup. Extreme care will be needed removing the rats from their pour gates, especially around the tail. You get three rats per scale, each in a slightly different pose and a rock. The rock is a nice addition and looks very much like a rock. This set costs 6 euros (not including shipping) through the Scientificmodels webshop (https://en.scientificmodels.shop/pagina-prodotto/set-ratti54-75-mm), which is a fair price in my opinion. They have also started to release a number of other resin animals with more on the way, so do have a browse.

On to the photos, click to get full a full sized view:

DSC_2524.JPG

DSC_2525.JPG

DSC_2526.JPG

DSC_2527.JPG

I only took the one set of close ups, there was no point trying to do the 54mm versions as it was difficult enough to get a good shot for the 75mm one. You can see the front paws have broken off on this sample. I'm no expert on rats, but they do look the part and with a careful paint job, should add that extra touch to a scene. The 54mm rats might be usable in 1/35th scale settings as well, although they would probably be on the large side. I have no idea what the average life sized rat measures out to, but I'm sure Scientificmodels have done their homework in that department.

Overall, this a nice accessory set for your figures/vignettes/dioramas. They will add a bit of life (or death) and detail at a reasonable price. My sincerest thanks to Scientificmodels for the sample.

Kimmo
    MCPWilk and gpldsl like this.
  2. grasshopper A Fixture

Canada
    Agree with all your comments..scientific models rats right up there
    gpldsl likes this.
  3. gpldsl Well-Known Member

Italy
    to produce these rats we are working at 0.01mm so to makes cast is super difficult but I think you will like it.... for dimension: RATS has a super variability...the maximum average size is 36cm from head to tail.... is the maximum size that they have... yes of course they could be smaller but starts impossible to casting... :)
    grasshopper likes this.