1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review Scale75 Color theory by Banshee

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Venko, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Venko A Fixture

Bulgaria
    Hi,

As I always want to experiment with new painting techniques (and paints), I decided to try the popular now Color theory of mixing paints, and bought this set of artist paints from Scale75.
    This set is created with the assistance of Alfonso Giraldes "Banshee", a well known artist and figure painter.
    I was considering buying the Kimera set also, but they are next to impossible to get, so I decided to give a try to this one.
    Package is compact, with 11 artist paints, 6 inks from the Inktensity range and one White from the regular line, plus a Color wheel :)

[IMG]

[IMG]

Paints are in tubes of 20ml, seems small, but they are very dense, pigmented and creamy. I tested spraying with the airbrush very, very small quantity thinned with their thinner and was able to cover pretty big area.

[IMG]

[IMG]

They cover well, not perfect, but usually Scale75 are known for their blending style and properties. Dry matte and smooth.
    Inks are nice addition also, for achieving different fluidity of the artist paints. I quite like the inks.

Some quick mixing with only the primary-red, yellow and blue, and I was surprised how fast you can make different flesh tones, from shadows to lights, pink flesh and so on :)

[IMG]

[IMG]

You can mix also historical uniform colors, like German field grey for example-greenish, brownish, blueish etc.

[IMG]

I was able to mix also gold, copper, bronze and steel colors, popular for the Non metallic metal technique (although I like the true metallics more).

[IMG]

Overall I like this set, paints are very well chosen from Banshee, and I can't wait to try them on a figure, mixing colors seems very fun :)

I bought it from here:
    https://www.pk-pro.de/Scale75-Color-Theory-Banshee-11x20mL-7x17mL-Colorwheel

A very nice video from Alfonso Giraldes himself:
    KenBoyle, Trep, Hawk_Uk and 7 others like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Venko

Thanks for sharing this , mght be nice to have it also in the reviews section with links etc

I have the Kimera but these look interesting

Happy benchtime

Stay safe

Nap
    Venko likes this.
  3. Venko A Fixture

Bulgaria
    Hi, Nap

What links do you mean, where I bought it?

I really wanted to try Kimera also, but it was out of stock everywhere and I watched for 2-3 months, there was no restock in most shops, even single colors :(

I'm waiting for the dwarf Broin Bearsonn from Scale75 and I will test these on him, I hope it will arrive soon.

Regards!
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi

Sorry yes where did you get them plus any other details

Look forward to your test

Happy benchtime

Nap
  5. Venko A Fixture

Bulgaria
    OK, I added where I bought it and a link to a video from Banshee himself, he explains very well how this set is created with some demonstration of mixing.

Nap, you could move the post in the review section, if you think is more appropriate for there.

Regards!
    Nap likes this.
  6. yellowcat A Fixture

Canada
    Venko likes this.
  7. Venko A Fixture

Bulgaria
    yellowcat likes this.
  8. Venko A Fixture

Bulgaria
    My only criticism is that they didnt cut windows in the outer row of colors on the back side of the wheel. There were solid colors and I had to cut out the windows with sharp knife. Maybe printing error, I don't know if this is the case for all batches or just mine.
    Not a big deal though :)

[IMG]

Test with the airbrush, they spray nicely with their thinner, smooth and matte. I didn't prime the spoons, and was surprised that they have good grip even on bare plastic after overnight drying.
    Of course I always prime the surfaces, just wanted to see how it will be without primer ;)
    Their new thinner I like very much, absolutely no agressive odor (important for sensitive to solvents people), even smells like syrup or juice-like wildberry or similar, I didn't drink it though :D
    I have to experiment more with ratios and maybe flow improver, but the pigment is very fine and thins perfectly.

[IMG]

Regards!
    KenBoyle, DaddyO, Nap and 2 others like this.
  9. No3l Active Member

Thanks for your review Venko, I’ve been lucky enough to find kimera ones few months ago but you definitely make me willing to try these ones too.

For those interested in kimera ones there’s a Facebook group Kimerakolors where (at least before the italian lockdown due to Covid) they were announcing with few days advance when they would have been restocking on pegaso website. That’s the way I make it last time..

Cheers
    Ale
    Nap likes this.
  10. Venko A Fixture

Bulgaria
    Kimera say that because of the lockdown production stopped and they don't know when will start again. Probably not soon.

But Scale75 are available in most shops :)
    Nap likes this.
  11. No3l Active Member

Forgot to ask .. @venko you’ve mentioned that you’ve used their thinner but that one is not included in the same set right?
  12. Venko A Fixture

Bulgaria
    Correct-the thinner is not included, sorry I forgot to mention, I bought it separately, also black artist paint and a watercolor brush pen-I've seen interesting use of that :)
    It is shown what is in the box on the first pictures of the review ;)

[IMG]
    KenBoyle and No3l like this.
  13. No3l Active Member

Well in the end I cut the order for the set.. and “few” more items on the site you’ve indicated (pk-pro) .. they really have a lot of choice on various materials .. thanks for the heads up! Ale
    Venko likes this.