1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Scale Model Handbook, WWII Special Vol.4 IS OUT!

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by Stelios Demiras, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Stelios Demiras A Fixture

Greece
    WWII Special Vol.4 IS OUT! For more information check the link: https://bit.ly/2LZHC9q

This volume is the 35th edition in Mr Black Publications’ “Scale Model Handbook” series, and the fourth in that series entirely dedicated to what took place between 1939-1945, which has since been described in Western histories as “The Second World War”.

The wartime themes herein are numerous and feature extended articles about models, dioramas, vignettes and figures, especially in 1/35 scale, where we’ve managed to assemble many representative examples from our well-known regular contributors, who’ve been with us from the beginning. We’ve added some articles from newer and very talented modellers that we feel will interest our readers. Our thanks go to everyone for their excellent work and dedication, which helped achieve this project… Our new contributors are Lieven Terryn, Eduardo Fernandez Rodriguez, Fabrizio Marini and Carlos Muñoz de Bustillo. As always, thanks are due to our regular and well-known stalwarts, Selu Casanova, Ernesto Reyes Stalhuth and Toshihiro Sano.

We must also thank our friends, partners and supporters from the manufacturing fraternity… Pietro Balloni and Luca Marchetti (Pegaso Models), Darren Parker-Mead (Tommy’s War), Stuart Hale (Stormtrooper Miniatures), Alexander Surzhenko (Masterbox Ltd), Alexey Lukanev (Irbis Miniatures), Man Jin Kim (MJ Miniatures), Young B. Song (Young Miniatures), Taesung Harmms (Alpine Miniatures), Daniel Buchtela (Model Scene), DG Artwork (Dae Hyoung Kim), Alex Vallejo (Vallejo Acrylics), Fernando Vallejo (AK-Interactive), Ben Mirson and Alina Rizhko (both from Miniart Models).

Finally, we extend our thanks to Ken Jones for his valuable help in editing our contributors’ texts, which have to be translated into English from the many different languages within our worldwide contributor base. His knowledge and advice help us lend a unique final touch to all our publications.

Hopefully you’ll enjoy our new book, but above all, keep modelling!

Stelios Demiras
    Editor and Publisher
    Mr Black Publications

CONTENTS WORLD WAR II SPECIAL VOL.4

4 Ramcke Brigade, Libya 1942 - Building a Diorama Featuring an Abandoned Kettenkrad and Detailed Commercial Plastic Figures in a Desert Setting - 50mm (1/35)

18 Waffen SS Machine Gunner 1944 - Painting The Skin Tones, a Late Pattern SS Camouflage Smock And Equipment of a Young Soldier - 180mm (1/10)

26 “Dansei No Meiyo” - Japanese Officer, Pacific Offensive - How to Build and Paint a Resin Figure Step-By-Step… A Complete Painting Guide Using Acrylic Paints Applied with an Airbrush and A Paintbrush - 75mm (1/25)

36 Brothers in Arms in Northern Italy 1944 - Creating a Unique World War Two Vignette Comprising Commercially Available Figures and Accessories Using Simple Conversions and Scratch Building Techniques - 50mm (1/35)

44 British Paratrooper, Operation Market Garden 1944 - Painting a British Denison Camouflage Smock and Equipment with Tamiya Enamels - 180mm (1/10)

52 The Last Bullet - How to Build a Realistic WWII Scene Using Commercial Products - 50mm (1/35)

62 American Paratrooper - 101st Airborne Division WWII “Currahee” - Painting a Large Scale Bust of a WWII American Paratrooper with Acrylic Paints - 180mm (1/10)

74 “Battaglione Barbarigo” in Northern Italy Late 1944 - Creating a Unique WWII Figure in a Scenic Setting Using Converted Commercial Figure Parts - 50mm (1/35)

78 After the Battle 1944-1945 - Painting Waffen SS Grenadiers in Winter Uniforms for the Manufacturer’s Box Art Using Tamiya Enamels - 50mm (1/35)

CONTRIBUTORS
    Carlos Muñoz de Bustillo - Selu Casanova - Fabrizio Marini - Eduardo Fernandez Rodriguez - Toshihiro Sano - Ernesto Reyes Stalhuth - Lieven Terryn

A4 FORMAT
    84 PAGES
    MATT LAMINATED COVER
    BINDING
    ISSN 2459-3311
    01_COVER_WWII_SPECIAL_VOL.4_SMALL.jpg 01a_BACK_COVER_Vol4_SMALL.jpg
    1a_Ramcke_p4-17_SMALL.jpg 2a_Young_Waffen_18-25_SMALL.jpg 3a_Japanese_p26-35_SMALL.jpg 4a_Brothers in Arms_p36-43_SMALL.jpg 5a_British Para_p44-51_SMALL.jpg 6a_The_last_Bullet_p52-61_SMALL.jpg 7a_American_p62-73_SMALL.jpg 7d_American_p62-735_SMALL.jpg 8a_Barbarigo_p74-77_SMALL.jpg

Attached Files:

T50, Reptor, arkangelo and 1 other person like this.
  2. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice to see a couple of Italian subjects in there among the Usual Suspects, and I like the vignette with the car.

- Steve
    Chris Oldfield likes this.
  3. Jaybo Well-Known Member

United-States
    Just what is needed....another SS/WW II subject matter Mr. Black book. How about the period of 1700-1850?
    Babelfish likes this.
  4. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I'd be all over that and it would be a refreshing change. But I suspect that it's the same old story of "WW2 sells". Hence more of the same.

- Steve
    Jaybo likes this.
  5. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Looking forward to ordering a copy when Historex Agents receive their stock, Stelios.
    Loads of inspiration if you like WW2 subjects - I particularly like the Japanese officer & Ramcke Brigade vignette.
  6. Stelios Demiras A Fixture

Greece
    Dear friends of planetfigure,
    thank you for your comments. Just to give you a number. Suppose the Figure Modelling sells 50 books per month, the WWII Special (even if the price is 10 euros higher) sells 200 books. But also most of my contributors now they paint WWII subjects. I made the TC_02 (Crusaders) and TC_03 (Ancients), the sales are very poor....unfortunately. But I will continue to make the Theme Collection books so to give the opportunity to the people that they like only one or two periods to get their copy even if the sales are not as expected. Next will be the Allied Military Forces in Scale. ...Anyway how many editions (printed matter) with historical themes are now in the market?
    The Japanese officer article is a really very detailed SBS article and Eduardo uses both brush and airbrush with an excellent result as you can see. What can we say for the diorama by Lieven Terryn...Awesome work! All of the works are astonishing! I am very pleased that I managed to collect all these masterpieces that will inspired all, believe me! And I must thank all of the artists that they share their secrets with us!

have nice modelling Holidays!!!
  7. fabrizio19691969 A Fixture

many thanks you too for the oportunity