1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Open Book Scale Model Handbook Volume 3 From Mr Black Publications

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Nap, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    kev 330.jpg Hi Guys ,

When I receive a book I am always happy (you should see my reference library!!!) this certainly brought a smile to my face .....and kept me quiet for many an hour (Carole says thanks Stelios)

I am going to do this slightly differently by looking at each article and highlighting things from it found of use/interest , then after all are done I will post some pictures ....after my camera has finished charging :X3: ...technology eh :eek: !!!!

So this is not so much an open box as an open book and what a nice book I have to open .

It is of course one from Mr Black Publications , this time its volume 3 in the series , following on from the previous 2 which I also did reviews on , here are the links :

Vol 1 : http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/scale-model-handbook-1-figure-modelling-1.46172/watch-confirm

Vol 2 : http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/scale-model-handbook-figure-modelling-2.48080/watch-confirm

TDemiras
    Title: Scale Model Handbook 3

Published by: Mr Black Publications

Editor : Stelios Demiras

Proof Reading by : Ken Jones/Charles Davis

Artwork by: Maria Dimou

ISBN: 2241-1054

Price: 14.95 euro's plus shipping

I ordered my copy direct from Mr Black though the website , this was easily done , with no problems , being updated on the order progress by Stelios .

As with the others in the series shipping was quick , I received mine in under a week , it was carefully packed firstly being beincarefully wrapped and sealed inside and then put into a cardboard cover ..no chance of my postman bending it!!!

The book itself is A4 size, with a matt laminated soft covered consisting of a total of 50 pages (52 with covers) , printed on top quality paper with as before recommended on the cover by Pegaso.

Contents:

The artiicle consist of a total of 8 (4 full figure using Pegaso and "oh joy of joys" 4 using Young Miniatures busts ..ye hah (y) :love: !!!!)

Painting using all mediums is covered ..Oils, Acrylics and enamels .

Book contributors:

• GRIGORIS MARMATAKIS

• MANOLIS MITSOTAKIS

• CHRISTOS PANAGIOTOPOULOS

• ERNESTO REYES STALHUTH

CHRISTOS STAMATOPOULOS

• KAZUFUMI TOMORI

Articles:

Page 4 SS Sturmbannführer of the Artillery - 90mm.

Page 14 U-Boat Crew WWII - 180mm bust

Page16 Soviet Naval Infantry WWII, “The Black Devil”- 180mm bust

Page18 Gallic Chieftain 1st Century B.C. - 75mm.

Page 30 General Marcus Antonius 83-30 B.C. - 180mm bust

Page 32 Pausanias at the Battle of Plataea - 90mm.

Page 38 Emmanuel De Grouchy (1766 -1847) - 75mm.

Page 42 German Fallschirmjäger 1944 – 180mm bust

Continued in next post:

Nap

View attachment 102680
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Before I start looking at each article , I should just like to say that the text in all of them is an easy and enjoyable read , full of SBS ,colour mixes and suggestions from each of the articles author.

In addition to the text the colour images are excellent , bright and fresh ....these include both SBS and completed one of the chosen subject .

Lets begin then looking at what is also on the front cover of the book :

SS Sturmbannführer of the Artillery - 90mm.
    kev 331.jpg
    Those that know this figure know that it is one of attitude , with many differnt surface to investigate when painting....and we have a dog as well!!

What stood out for me in this article ...3 things really the face painting , the leather coat (always something I find a challenge) and the approach to the terrain .....in the article there are lots of mixes ....a good start

Now No2:
    Page 14 U-Boat Crew WWII - 180mm bust
    kev 332.jpg
    A bust ..happy already , , painting a bust needs IMO a different approach as the surface are larger ,consisting of 2 pages one full of the mixes used (my note book is full!!!) the other the image no SBS (for any of the busts) , covering all area's of the subject including painting binoculars and metallics..suffice to say the colour image is great as well .

No 3 :
    Page16 Soviet Naval Infantry WWII, “The Black Devil”- 180mm bust
    kev 333.jpg
    Yet another bust (getting spolit now Stelios!!) , again it consists of 2 pages full of mixes , what impressed me was the cap band writing and the bandoliers particularly useful , painting the black uniform ..good info .

No 4 :
    Page18 Gallic Chieftain 1st Century B.C. - 75mm.
    kev 334.jpg
    Its back to a full figure and what a figure to choose , painted by Ernesto Reyes from this very forum , this has a total of 12 pages absolutely packed with SBS, mixes , images which work well with the text..what stood out or me ..the metallics and the leathers . the tartan cloak and with the way the "bloodied" sword was treated .....after all, this reading and note taking I took time out to admire the finished pictures ...wonderful Ernesto .

No 5:
    Page 30 General Marcus Antonius 83-30 B.C. - 180mm bust

kev 335.jpg
    With this article its back to a bust (phew(y)) , again the article consists of 2 pages , 1 full of mixes , into the notebook went the beard and the cloak mixes and then admiring sighs of the image !!!!

No 6:
    Page 32 Pausanias at the Battle of Plataea - 90mm.
    kev 336.jpg
    This time this article spread over 6 pages , 2 being full colour images , the remaining being interspursed with a mass of mixes ,all complimented by SBS pictures , 3 things stood out for me the groundwork (love the way it goes over the edge) the cloak but most of all the shield an amazing paintjob.

No 7:
    Page 38 Emmanuel De Grouchy (1766 -1847) - 75mm.
    kev 337.jpg
    This subject is one that is dear to my heart (yes I have a bust version!!!) , spread over a total of 4 pages 2 being the completed model (I a single image the other has 4 different views) .
    As before a mass of mixes with SBS all well written , for me what jumped out was the painting of the green cape and the hat using NMM methods ..yes that went into the notebook!!!!

Finally No 8:
    Page 42 German Fallschirmjäger 1944 – 180mm bust
    kev 338.jpg
    To end the book we have a bust ":singing: oh happy days:singing: " Thanks Stelios .....this time the article consist of 9 pages , 2 are of the finished model , there are furter images packed into the text and on full pages spreads
    ..this is a favourit bust of mine , of interest to me was the fact that the author uses a dark blue and an orange to define the shadows and the highlights ..something I will try I think . what did I like in the article , the info on use of different products including Jo Sonja acrylics , the fact the camo has been broken down into the different colours and the techniques used on the shovel together with the authors comments on painting reflection colours.

I am sure you will agree a great variation in the articles .

Continued in next post:
    Nap
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys
    My Final thoughts :

Like the others in the series this is a book that is well produced , , full of superb colour and a very readable text ( its almost like the authors are reading it to you !!!)
    The articles are excellent (perhaps all the busts being given the same amount of pages ..well I would say that I suppose ...this in no way affected the enjoyment I encountered when I was readng the book) . they are well written by authors that obviously are at the top of our hobby .

Price the same as before , the presentation and paper quality of everything is 1st class , resulting in it being amongst the books that I will refer back to time and time again .

The book IS inspirational , so if you buy no other for your bookshelf buy this one ..you won't regret it .

This is book 3 covering Figure Modelling and I will be getting No 4.......5, 6 etc...........(y)

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Available from :

Historex Agents

Bookworld Wholesale
    (www.bookworldws.co.uk)

In Germany via
    Berliner Zinnfiguren
    (www.zinnfigur.com)

In Australia via
    Firestorm Models
    (www.firestormmodels.com)

or contact Stelios direct via his website:

www.mrblackpublications.com

Nap

PS : While you are on Stelios's website why not gave a good look around there is loads more stuff on it ..particularly like the World in Scale link
  4. Jazz A Fixture

England
    Nice review Kev. Now youre back its easy to see youre back on form and theres no stopping you.
  5. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    Kevin:

Thanks for taking the time to review this product (and others in the past)(y)

I haven't as yet had an opportunity to see one 'in the flesh'. Just wondering...even although you stated there is a use of mixed mediums, am I wrong in assuming it still leans toward acrylic painting? Although I'm an oil man, I have tried my hand at acrylics. It's just I'm rubbish with them.

Cheers
    Paul
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    Paul ,
    No probs on the review , the book uses mainly acrylics but for example also using oils on top of the flesh areas on the busts, or on the shadows on de Grouchy , the book is full of hints and idea's.

Keep giving the Acrylics a go (use W &N blending medium to give you a longer working time) ....I can't use Oils (why not try W & N water soluable oils from the Artisan range..I use these with Acrylics ...and they don't taste so bad as full blown Oils!!)

Jazz,
    Yes I am back ..but must discipline myself to paint as well as there is a some bloke who seems too be painting a lot ...YOU !!!!! .... glad you enjoy the reviews ..next up will be a medeival billman from The Basemet Range sculpted by Rob Lane.

Off to work now !!:cry:

Nap