1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Open Book Scale Model Handbook No5 From Mr Black Publications

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Nap, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi to all in this great world of ours ,
    Following on from Stelios's original announcment of the release of Vol 5 in the series from Mr Black Publications http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/scale-model-handbook-5-figure-modelling-5-is-out.52710/

Its my pleasure to spend a couple of hours doing the review for him .

This time its Volume No 5 , the other 4 are proving to be a great addition to my reference library

The links to the other 4 I have reviewed are below:

Vol 1 : http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/scale-model-handbook-1-figure-modelling-1.46172/watch-confirm

Vol 2 : http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/scale-model-handbook-figure-modelling-2.48080/watch-confirm

Vol 3 : http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/scale-model-handbook-volume-3-from-mr-black-publications.51044/watch-confirm

Vol 4:http://www.planetfigure.com/threads...rom-mr-black-publications.52178/watch-confirm

..the question is will No 5 be a much looked at volume

What are we looking at then:

Title: Scale Model Handbook 5

Published by: Mr Black Publications

Editor : Stelios Demiras

Proof Reading by : Ken Jones

Artwork by: Maria Dimou

ISBN: 2241-1054

Price: 14.95 euro's plus shipping

Contents include 8 articles all with full colour pictures (except the sculpting article)

Officer of the Tsar’s Guard Russia, 1830 – 75mm.

‘Hajduk’ Serbian War of Independence – 75mm.

Addih-Hiddisch- 120mm.

Attila, King of the Huns, A.D. 451 – 54mm.

Australian “Digger”, Kokoda Trail c.1942 – 180m

Sculpting a German Reversible Winter Parka – 50mm.

Sgt Connor, Serpentian Heavy Infantry – 54mm.

Sergeant Bernard Mc Cabe, Sobraon, 1846 – 120mm.

Contributors:
    MikeButler, Fernando Ruiz Ceano, Javier González (Arsies), Grigoris Marmatakis, Aleksander Michelotti, Ernesto Reyes Stalhuth, Aleksander Zelenkov.

A4 Format (21cm X28 cm)

52 pages

Matt Laminate card covers

Initial thoughts after a quick flick through before I read it cover to cover is that Vol 5 is well on a par wiith the others in the series .

Colour representation is really very good , clear with a strong presebce in the articles . the text is easily read and contains a mass of information on techniques and mixes used including prep before you even pick up a brush .

The book is endorsed (as are the others) by Pegaso so its obviously a series that they are more than happy to be associated with .

Continued in next post:

Nap

[IMG]
    Mike - The Kiwi likes this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    As in previous reviews lets have alook at the articles individually :

Firstly : Officer ofthe Tsar's Guard 1830

Using a Pegaso figure which ooozes quality the author Alexander take sus through the way he prepped up the pices including comments about holding the figure when painting , this article covers painting Red . Metal and Leather and also involves using Printers inks .

Masking is also very important and he highlights the use of this medium in protecting the base etc ...good details particularly when painting metallics.

Also in the article are information on the use of different types of acrylics (well have'nt we all got lots of pots everywhere!!!) .

Painting of armour is covered , flesh painting is also included , I particularly was interested in the painting of Reds and leather area's .

The article covers a total of 11 pages all packed with full colour pictures including SBS pictures and full page ones of the completed figure.

Great start to the book

Continued in next post:

Nap

SALONI_TSAR.jpg
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Moving on now to article 2 this time its written by Grigoris the subject being

"Hajduk" Serbian War of Independence

Again a Pegaso figure is used this time the author combines both Acrylics and Oils to obtain the finished model , he also includes the use of Vallejo's Game Clour and Mig pigments together with making full use of the Andrea Paint sets ..

Of interest to me was the way he tackled the whites always a hard thing to do , as in article one Reds are also covered but acheiving a different finish (less parade finish as in article 1) ...all very informative. .

Also covered is the painting of the weapons again all veru useful to even the more experienced modeller .

The article covers a total of 3 full pages with 2 of them having full colour views on them of the completed figure .

Continued in next post:

Nap

SALONI_HADJUK.jpg
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Article 3 is one that features on the cover of the book this time its an American Indian Chief namely:

Addih-Hiddisch

The article uses this time a superb figure from the Stormtroopers range and is produced by our very own Ernesto , again using various painting mediums including Model Colour and Printers Inks , he also includes the useof a valuable tool......the Dremel . . to remove casting blocks .

Indian flesh colouring often causes problems when painting a figure ..Ernesto has provided a veritable chapter on this and how he approaches it .

Our subject has mant tattoos and this is also covered very well , these can be often over worked on some subjects , the author has achieved a great level of detail on these .

Fur is also covered , how the effect is achieved .

Groundwork is also so important to the final presentation and this is also coveredin depth .

The article covers a total of 8 pages of which 7 are in full colour

Great colour mixes throughout (as in all articles with the exception of the sculpting one)

Continued in next post:

Nap

saloni_indianos.jpg
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Article 4 uses a subject that is so well known , this time its using a model produced by Art Girona and is written by Fernando .

Attila , King of the Huns AD 451g

The aim of this article isto look at and enhance the character of the subject , his ruggedness and that "look" he has , arms folded together, determinedand powerful ...has this been achieved ...most definately YES.

He paints fleshwork in a very distinctive style which matches the figure's attitude perfectly , materials used include Model Colour and game Colour both by Vallejo .

The painting of the fur cloak is perfect and so well described , this together with the amazing groundwork produces a figure that is so distinctive and results in a cracking piece , all of which is highlighted by the author using recurring tones throughout .

The article covers a total of 4 pages ( 1 full page in colour the others have colour on them , 1 being details of the paints used ).

Continued in next post:

Nap

SALONI_ATTILA.jpg
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    Article No 5 is my type of model ..its a bust !!!!!

Using a great bust from AC Models of a battle hardened soldier namely

Australian "Digger" Kokoda Trail c 1942

This is a subject that crys out for a very distinctive style of painting to present the fatigue and sweating that happened when fighting in the hell hole of the Kokoda trail .

The aim of the article is mainly looking at Textures and Body hair , thsi is penned and painted by another member of PF "Mike the Kiwi" ...he has achieved an amazing amount of wonderful effects including sweat dripping ...great

Full colour mixes are included for the flesh which is pallid and covered in sores and minor wounds ...does he succeed ...a veritable and loud YES .

Painting of the body hair is also included ..details of this has gone into my many notebooks ....thanks Mike .

Also covered is the painting of the Bren Gun ...all very impressive indeed .

Although the article only has 2 pages (1 which is in full colour) the amount of information is spot on ...lets hope we see more from Mike in future books .

Continued i next post:n

Nap

SALONI_DIGGER.jpg
    Mike - The Kiwi likes this.
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    Our next article No 6 is a complete departure from the others in this and previous books its a sculpting article ,written by Alexander , this time concentrating on:

Sculpting a German Reversible Parka (using a 50mm figure from Stalingrad figures ).

I will never be a sculptor but was inspired by this article , it has only concentrated on the parka ..why ..quite simply because if it did the whole figure the whole books would be this1 article I feel .

Materials used include A+B putty , vaseline , lead foil etc

The article is literally a total SBS on working with sculpting putty's . using wire armature , the use of sculpting tools , the placing of the mixed putty prior to actually forming it to the required shape ..

Producing folds and fit of pouches and the effect they have on materials are also included .

The article has a total of 8 full pages absolutely crammed with SBS pictures , this article made a refreshing change to all the painted articles and was most welcome to your reviewer.

Continued in next post:

Nap

SALONI_SCULPT.jpg
  8. Nap Moderator

England
    Article 7 nows uses a figure from Andrea and is :

Sgt Conner , Serpentian Heavy Infantry

Written by Javier , using his incredible knowledge of NMM (Non Metallic Metals) he produces an absolutely stunning figure , using Model Colour and Air Colur together with Citadel paints .

He gives a complete listing of all colours used , and in particular the use of 'bluechrome' on fantasy figures ...the result is so effective its frightning !!!!!

I am not a fantasy painter but I love this article in particular .....a great result by using the techniques described .

Javier also includes the painting of Sgt Conners face ...nice contrast to all that NMM

The article has a total of 6 full pages all have colour (3 are full page pictures)

Continued in next post:

Nap

SALONI_STARCRAFT.jpg
  9. Nap Moderator

England
    The final article moves back to the military uniform and uses another figure from Stormtroopers :

Sgt Bernard Mc Cabe , Sobraon, 1st Sikh War 1846

The figure depicts the Sgt in the act of winning his his commisiom holding the regimental colours and leading on his men

The article is written again by Javier , what a subject he has chosen and what a fitting end to the publication , in the article Javier uses an airbrush together with brushses , using various acrylics includng Model Colour and Air Colour , the airbrush he uses is an Iwata one .

Painting of the very dark blue trousers together with the battle worn jacket and of course the bullet riddle colour he carrys in his hand.

Proving that even top painters are human , he was "reminded " that cheverons needed to be painted ...not an easy job but as he says he got away with it !!!!

A very informative article as usual , the painting of the colour is of particular interest , as painting large area's of resin often causes problems .

Continued in next post:

Nap
    SALONI_SHMAIA.jpg
  10. Nap Moderator

England
    My final thoughts on this book:

Another well produced publication fromMr Black , the articles are varied and informative , colour representation and readability of the text are very good throughout .

The series has developed into a great series of top class painting (and now sculpting) articles , all which provide a platform and showcase for all to display and sharetheir skills .

All articles are well written and enjoyable ..a pleasure to review and share with all of you .

What wil be next in Volume 6 ...we shall have to wait and see .

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

the books can be got from the following :

USA:
    http://www.michtoy.com/item-MBP SMHFM5-Scale_Model_Handbook_Figure_Modeling_5.html

UK
    Historex of course in addition to :

Bookworld Wholesale: http://www.bookworldws.co.uk/scale-model-handbook-figure-modelling-p-5711.html

El Greco Miniatures: http://www.elgrecominiatures.co.uk

Arcane Miniatures: http://www.arcaneminiatures.co.uk/m...arch_form=Scale Model handbook&Go=Go&ID=36764

Germany
    Berliner Zinnfiguren: http://www.zinnfigur.com/product_in...language=en&osCsid=pstophtab8naf0pal39pi37i60

Australia
    Firestorm Models: http://www.firestormmodels.com/store/product.php?productid=9306&cat=0&featured=Y

Nap
  11. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I have them all now.
    But I gonna mis some things; I would like to see some shows covered with pictures. Maybe some pages with new figures.
    If not asked to much: some uniforms, weapons, etc.
    Maybe it's gonna then to much to the Figurine but far beyond that with the great quality pictures and painting how to's.
    And I must admit: I'm not so interest in mixes.....almost acrylic and as a oilpainter nothing for me. And it is always difficult to mix the same color again.
    Would love to see a test with brushes......
    There is so much more then acrylic paintmixes.
    But as said: a welcome magazine, and i'm waiting for nmr 6.

marc
  12. Arsies Active Member

Spain
    Thank you for your words about my articles :) i'm happy you liked them.

Just a little comment. My airbrush is not an iwata one, is a Harder & steenbeck ( http://www.harder-airbrush.eu/ ). maybe my fault translating the articles from spanish, i'm sory about this confusion.
  13. Don Well-Known Member

Hey Nap, tried to look at your reviews for the other 4 books (christmas presents) but the links dont work.
    Do you have another way of finding out about them.
    Like No. 5 so will perhaps add some others.

Don
  14. Jimmy S Well-Known Member

Australia
  15. Nap Moderator

England
  16. Nap Moderator

England

Its computer thickie here Don , not sure why the links are not happenning , can I suggest you do a search fro Scale Model Handbook and my usser ID napoleonpeart you should pick up all of the other 4 reviews ..needless to say wahichever you get you will not be dissapointed (Mr Black has deals on multi purchases on his website)

Nap
  17. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    You are way to kind Kev! Appreciate positive comments & glad that the painting detail was helpful.
    Was a treat to finally be published, something that has been on my bucket list.
    Hoping I can reach Stelios's standards for another book. Working hard on my Maori 28th Battalion figure as a possible feature.
    Will have to see...

Look forward to hearing what others thought of this.

Have a safe festive season with all your family & friends.

Mike