1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Scale Model Handbook, Figure Modelling 1, 2nd Edition!

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by Stelios Demiras, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Stelios Demiras A Fixture

Greece
    Mike - The Kiwi, Reptor and Babelfish like this.
  2. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Just wondering, why change the cover? Are all the other "single figure cover" issues now getting a 2nd edition with a new cover?

Not a criticism by the way, just curious. Either version works for me.

- Steve
  3. Stelios Demiras A Fixture

Greece
    Hello Steve,
    After about 10 years in this market we are sure that the multiple themes cover sells better. This is probably because most of the customers attracted by the cover (or not attracted) and do not bother to check all the themes of the book. We do like the one theme cover as it looks more elegant but the numbers are telling to do otherwise. And we must consider that the historical figures market is shrinking (at least in our part, selling books I mean) so each sale is needed. How many of us bought modelling books from traditional physical shop latest?

Best regards
    Stelios
    Babelfish likes this.
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Stelios

I hope this is a success but do wonder if sales will happen with just a cover change but same content as original

Visually the 2nd version looks better IMO

You obviously know the market better than I could ever

I woukd like to see a edition with brand new content rather than a compilation from previous numbers

Just my thoughts

Nap
  5. Reptor A Fixture

Japan
    Great news ! Thnak for this :) (y)
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I echo that.

marc
  7. Stelios Demiras A Fixture

Greece
    We have a new one coming. In the printers now. WWII Special Vol.4, 84 pages, totally new contents! Available for preorders only. Shipping for this one will start in 20 days!
    Best Regards
    Stelios
    01_COVER_WWII_SPECIAL_VOL.4_SMALL.jpg 01a_BACK_COVER_Vol4_SMALL.jpg
    Mike - The Kiwi and Nap like this.
  8. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I quite like the "themed" volumes because the regular editions aren't cheap so a lot of guys might hesitate at regularly shelling out 14 quid plus shipping just to get one or two articles. So from time to time bringing articles together under a common theme - either from back issues or in an all-new special edition - seems to make sense.

- Steve
    Redcap and Nap like this.
  9. Stelios Demiras A Fixture

Greece
    Dear Steve and Kevin,
    That is why we start doing Theme Collection Books. But our regular Figure Modelling is our flagship so must be in the market even if now only twice per year. This is not because we decided to do so but because gathering different historical themes with different artists and painting approaches getting more difficult. We saw that the Theme Collection are selling rather well. We have programmed also a Diorama Modelling book, the 3rd one for the new year! Will be an awesome book believe me. From my point I am trying to print books that the contents are ok for my taste and when I have a good material I will print. That is why I did not make any of the series with subscription. The customers spend very carefully their money nowadays so our editions must worth any penny!:):)
    I would like to hear your opinions! From you, my dedicate customer and from you that you did not buy any single book yet:):)

Best Regards
    Stelios
    Nap and Babelfish like this.
  10. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    It's always a quality publication Stelios, even though I'm only an occasional buyer.

I'm looking forward to the 3rd Dioramas special. I'll most likely pick that one up.

Interestingly, unlike other modelling mags you almost never see back issues of Mr. Blacks being sold off cheap on eBay or on modelling forums.

- Steve
    Redcap and Nap like this.