1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Scale 75 The Casualty List

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Tony Dawe, May 23, 2019.

1. Tony Dawe A Fixture

Australia
    I’ve just taken delivery of a new figure , Scale 75’s The Casualty List, and I was hoping someone could tell me what regiment and rank the figure represents? He seems to be a Major General so is it an actual person from history, or a generic Union general. I’d like to get some insights so I can ground this figure in some historical context. 216E6488-785A-4873-9870-8A5B8F17F16C.jpeg
    Viking Bob likes this.
  2. tomifune A Fixture

United-States
    Nap, Viking Bob and Banjer like this.
  3. Tony Dawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Bob. Absolutely perfect mate. I have what I require to get started.
    tomifune likes this.
  4. Nap Moderator

England

If I may

Lt. Col. Williamson, 6th Virginia Infantry

The wounded officer depicted in this painting, Lieutenant Colonel Henry Watson Williamson, of the 6th Virginia Infantry, was born 23 September 1823 to Thomas and Anne Williamson in Norfolk, Virginia. After graduating from the Virginia Military Institute in 1845, he served in Braxton Bragg's battery during the Mexican War and returned to Virginia to work as a civil engineer prior to the outbreak of war.

When Virginia seceded, Williamson enlisted as a private in the local militia, nicknamed the "Southern Guard," which ultimately became Company G of the 6th Virginia Infantry on 19 April 1861. Company G marched off to war wearing distinctive uniforms of black trousers, a red flannel shirt, and a black shako. The unit saw service in the Department of Norfolk early in the war, where Williamson performed engineering duties on Craney Island, Virginia.

In 1862, assigned to the brigade of Brigadier General William B. Mahone, the 6th Virginia elected Williamson as its Lieutenant Colonel in May. Shortly thereafter, he led the regiment through the Seven Days' Campaign on the Peninsula. On 30 August 1862 at Second Manassas, Williamson took a wound in the right hip. His regiment fought at Antietam, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, and Bristoe Station.

Wounded in the right hand during the Wilderness Campaign of May 1864, Williamson remained with the regiment only to be wounded a second time, losing his left hand, at Spotsylvania. Despite these injuries, Williamson remained in the army for the battle of the Crater at Petersburg on 30 July 1864.

Drawing on siege warfare techniques from previous centuries, coupled with developments in mining and explosive, the Federals tunneled their way underneath Confederate lines, where they planted 8,000 pounds of explosives. At approximately 4:45 A.M., the four tons of gunpowder detonated, ripping a hole 170 feet long, 60-80 feet wide, and 30 feet deep.

The Union army had indeed achieved a horrific surprise; however mismanged the follow-up attack. The battle of the Crater turned from an incredible opportunity into a sad slaughter.

The 6th Virginia led the charge of the brigade against the Federal forces in the Crater. Met by volleys from the Union defenders and a storm of case shot from the artillery, the Virginians suffered terrible casualties in their headlong charge. "Every company left more than half its numbers among the dead or wounded," recalled Sergeant Cross. The 6th Virginia sent a scant one hundred men into the battle - and suffered eighty killed or wounded (a loss rate comparable to that of the 1st Minnesota at Gettysburg). Here Williamson suffered his third wound in less than three months; it required amputation of the remainder of his left arm.

Lieutenant Colonel Williamson returned to civilian life in Lexington, Virginia, where he became assistant professor and later librarian at V.M.I. By 1876 he worked as a construction engineer for the Eastern Seaboard Railroad. He died in 1884 and is buried on the grounds of V.M.I.

image.jpeg

Nap
  5. Tony Dawe A Fixture

Australia
  6. Nap Moderator

England

No worries ...you finished it yet ...LOL

Looking forward to seeing this progress

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Tony Dawe likes this.