1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

SBS -New Big base for 2 75mm figures vigniette

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Major_Goose, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    [IMG]

Hi guys and girls .

This is a small SBS on a big base I did for mounting 2 Pegaso 75 mm figures , The Marcomanic and Germanic Warriors, that will be painted from me and a good greek friend of mine . So I paint - again – the Marcomanic and he paints the Germanic.

SO here it is, in brief steps the main moves I did to make this base . I hope u like it and its useful for base lovers like me , or also figure painters that like to enhance the overall presentation.

Since I know well that pictures speak for thousands of words , I have gotten a big bunch of them for u !! So see and enjoy . All comments and questions are welcome.

Have fun guys

1)Starting

Initial setup and volumes making with polyurethane foam over a wooden base and wooden sticks fro supporters.

Trying also the first , home casted plaster rocks that will create the sides .

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

2) Basic structure has been made and almost finalized more or less. White glue holds rock and fills some seams . The two big rocks in front are the ones to hold the 2 figures. I have used the original metal base “footprints” of the kits bases, and sculpt the rest of the rock with epoxy putty .

[IMG]

[IMG]

3) “Holes” in structure are filled with epoxy putty , and some more rocks and ground texture is sculpted also with this material.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    3) “Holes” in structure are filled with epoxy putty , and some more rocks and ground texture is sculpted also with this material.

[IMG]

[IMG]

4) Making a tree from wire armature and using , sea foam for branching and forest litter for leaves

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  3. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    5) Paintjob of the ground elements, and adding ground material - Also first check on trees placement

[IMG]

Applying the greenery on the base to see the look of it , and get some color

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  4. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    6) Checking the trees on the base . Initially I didn’t like the tree I made, so I had to chop it some down , cause it was stuffing the scene more than I needed and had in mind .

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  5. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    7) Epoxy resin water is applied in several layers. Water effects curling and waving schemes are just added so they look milky white till they get dry .

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Rechecking the chopped down tree to see if i will finally use it

[IMG]

[IMG]

8) Tree is mounted in final positrion after its chopping. Morew greenery and plants and flowers are adjusted in the scene
  6. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    9)Final layers of water effects are applied and almost dried. The play with whitish water making the internal canals of water, was made by mixture of epoxy resin and Water effects mixed with toothpick.

With toothpick also was made all , the shaping of the water. Some gloss enamel has enhanced the wet look where it was needed.

Base is more or less finished . I need to attach my trademark - small animal LOL - and do minor arrangements after the figures will be mounted on the base. The base will be rechecked many times for some gap or other flaw that has to be corrected before the figures go on .

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  7. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
  8. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

The finished base dimensions are 26 cm depth 25 height and 16 cm wide .
    It weights 1650 gr.

Total cost estimated about 65 euros (epoxy putty and epoxy resin are the most expensive materials and I use a lot of them !)

Total working time 42 hours from start to end , without estimating the drying - waiting hours

Thanks for your patience and looking . I would really love to do the SBS with extended text and description , but since i am pretty hardpressed in Job , this was the only thing i could do after Midnight !
  9. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    I think you are really crazy!kosta den pas kala!!!It looks really good!
  10. ArturM Well-Known Member

Poland
    Looks very realistic! Great work, Costas.

Cheers
    Artur
  11. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Sick groundwork. Costas, tell us the truth now. What do you take when you work those bases? Please tell us. Really stunning work. Keep up the amazing work my friend. Congratulations.

Xenofon
  12. Flyingkiwi New Member

Just awesome Costas - thanks for the brilliant photos.
    Clinton
  13. MAB Well-Known Member

Italy
    COSTAS FANTASTIC REALISATION
    GOOD JOB

MAB (y)
  14. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Thanks a lot guys for your commentation. As i have said encouraging is the best booster for doing more and more !!

Ground work is a stressless pleasure for me so ....i do what i can
  15. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Costas,my friend,I am SPEECHLESS !!!! That is one AWESOME BASE SBS that you have posted there !!!! WELL DONE, my friend (y) (y) (y) !!! I especially love the water effects that you have managed to achieve on the groundwork. So,what animal will you be including on the final vignette ? This is certainly a REAL eye-catcher and I really can't wait to see the end result of all your efforts. Once again,WELL DONE, Costas and do post more updates soon ! Cheers !
    Kenneth.
  16. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Kenneth Hi and thanks a lot for your comments. You know i am absolutely addicted to ground stuff so ....
  17. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Costas...man that is a really beautiful piece of groundwork. I really love the way you took a lot of care to make it look so natural...it was a big commitment and you done a fantastic job...just beautiful...now I just wanna spend some time sitting by that waterfall :) ..I love it.

All the best....Roy.
  18. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Costas,

This is the most awesome SBS on groundwork making ever seen.
    Great, Great Work.
    Thanks for that.
    Now my question:: You casted the rocks. Where do you get the molds??
    Up to the figures.

Marc.
  19. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Looks great Costas
  20. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Guys hi and thanks a lot for commenting .

I would also like to spend some time bythe waterfall !!!! To get some peace of mind !!!

The molds for the rocks are from a railway stuff company , but i dont recall the name as i have gotten these a long time ago . But i believe woodland Scenics, and Bragdon Enterprises make very similiar molds . Black thick rubber long lasting stuff. Worth the money .