1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

SbS face painting

Discussion in 'Post Your Own Articles & SBS' started by Angaliel, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Angaliel A Fixture

France
    Hello,

You can see the finished bust here :

http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/3rd-new-jersey-butterfly.50020/

Its my first time to try the LEE Sang Eon technique (kind of, not really)

The photos are over lighted because I had to move the lights all the time between the paint sessions and the photos..... to much closer....

[IMG]

The colors I used to paint the face all acrylic.

[IMG]

The base undercoat is a simple black.
    The lightest flesh teint. First lay....

[IMG]

The lightest flesh teint after lots of layers.

[IMG]

Here I just put color to the face : reds, blues, greens, browns, grey.....

[IMG]

Then I start again with the lightest flesh teint to smooth the transitions...

[IMG]

face paint finished. Lots of differents flesh teints from light to dark were used (see the pallet)

[IMG]

[IMG]

(the lights were too close for the photo....)

I've done nearly the same things for the clothes...
    Eludia, kaz6120 and gordy like this.
  2. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Very nice JP! Thanks for sharing, what kind of acrylics are you using ?
  3. arxo Active Member

Greece
    Now this is something that I wouldn't even dream of trying! The end result justifies it but the sheer terror of having it look like an anatomy study until you reach there! Well done!
  4. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    That works JP.
    Thanks for posting,
    Carl.(y)
  5. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    I tried doing it this way but failed miserably. In my day back in the last century black as a primer was a no no and I just cannot get used to it. Yours looks good though
  6. Angaliel A Fixture

France
    I bought recently some JoSonja. I think they are very good.
    Only the golds parts are done with Valejo paint.... all the other parts are done with JoSonja.
    gordy likes this.
  7. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    I am also using JoSonja paints a lot and think they are great. The good thing is they mix nicely with Valejo paints if you want to.
  8. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    JP,
    Thanks for the SBS. Nice finish to the face.
    Cheers
    John
  9. Showlen Active Member

United-States
    Thanks for the SBS, JP. This seems like an interesting method and I'm sure I'll try at some point.

I've seen several mentions on JoSonja paints and curious... are they similar to what we're all used to in the acrylic world with Vallejo, Citadel, Andrea etc.? Or are they more similar to oil paints? I know they come in tubes, are they a finer pigment, require dilution, same drying time? Are there any "cons" to using JoSonja versus say Vallejo/Andrea?

Thanks!

Ron
  10. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    Jo Sonja paints are as easy to use as Valejo/Andrea. They come out of the tube like very thinned oil paint but thicker than Valejo so they do need a considerable amount of dilution. This can be water, or any of the common mediums and they also accept Valejo retarder. I have used them in an airbrush with not problem so the pigment must be fine. They stay nicely moist on a wet pallet and every colour I have used has dried perfectly Matt. As stated they mix well with Valejo and matt down any of the valejo colours that has a tendency to dry with a sheen. They are good value for money and go a long way.
  11. Angaliel A Fixture

France
    And I'll add this on JoSonja : I'm bored to always have to shake the bottles of Andrea, Vallero, GW...... before use in case the medium and the paint separate inside.....
    Here with JoSonja you dont have to worry. The paint is always perfect when you put it on the pallet.

And yes it mix perfectly with others acrylics.

I prefer JoSonja because I 'm more used to the colors names of Oil paints (Burnt Umber, Cadmium Yellow, Burnt Sienna....etc.......)
  12. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    You could have stopped at he 4th stage for a
    "The Walking Dead"
    Best
  13. Thanks for taking the time to do this SBS, very helpful.

Thanks

Paul
  14. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    Hello
    I must say that I had never heard anything about Jo Sonja paints
    First time in 40 years
    as I can see, the result on the uniform is like the velvet effect you get usualy with gouache or Humbrol
    Looks like the representation is by a freezing cold day . This is usualy why I prefer oils , they give a warmer effect to my taste .
    The intend, be sure was absolutely not to critizice any way or another but just a humourous try .
    our friend Angaliel write himself : " (the lights were too close for the photo....) " so thats right the 4th pictures looks like a Zomby . The last picture show a very good technique with this media . So good job .
    Best