1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Saxon Thegn c. 900 AD

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Dani A., May 20, 2004.

1. Dani A. New Member

Hola,

At the same time I'm advancing with the Napoleonic figure horse, now, for a change, I'm going to present you a more "humane" (as opposed to "equine" ;) ) project.

The subject figure is a saxon thegn. The thegn occupied the third level in the Saxon social pyramid, under the king and the noblemen (eoldermen ), and over the peasants (ceorls) . The thegn formed the backbone of the Anglo-saxon army, and were roughly the equivalent of carolingian paladins or viking hirdmen.

A little revision: the figure is one of the consistently good offerings from the able hands of Le-van Quang, the man behind Pilipili. Size is 120 mm, in resin. It is composed of 16 parts, including a scenic base, plus a wooden rod for the axe handle. The parts almost click together on their own, and the engineering is very good. Included are general and detail colour images, historical notes and bibliography - many supposedly more prestigious firms could take note.

[IMG]

Two remarkable points: the warrior's face is Quang's homage to historical illustrator Richard Scollins, who passed away some years ago; and the peculiar armour the figure wears, a metal-reinforced leather coat (cotte treillisée, trellice), which, although les often represented than the ubiquitous mail, was surely more common.

So much for introduction...

Dani
  2. Dani A. New Member

The figure's pose is perfectly adequate, but I wanted to make some personalizing, so I have altered a little the pose. Because I wanted to keep the very well modelled cloak, any pose change must be fairly limited - the adjustment and the correct cloth "fall" have to be conserved.

In the new pose, the warrior helds the axe, itself supported on his shoulder. In order to get a natural result, I adopted the required stance with a similar implement (well, actually a broom - could not find a 2-hand axe ;) ). Apparently, the new pose is very similar to the original one, but this is deceptive - if you limit yourself to some adjusting of the extremities, the resulting pose will not stand the barest inspection as to realism - this is the cause of a lot of defective conversions.

For a really natural and confortable-looking result, you have to do more physical changes: I had to alter five of the six joints in the arms: shoulder, elbow and wrist for the left arm, elbow and wrist for the right one. I had to cut and re-assemble the joints, keeping in mind that I had to create anatomically possible angles, and a natural and convincing final appearance. The arms must bring the hands to a correct alignment, and you must achieve the impression than some weight is actually supported. The left shoulder area called for more rework, because this arm is now higher and pushed to the interior; and because this needed rectification of volumes, to adjust to the cloak. In fact this arm received more attentions than the other (some re-modelling of folds will be implemented, too) were the changes are more subtle.

Note I changed the right hand for another, more adequate for my purposes - it came from another Pilipili's model.

Here you can see these changes, previous to the re-modelling/rebuilding stage:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  3. Dani A. New Member

A couple of photos of the figure, provisionally assembled in the new pose:

[IMG]

[IMG]

Hey, wait a moment... what if I substitute a standard for the axe? Would'nt that look really good? Mmmmmmh... an intringuing possibility...

Any comment or question will be welcome!

Dani
  4. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Hello Dani,

Great insight on figure conversion and pose changes.

As you rightly pointed out, it's trickier than one might think.

What's genial in the human/animal machine is that everything is in perfect balance in a static pose. Move (even slightly so) a small part of the body and everything else moves in accordance to install a new balance. :lol:

Looking forward to see what's next.

(y)

Quang
  5. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Looking good Dani. How about some kind of Dragon standard? That seems appropriate for a Dark Age subject.
  6. yeo_64 Active Member

Singapore
    (y) (y) Dani ! Thanks for the detailed description on how to do accurate pose changes for model figures;I really appreciate that.Looking forward to the next step.Cheers !
    Kenneth :)
  7. Manfred Active Member

Very good idea to change the arms for individuality (y)
  8. Dani A. New Member

Thanks to all for your comments!

Johan, I have considered the dragon standard, but these kind of standards look well when the sleeve is full of air and flying, but are not much graceful when limp - and the figure's pose does not allow for a position appropriate for a flying sleeve, I believe. So, very probably I will make a captured Viking standard.

Regards,

Dani
  9. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Any more progress on the figure Daniel.......hows the painting comming along?