1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Savage Orc

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Bailey, May 3, 2017.

1. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    After finishing off my last historical figure, I decided to switch gears and work on a fantasy piece. This is a figure from Ouroborus Miniatures, a 54mm scale orc (though roughly 60mm tall).

So far I'm working on him in sections. I began with the head and neck and then moved on to the left arm and head the other day. I still have some more work to do on the hand (adding color variation to the knuckles and veins, plus the nails), but it's pretty close. The rest of the figure is merely base coated and with shadows sketched on in a few spots. But there's enough complete for you to see where he's headed. It's been a fun project and fantasy subjects help me push myself and explore new ideas in between historical subjects (where I try to stick a bit closer to realism).
    OB07.jpg

This is actually the second large scale orc I've started on. Last year I made a lot of progress on Redghar from Big Child Creatives. I have yet to finish him, but was curious so I brought him out to my painting table for a side by side comparison. Here's a look at those two. Similar subjects, but different color palettes.
    OB08.jpg
    KenBoyle, phil_h, myouchin and 9 others like this.
  2. ATTİLA the HUN Well-Known Member

Turkey
    LOVELY green paintings and tones. Bailey.
    THANKS for sharing.
    I'll be follow your ORCS painting progress.
  3. ATTİLA the HUN Well-Known Member

Turkey
    I forgot DARK blue-gray skintone orc. Impressive job on BLUE- GRAY painting.
    Can you share more close up photos from ORCS???

Regards from TURKEY......
  4. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Thank you, Attila! You can see more pictures of the blue-gray orc here: http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/redghar-orc-pirate.79689/
    It is a project I hope to return to soon and complete.

Here are a couple earlier photos of the new orc showing different angles. At this point, I'd only done the face
    OB02.jpg OB03.jpg

Last night I spent time painting the back, so here is the new work I've done on him
    OB10.jpg
  5. Borek A Fixture

Czech-Republic
    Great work so far. Impressive work with shading. I will closely follow your progress.

Cheers Borek
  6. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    I just wish I could work as smooth as you, yet keeping those great contrast between highlights and shading.

Admiring greets,

Gino
    Borek likes this.
  7. Metal Extremo Well-Known Member

Very impresive. Waiting for more.
  8. Honster Active Member

HongKong
    Excellent work! Can't wait to see more!
  9. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks, everyone!

I've been working on the right arm and am just about finished with it. Here's what I've got. There's still some detail work on the green sections I've painted that I want to do. The scars need some work and I want to add more detail and color variation to the hands. I've also got to do the off-white portions of his skin (his chest and inside of the right arm). Those will be some of the things I work on next.
    OB13.jpg OB14.jpg

And this is a full res image of the arm work, so you can work close up in case you are interested.
    OB12_fullres.jpg
    Borek, Martin64 and gforceman like this.
  10. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    I've been continuing on with the skin and have just about finished that part of the orc. Here's a quick look at how the legs progressed. The first image is just the base coat, then the sketch of the shadows, and finally the blended and highlighted end result
    OB_leg_progress.jpg

Here's a look at the rest of him
    OB19.jpg OB20.jpg OB21.jpg

Following that, I took a break from the painting and started building the base. Before I began the figure I brainstormed a number of ideas for the scene. He's got a rather unusual pose for an orc, so I thought about what he might be doing. Pointing at something, calling out someone for a challenge, etc. In the end, I decided to go a different direction and have him reaching out to touch something. Here's what I came up with. Still got a ways to go, but I think it gives you the idea of the scene
    OB23b.jpg OB24b.jpg OB25.jpg
  11. Borek A Fixture

Czech-Republic
    Great work so far David, amazing process presentation. Very inspiring for me :). Thanks for sharing...

Cheers Borek
  12. phil_h A Fixture

United-States
    Fantastic work so far. I love the greens used for the skin tones (y)

Regards,
    Phil
    Borek likes this.
  13. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    I've recently gotten back to this project. Hoping to get it wrapped up in the next few weeks. The latest work has been on the base. I sculpted the tree using putty over the wire and added more texture to the base. Currently focused on painting the base. Most of the work has been on the tree. Still need to paint the little lizard and do more work on the ground. But, he's getting pretty close to being finished!

OB33.jpg
    OB34.jpg OB36.jpg OB37.jpg
    Martin64 likes this.
  14. Palphillips Member

United-Kingdom
    Looking forward to seeing this finished. Lovely work.

Paul
  15. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Just put the finishing touches on this project. Here's how it turned out
    OB53.jpg
    OB54.jpg OB55.jpg OB56.jpg OB57.jpg OB58.jpg
    -=König=-, Martin64 and KenBoyle like this.
  16. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    David,
    I love the painting but even more the scene you have created! The base, tree, tiny lizard and overall composition makes this somewhat emotional. I see this huge savage Orc acting with the timid curiosity of a 4 year old child. Of course, maybe he's just looking for a snack. :)

Whatever, it is a beautiful job,
    Ken
  17. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks, Ken. That sort of curiosity is exactly the sort of scene I wanted to convey. Maybe they'll have a nice moment before the lizard scurries off... or maybe the orc is seconds away from deciding to bash it with his axe. It's up to the viewer how the story plays out (though for me it's more a scene of nature calming the beast, so probably no bashing).
    KenBoyle likes this.
  18. Ashwar Member

France
    This skin colors are amazing ... render is good !