1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Sardinian Grenadier 1741-47

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ChaosCossack, Oct 28, 2015.

1. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Hey All

Finished this piece on the weekend. A 54mm (a huge 54mm) Sardinian Grenadier placed somewhere during the 1740's. The sculpt is from Chronos and other than a few bubbles it was a very nice piece to work on. I painted him following the plate posted with the fig on the Chronos site...

Therein lies the rub. Between my own stumbling searches and fellow pf-ers Roger, Andrew, Franceso and Giorgio (http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/sardinian-grenadier-1741.73958/) the exact regiment that this fig and plate represents remains a confusion to me. So with apologies to the above mentioned I painted the fig as per the plate and placed him somewhere in Italy... I think:unsure:
    DSC02195.JPG DSC02196.JPG DSC02197.JPG DSC02198.JPG DSC02199.JPG DSC02200.JPG DSC02201.JPG DSC02202.JPG DSC02203.JPG DSC02204.JPG DSC02205.JPG DSC02206.JPG DSC02207.JPG DSC02208.JPG

The flesh tones, leather and gunstock were done in Vallejo, metals in Darkstar and everything else in Scale 75... with some Citadel washes as well. The base is a homemade piece of locus from my yard.

Thanx for looking in... any comments and critiques are most welcome.. including any wrist slapping for any inaccuracies.

Cheers

Colin
    Joe55, NickM, Braemp and 11 others like this.
  2. jai A Fixture

Italy
    I have not slept for 24 hours so I can make a critical carefully.
    I promise next few days look more carefully.
    Meanwhile, thanks to he wanted to be a soldier of my Italian region, Piedmont

I think it was very difficult to understand the military regulations of 1700, you did well choose to paint miniatures as suggested Chronos .....

As usual excuse for my English
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  3. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Whoever and whatever he is you've done a good job Colin.
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  4. franceso sbarile A Fixture

Well painted and enjoyable result ( whatever is the regiment) :):). Look to the next works
    cheers
    Francesco
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  5. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks guys
    I am usually pretty insistent that figs I paint be as accurate as possible... with various levels of success. With all the info you guys posted it would have required some specific changes to the uniform. Until it was almost done and a picture of a Guard grenadier showed up, same uniform characteristics just different colours... red facings and small clothes. As Roger mentioned I just couldn't do another red and blue fig right now... and I like painting yellow.

Anyway, figs done and I'm pretty happy with the final result... not over the moon, but pretty happy.

Damn it I gotta find a fig that's not blue!!!!

Colin
    tiberius57 likes this.
  6. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very well painted figure and nice groundwork.
    Congratulations on not wilting under the ever increasing weight of reference that was thrown at you while you were painting.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    billyturnip and ChaosCossack like this.
  7. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx Andrew!
    There was some great reference material offered... nothing seemed to match exactly to the sculpt. At the end of the day I wish I knew what regiment is represented in the original plate.

Cheers

Colin
  8. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    You have done well, with the information you had at hand, Language and translation can add to the pain of getting it correct.
    He has been painted to a high standard and the groundwork completes the work you have put in.
    Pat yourself on the back.
    Regards :happy:
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  9. swralph A Fixture

Very nice paintwork Colin.
    Wish I could paint a 54mm as good as this.
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  10. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  11. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Very, very well done, indeed, bro! (y)
    Awesome blue and yellow! Can't wait to see it in person! The groundwork is awesome too!
    Cheers my brother and see you soon.
    Zeno :)
    P.S. Don't now if you noticed but I added many pictures taken at Chicago show. Check the thread in the forum, here on the planet.
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  12. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Good paintjob. Like him

Marc
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  13. Huw63 A Fixture

Colin, despite vague and confusing references once more you've delivered a lovely figure.

Cheers

Huw
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  14. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This is really terrific Colin i wondered how you would present him when finished, and it's a lovely piece all round
    congratulations

paul
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  15. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Hey all
    Thanks so much for the kind words and support. I wasn't sure how to place him as not knowing his specific regiment I couldn't know where he'd been either. A quick check told me Sardinian forces fought along side the Austrians during the Italian campaigns... great. But where in Italy and under what conditions? Never has a figure left me so lost as this one has :facepalm: Not being terribly familiar with Italian landscape I tried to keep the groundwork as simple as possible and ended up going with yellowish, stony soil and dry scrubgrass. That seemed to be the norm I've seen in colour WWII photos of the Italian theatre.

I hope I didn't miss the mark by too much and if I did... no offence to my Italian Planeteer brothers :notworthy:

Cheers

Colin
    Viking Bob likes this.
  16. franceso sbarile A Fixture

I think you must to be very confident with the result of groundwork, it should be a river bank in spring season.
    Again... great job and nice environment :):)
    Francesco
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  17. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  18. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thank you Franceso and Eduardo, I appreciate your kind comments very much!

I really didn't dig into the background of the Sardinian army during this time... what was the landscape like in the 1741-47 campaign region? Mountains? Flat? Farmland? Forest?

I should have done my homework better :unsure::sorry::oops:

Thanks again

Colin
  19. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
    Hi Colin, no problem at all with the landscape, it was very usual see any european army fighting in different places/countries during the conflicts of the XVIII century.
    This campaign of 1741-47 is the austrian succession war.(1740-1748)

Military miniatures painted by Eduardo Garcia
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  20. franceso sbarile A Fixture

Agreed with Eduardo, no problem at all. The environment of Sardinian kingdom ranges from flat to high mountains and in order to encourage you to paint further italian subject here follow a couple of pictures of Piemonte today
    Cheers
    Francesco
    20150704_105850.jpg 100_0654.jpg
    ChaosCossack and billyturnip like this.