1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Sapper of Foot Grenadiers 75mm Romeo

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Aveleira, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi,

This is something I've been doing in the few freetimes I've got right now.
    Started it right after the my last figure was completed and there is much to do yet before it is done.

It's an excellent figure, pitty it isn't much seen around.

The only parts complete are the face, the fur of the colpack, the blue of the jacket and the trousers. the rest is just basecoated.

The face is always something that I take much time around making sure it is good. And still is something I'm never much comfortable doing.

I don't like to see the french uniform blue too light, as I see sometimes... It is dark so dark it is, despite it may become a little dull...

I kinda felt the need to post something, so here it is ;)
    Pics:

sapper2.jpg sapper4.jpg sapper5.jpg sapper6.jpg sapper3.jpg

Regards
    Pedro
    yoshi, Steve, Kisifer and 10 others like this.
  2. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Great start Pedro,
    If this is the fig in the metal box, I really like it too. They have it in the local shop and I always think about buying it.
    You've done an awesome job on the face and beard and the bearskin looks really good too.
    I agree, French blue looks almost black when new and even faded it is still very dark. Make sure there's lots of weathering around the bottom edge of the leather apron and equipment as this guy is a grizzled veteran.

I'll be following this guy closely

Colin
  3. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Nice start Pedro.
  4. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Thank You Colin, Mike and the others (who liked).

Colin, this on didn't come in metal box... I'm never lucky on that, always catch the hard card ones. It's a Romeo Figure, sculpted by MAB, so it is good for sure!!
    To a Napoleonic enthusiast like you I think you should buy it! Better still is that I bought it with a discount, I paid 35euros.
    BTW, the Apron is leather? Didn't know that, but makes sense... I kind of followed the painting job of Cartacci and in the back part I painted it a little more brownish... so it will look good.

Regards
    Pedro
  5. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    So far very good Pedro.
    Brian
  6. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Great start Pedro! Glad that you decided to go for an sbs. Will follow closely!
    Cheers,
    Zeno
  7. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Posted 3 more pic's of the figure, sides and back.

Pedro
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    so far so good.
    Like what you are doing.

marc
  9. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Great start Pedro.
    Cheers,
    Keith
  10. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Pedro
    The apron is a heavy stiff leather that protects the legs and uniform when mucking around in the brush. On parade it would be pipeclayed white but obviously that wouldn't last long in the field. I'd keep the white as dull as possible with the natural tanned leather colour showing at the edges, where there are tears and maybe some scuffs on the knees and fronts of thighs. As the campaign went on it could end up showing as dirty natural leather brown tones.

Food for thought

Colin
  11. Gra30 PlanetFigure Supporter

Lovely, I am jealous, as my avatar shows I only got as far as the head :)
    Please please show more and I will finish mine this year
    Very best wishes
    Gra
  12. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Thank you Gra! Your painting of the face is amazing!! Very smooth, very natural, a thing that only can be achieved with oils. It's Very well done.
    I think you should work on yours without doubt.

Regards
    Pedro
  13. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Thanks for the advice Colin ;) I'll keep it mind, of course...
    Regards
    Pedro
  14. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    french_sappers.jpg Hello Pedro, Great start to your Sapper. The face is excellent. I also like the dark blue of the uniform. Your rendering of the apron is authentic, as I have read it was leather, and yellowish brown in color. I also found it quite interesting to learn, that it was mandatory for French Sappers to have beards. Was this for easy recognition among the other troops? Best of luck with the completion of this figure Pedro. Regards, SG:)(y)(y)
  15. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Thank You SG for your comment! Yes, they all have beards... I don't know why too. The army then had strange outfit rules...
    The French Hussars also had to have moustache and little things on the hair...I don't know the name now...funny stuff. Maybe it's something history related.

Regards
    Pedro
  16. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Interesting subject Pedro, really good work so far, something usual with your stuff :)
    Keep up the good work, i follow!.
    Saludos
  17. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Cadenettes- (My spelling might be wrong) The side braids worn by Hussars... could just be a fashion copied from the Hungarian origin of the Hussars or I've also read they denote a veteran Hussar.
    Aveleira likes this.
  18. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
    Good start, I lke the beard and face. It´s too soon for the rest. I follow. About the blue, I think the tone is correct, it must be dark, but by the photo seems a bit prussia blue, more than the dark indigo of the french napoleonic infantry.

Military miniatures painted by Eduardo Garcia
    Aveleira likes this.
  19. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
    About the beard, all the sappers of the french army wore it, in infantry units and dragoons, based on the the tradition and rule that only the strongest men could wear beard, and to be sapper was necessary to be very strong.
    In other units like the imperial Guard grenadiers a pied and grenadiers a cheval, or chasseurs was common wear rings on ears, moustaches ( the guys that did not had enough own hair, wore false moustaches or painted!!!! ( Like Groucho)
    Another curiosity and now well known, was the custom of wear tatoos in arms with imperial eagles and grenades.

Military miniatures painted by Eduardo Garcia
    Aveleira likes this.
  20. Don Well-Known Member

Stunning piece of work so far Pedro, think the apron is super and you have done a lovely job of his tunic.
    I believe the sappers of the Legion all have beards and they all seem rather long.

Don