1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Sapeur Neuchatel Battalion 1809

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Geoff Charman, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Another Stormtrooper bust which is in an interesting livery.
    P1140292 (2).JPG pioneer6 (2).jpg

Awhile I was waiting for stuff to dry on my previous bust I cleaned this one up, and washed and primed him then started on his face.

P1140299 (2).JPG P1140300.JPG P1140301 (2).JPG

More tomorrow after shopping and lunch.

Geoff
  2. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    This is one that is on my list so I will be following your progress closely especially how you deal with the jacket.
    Geoff Charman likes this.
  3. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    Good start. This one is on my wish list so I will be be following closely.
  4. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Excellent choice, Geoff. Watching this with interest.
  5. Gary_81 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Nice start on this one Geoff. You're making me feel lazy with all the painting you're doing :D.

Gary
  6. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Thank you, very nicely sculpted and the jacket will certainly be interesting, I have a Docrafts Acrylic paint that I think may work for the orange tint yellow but will have to do some testing first, otherwise some mixing will have to be done.

Cheers
    Geoff
  7. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Thanks Chris, I had been looking at this one for some time and as the one I wanted was out of stock this was decided upon.

Cheers
    Geoff
    Chris Oldfield likes this.
  8. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Thanks Gary, don't you worry about it mate, I have always been a quick worker and seeming to have my own way of painting.

Just go at your own pace and make a good job of it, it's not a race.

Cheers
    Geoff
    Chris Oldfield likes this.
  9. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Geoff

A good choice there , as you said the uniform colour will be interesting to paint

As always a good start on the fleshwork

Looking forward to more updates

Hope you enjoyed the lunch and ofcourse shopping

Happy benchtime

Nap

Possible conversion as well .. image.jpeg

Couple of soldiers from the Battalion itself

image.jpeg

The battalion is well known for its unique uniforms. Controversy has always surrounded the actual shade of yellow and eyewitnesses have described every color from brown to orange. They were often called ‘The Canaries’ with reason, so this artist has chosen the most accepted color of ‘chamois’ yellow. The illustration shows the uniforms from 1810 to 1814. Note the ‘habit-veste’ of the grenadier in the center and the newer cut of the coatee from 1812. Grenadiers were wearing shakos with red cords and tassels after 1813.

image.jpeg
  10. taliesin2013 Active Member

very fine starting. Compliments
  11. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Geoff,

Should be interesting and most impressive when finished (I like sappers/pioneers) so I'll look on with interest.

Curious about Docraft paints, lots of pastel shades as well as solids (which colour is your yellow?).

They certainly look good value....have you used them before?

Neil
  12. Richard Baxter A Fixture

Scotland
    Yes, chamois, another elusive colour just like aurore. Makes me think of the leather that window cleaners used to use (maybe they still do). Does this give us a guide as to colour mix? It would be a sort of yellowy brown. The colour also features in the collars of French line infantry voltigueurs.
  13. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Thanks mate, there certainly a few options, I think I might look into it a bit more before I start.

Cheers
    Geoff
    Nap likes this.
  14. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Welcome Neil,

The colours I am thinking about are either Canary Yellow or Golden Sun or a mix of both, I need to do some testing plus the actual colouring does seem a bit vague so who is to say it is wrong.

I have used them before and have found them nice and cover well, in fact the green on my last bust, the Chasseur, was a Docraft Jungle Green.

Cheers
    Geoff
    Nap likes this.
  15. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Hi Richard,

I think Chamois might be a bit pale if you look at the reenactors version of the uniform which is quite a yellow/orange/brown.

I shall have play with the paints and come up with something I am happy with, and who is to say I am wrong, even a period uniform would have faded well by now.

So lets see what I can come up with.

Cheers
    Geoff
  16. Richard Baxter A Fixture

Scotland
    Indeed, I'll look forward to your results with interest, not least because I have a part-painted voltigueur figure and need chamois for his collar, etc.

Richard.
  17. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Vallejo Japanese Uniform looks very close as well, Geoff. Just a thought......
  18. Geoff Charman A Fixture

I have done test and think the colour going by the reenactor pic supplied with the bust is Golden Sun but it is certainly not the same colour as Chamois like the leather I have that I use to dry off my car after washing it.

P1140302 (2).JPG

Thoughts???

Geoff
    MattMcK., Chris Oldfield and KenBoyle like this.
  19. Richard Baxter A Fixture

Scotland
    Geoff Charman and Nap like this.
  20. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Hi Richard,
    How can we be sure the pic colour is exactly the correct colour? also how about weathering, washing and sun bleaching, also how good were the dyes?
    Have you seen the varying colours of German WW2 tunic colours over time due to the above variants?

I apply shade colour first before adding the main colour but I think it would be a mid brown but I would have to test this first, but possibly Vallejo MC 876/132 Brown Sand or MC 914/119 Green Ochre.

I have just seen your link, that is a completely different colour to the reenactors uniforms which I would be more confident of. If you look at the variation of the colours with the prints which I believe Nap posted not one is the same.

Geoff