1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Sanderson Miniatures Collection NSFW

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Grizzled, May 1, 2019.

1. Grizzled New Member

Hey Folks - great site! Back when I was in my young teens I collected and painted a lot of fantasy and warhammer 40k miniatures. Unfortunately I sold most of them for a pittance (in a star wars figure case no less), but still have of bunch of my favourites about. It's weird, they are like old friends...

Anyhow, I recently came across a collection of very not safe for work miniatures sculpted by Cliff Sanderson. They are mostly fantasy related figures with nude females and rapey males. I'm not sure I should post any pictures, but as an example one of the more tame ones is: "SSF - Naked Girl on Altar with Evil Priestess and Demon" http://www.miniatures-workshop.com/...tle=Image:Greenwood&Ball-Sanderson54mmSSF.jpg

The x/r rated ones aren't my cup of tea, but I imagine there are collectors for Cliff Sanderson works. Wondering how I would go about pricing them, and where to post them for sale? I'm not seeing that side of the Sanderson catalog on Kijiji or eBay, I assume they would break some kind of site community rules. Just sort of looking for a ball park idea, like would a typical figure be worth $5, or like $150? They seem pretty rare and niche.

Thanks for any input. Happy painting...
    Nap likes this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Grizzled

WELCOME to PF good to have you here

As regards pricing , can't really suggest asI just paint busts but do remember thes in my ill spent youth ......people will pay what they are worth to them ...others might be able to suggest a price

Regarding selling here it woukd go in Market and Commisions .....we have a requirement that all members must post a minimum of 50 posts before access is allowed to sell ...the reason is to not use PF just as a selling platform but to participate

Hope we can see you models you have done

Nap
    Grizzled and DaddyO like this.
  3. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Morning Grizzled
    Cliff Sanderson is a blast from the past :) Personally I like his style of figure (although not always his choice of subject matter) As far as I'm aware he sculpted for Hinchcliffe primarily and tended towards sets of figures that worked as a diorama - very dynamic, but lacking some detail or refinement compared to the current crop of figures. My favourites are the Zulu War figures and I've still got a couple. There were a pair for sale at the weekends show in London for £10, but I restrained myself - as Nap says you might find a buyer with a love of Nostalgia who'll snap 'em up.

The groups I remember are the Zulu War, The Pirates of Tortuga (some unpleasant offerings in this set), The Press gang, The Roman slave market and various colonial groups. I believe there was an article in an early issue of Campaigns magazine about his work and certainly I remember lots of 'I'm cancelling my subscription', 'Outrageous in a modelling magazine' sort of letter following some adverts of his later sets so certainly someone who's sculpting created a reaction at the time.

Good luck with the sales and welcome to PF
    Paul
    Grizzled and Nap like this.
  4. Grizzled New Member

Thanks for the info. It seems I was blissfully unaware of Sanderson while I was busily snapping up Citadel and Ral Partha figures at the mall. It's kinda funny but I can imagine the outrage at the time among some collectors. If only there were forums back then... I feel like the sanderson figures are probably even more controversial these days. I reckon it will take some discretion to sell them.

It's been a good 30 years since I did any painting. I keep thinking about getting back to my unpainted figures, but then the investment in paints and brushes usually turns me off. Getting some fresh lead has gotten me a little excited for it. Although I need a new hobby like another hole in the head...
  5. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    DaddyO, Grizzled and Nap like this.
  6. Grizzled New Member

I did see that thanks. Seems like Mirosoft is the local expert.
  7. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Sanderson produced a series of 54mm Victorian/Edwardian civilians, too. I just picked up some more on eBay; they do for German city dwellers before the First World War.

That brings me to my thought on price. Something to consider is whether any of the figures might still be in production. Some of the civilians I bought are, and so, as a buyer, I have to decide to bid on them up to the current retail price.

But depending on how quickly you want to sell them, I'd say that ten bucks for a single figure is a good starting price, and maybe go $25 for groups of multiple figures with any bases or other accessories that are included with them.

Prost!
    Brad
    Mirofsoft, Grizzled and Nap like this.