1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Sandbags

Discussion in 'Post Your Own Articles & SBS' started by sippog, Apr 26, 2012.

1. sippog Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I'm gonna stick my neck out here with an idea that seemed so obvious to me that I'm sure other people have had it - but maybe I've just not come across it before.

I've been using a jeweller's sandbag for some years to avoid damaging metal figures when I'm cutting or drilling them.
    jeweller.jpg

However recently I had a situation where I needed to get up close to a large figure which was too heavy to mount on a holder. The trouble was that the paint was coming off from all the handling. I thought of my sandbag but it was too tough to support the figure without damaging it.

So I filled a couple of plastic bags with soft builder's sand and it worked brilliantly. Providing you're sensible and let the paint dry a bit - the plastic is quite forgiving and doesn't stick. (Of course this wouldn't work with oils!) Later I made two 'sausages' to give me a bit of flexibility. I can see myself using this to prop up joints while they dry.

Sandbag1.jpg

Maybe 'old hat' to some of you - but it worked great for me . . .
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Great idea David, and thanks for the info.
    Carl.(y)