Samurai reference: Kogire-Kai Japan auction house Samurai catalogue

Discussion in 'Historical References, Literature & Media Review' started by yellowcat, Nov 19, 2019.

1. yellowcat A Fixture

Canada
    Kogire-Kai Japan auction house Samurai catalogue 2014 pdf file HERE

Enjoy!

Felix

catalogue3.jpg
    akaryu, Martin64, theBaron and 2 others like this.
  2. HansDig A Fixture

Netherlands
    Just what I was looking for !!!!
    A friend of mine asked me to paint some Samurai for him, from boutique Repliqua.
    This is the first one. A Kagemusha (???)..... hope I can find the right colors in this reference. Is there also a part 2 and 3 ?
    Any advice ?

kagemusha.jpg
  3. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The catalogue is magnificent and chock full of good stuff - but a word of caution Hans - the most colourful and appealing
    are examples of later Edo period armour, and were mainly ceremonial pieces which might not be applicable for the figures
    you wish to paint. I'm not sure how a 'Kagemusha' features in your plans (a Kagamusha or 'shadow-warrior' was a decoy
    dressed in his warlord's clothes or armour to deflect the enemy's attention) so if you're intending to represent one just help
    yourself to whatever lordly armour that suits.

A job to paint some samurai for a client sounds heavenly...........lucky you !

Mike
  4. oldtrousers Well-Known Member

Wow, excellent reference, thank you!

Scott
  5. HansDig A Fixture

Netherlands
    Hi Fogie, well, looking at the reference a lot of "black" was worn.
  6. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Most armour of the later Momoyama period was lacquered black (that is black with a bit of red in it to impart a 'warmish' tone), with others
    lacquered brown or sometimes a russet tone which was in fact a sort of controlled rust not unlike that of a British 'Brown Bess' musket. Some
    clans wore a lustrous cherry red armour. The thing with the later samurai class is that they regarded rich and ornate colours as immodest and
    an unacceptable show of conceit. Although a few painters here show wonderfully painted rich samurai costumes, they're technically incorrect
    and no self-respecting samurai would care to be found wearing them dead in a ditch. The really difficult part when painting samurai figures is
    to make them somehow visually appealing when only using what the western eye regards as dowdy colours.

Mike
    theBaron likes this.
  7. yellowcat A Fixture

Canada
    There is part 2 and 3 but they are for some art objects and paintings. Nothing on Samurai stuff so I did not include in the thread.

Here is a book that I have previously sold to a PF member. The last section shown red armour of the Ii clan the famous Red Devil Samurai.

Felix
    oldtrousers likes this.
  8. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Just had an extra thought that might provide further info.... The Stibberts museum in Florence houses probably the finest
    collection of Japanese armour in Europe I went there once and had to spend a bit of time trooping around the costumes and
    historical ceramics with Mrs Fogie first, but once we reached the armoury it was glorious. Sadly their website is woefully grim,
    but if you search 'images' of Stibberts Japanese collection you'll find some useful pictures.

Mike
    Nap and HansDig like this.
  9. HansDig A Fixture

Netherlands
    Can't reach their website........ the catalog provides good info but...looking at the figure he also wears some 'normal' cloth like pants and a shirt.........what colors could those have ?
    [IMG]
    Something like this ?

Sam1.JPG
  10. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This one is a samurai ( or more accurately a saburai ) of the Heian period. His armour robe is made of coloured silk invariably embellished with a small repeated
    pattern - sometimes floral or with simple geometric shapes. Colours varied, but it was the prerogative of a senior or high status warrior to wear red. The left arm was encased in a tight doeskin sleeve to prevent the wider sleeves of the robe from fouling the bow string.

As for Stibberts, simply google 'stibberts japanese armour collection' and then look at google images.

Mike
    HansDig likes this.
  11. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    HansDig likes this.