1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Samurai preparing for seppuku

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Lovejoy, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Lovejoy New Member

England
    Having finished my 90mm Celic Briton, I thought I'd try something a bit different. So I've gone for a Samurai preparing for seppuku.

He'll be 90mm. I'm doing him kneeling in the seiza position, either on a tatami mat, or on gravel, I'm not sure which yet. he'll be dressed in kamishimo, and will have a sanbo tray in front of him, with a cup, paper, writing set, and a kozuka blade.

I've made a start, but not got very far yet...

Michael Lovejoy

Attached Files:

2. Lovejoy New Member

England
    I've done some work on his head, just some basic shaping, and facial work.

Attached Files:

3. Lovejoy New Member

England
    And after really struggling with finding hair references for the Edo period, I finally got to work on his futatsu ori mage, and did a bit more on the face.

Attached Files:

4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    This is gonna be exceptionel.
    Great work.

marc
  5. Lovejoy New Member

England
    I've also done a fair bit of work on the equipment too. Hopefully, next week I'll tackle the tatami, and get on with the clothing. I'm tempted to use polymer clay for the cloth, rather than the ProCreate I've used up to now - I've a feeling it'll be more forgiving...

Attached Files:

6. eissteban Active Member

France
    so original ! Excellent

Seb.
  7. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice idea with the seppuku,i think the facial expression will make or break this project considering the subject matter.

Steve
  8. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    great idea !!
    I'll certainly follow this up
  9. georges64 Member

France
    Hi Michael,
    knowing how its difficult to sculpt a head, is his face finished. I find hie eyes very strange! As for your project its looks original and interesting but could you tell us more on what's "seppuku"?

georges.
  10. Lovejoy New Member

England
    Thanks for the comments, everyone - feedback is always appreciated!
    I had a go at the hands and the tatami mat today... unfortunately both were disasters! I'll try them again tomorrow. I also had another go at the face. It's improving, although one eye is still very wrong - hopefully that'll be fixed in the morning.
    Georges, seppuku is ritualised suicide. I'll try and give some detail on it soon.

Attached Files:

11. Lovejoy New Member

England
    Not much more work on this yet I'm afraid - I've been caught up painting the Celtic Briton I sculpted. I've rewprked the face a little more, and I've done the tatami mat.
    Here's a pic.

Attached Files:

12. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    excellent mat,mike
  13. dinovision79 Active Member

Hungary
    Hi Michael,

I'm with the others, great idea! I think the face is coming along nicely too!
    Good luck with your company!

Denes
  14. Lovejoy New Member

England
    I've done a bit more on this Samurai over the last few days - hopefully I'l have it finished by the end of the week. Here's a couple more in progress pics:

Attached Files:

15. Wheels PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Here's a thought, though I admit it's a bit strange. You could purposely mess up the one imperfect eye with that providing the reason for his shame.

How about placing something of simple beauty ( eg vase of flowers ) in the scene as a conscious choice on his part to be the last thing he wants to see
    in this life. The death scene of Katsumoto in Last Samurai made me think of it.

This is a great, original idea for a vignette.
  16. Lovejoy New Member

England
    Hi Chris,
    Thanks for the suggestions, but I've fixed the eye - I really don't fancy messing it up again....

Here's the (pretty much) finished model:

Attached Files: