1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Samurai, Momoyama period, late 17th century

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Vladimir, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Vladimir Active Member

Hi!
    Thank you for your opinion. I use Super Sculpey Firm, mixing it with Fimo in different proportions. Excellent material!
  2. Vladimir Active Member

Hi everyone.
    I have not appeared on the forum for a long time.For a whole month, I studied the variations of making Japanese chain mail.Unfortunately, I couldn't sculpt a good chain mail, so I made it out of metal rings.After several failed attempts, I got something similar. Made by shino-haidate and shino-suneate. I hope you like what I have done.

IMG-20200709-WA0000.jpg IMG-20200709-WA0003.jpg IMG-20200709-WA0002.jpg IMG-20200709-WA0001.jpg
    NeilW, Nap, Martin64 and 3 others like this.
  3. Oda A Fixture

Vladimir this is some cracking modelling work and very,very well researched.As I have said in the past I am sooooooo waiting for this to be commercially released .Please save a copy for me!!!

Oda.
    Nap likes this.
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Vladimir

Nice to see you posting

Looking really good , great research

Look forward to more updates

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Oda likes this.
  5. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    I'm looking forward to seeing this too. A painstaking and masterful piece of sculpting. I would definitely want a copy when (if)it becomes available :happy:;)

Alan
    Oda likes this.
  6. Vladimir Active Member

Thank you guys for your comments!
    These comments help me very much to continue working when I want to stop sculpting and throw the master model in the trash:D
    Oda and Nap like this.
  7. Nap Moderator

England

Ho Vladimir

I couldn't do anything remotely like this so every credit to you , skilled sculpting and great care in the research

Hide that trash bin !!

Look forward to updates

Happy sculpting

Nap
    NeilW and Oda like this.
  8. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Yes I do like it (y)

I've been struggling with the same problem for my 1/12th (150mm) samurai.... could you elaborate on your 'metal rings' technique (I could never find any small enough).
  9. Vladimir Active Member

I will photograph the whole process in the evening and tell you how I made the chain mail
    Nap and NeilW like this.
  10. Vladimir Active Member

This is how I make Japanese chain mail
    1. I make chain mail from wire, which we obtain from the electronic components and electric cable. I burn the wire a little over the fire to make it softer

1.jpg

2. first I wind the Wire on a drill with a diameter of 0.3-0.5 mm ( you can use any strong rod), and then I cut the resulting spiral into rings
    2.jpg 3.jpg 5.jpg
    3. The result is these rings

6.jpg
    4. Next, I make corners out of wire. For corners, it is better to use a wire of a smaller diameter than for rings, then the chain mail will turn out more beautiful
    7.jpg 8.jpg
    5. I set the Corners like this
    9.jpg
    6. In the end, it turns out this mail. On the left photo of the wire of the same diameter, on the right-the corners are made of thinner wire
    10.jpg 11.jpg
    Vermis, Nap, Oda and 3 others like this.
  11. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Vladimir (y)

Looks like the Japanese 4:1 (hiteo-gusari) design... some others look fiendishly difficult to model (good discussion here and examples here).

Similar to another technique I've seen but with the refinement of adding the joining links. I tried it once but the wire was too hard to cut without it losing shape: useful tip about softening it by heat (I bought some solder to try that but never got around to it).

I'll give your method a go... may try doing individual sections as masters that I can then cast from.
    Oda and Nap like this.
  12. Vladimir Active Member

I tried to make a stamp so that I could use it to make chain mail on the figure. Fail.
    I also made a master model of the chain mail section, made a shape based on it, and cast several sections from smooth cast. But I couldn't place them nicely on the model.
    NeilW, Nap and Oda like this.
  13. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Vladimir

Thanks for sharing the chainmail technique ....amazing to see the work involved but a great result at the end ...you have a lot of patience

Look forward to more on this fascinating thread

Nap
    NeilW and Oda like this.
  14. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Now, here's a modelling challenge:

First find pins with conical heads in 30 graduated sizes suitable for the scale you're modelling.

Arrange 1,890 of them in 62 perfectly aligned rows.

K1.JPG

... now, that's what I call patience (and obsessive madness :wacky: )
    Nap, Vladimir and Oda like this.
  15. Vladimir Active Member

Thanks
    Oda likes this.
  16. Vladimir Active Member

My first samurai has a helmet with rivets, only there are fewer rivets.
    I did it for 3 weeks, then I didn't like it, stripped it off and did it again. Now I want to try to make such a helmet using 3D printing
    NeilW and Nap like this.
  17. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom

... I said it becomes madness ;)

I'll be interested in the 3D version: probably the best way to go with anything like Japanese armour (or scale plate etc) that has lots of repetition.

My game plan is to make masters of the horizontal strips (lames) complete with lacing then mass produce them so as modules to fit to the fig (so far never quite got it to work :( )

The idea and an experimental 'test of concept' trial pic attached (showing how difficult it is to get standard scales):

KO.JPG KO2.JPG
  18. David Spencer A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Really interesting to see this develop
    NeilW likes this.
  19. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Good illustration but weren't their quite a few different patterns of mail, this being one?

What's always notable is how small and lightweight it is compared to the western style.
    Oda likes this.
  20. Vladimir Active Member

Thanks!
    A beautiful version of chain mail. Maybe I'll make one some day.
    Now I was doing this option
    кольчуга.jpg кольчуга1.jpg
    Oda, Nap and NeilW like this.