1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Samurai Female Warrior bust 250 mm

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by zernina, Sep 10, 2018.

1. zernina A Fixture

Russian-Federation

Thank you Landrotten Highlander!
    Thanks a lot for the advice - I'm a beginner sculptor, so I'm grateful for any help (y)
    Best regards,Olga
    Landrotten Highlander likes this.
  2. mick3272 A Fixture

The Bust is fine. Buy a new mirror it must have a curve in it:)
    Mick
    zernina likes this.
  3. Landrotten Highlander Well-Known Member

Many faces in real life are not symmetrical, but the general concensus is the more symmetrical a face is, the more it is considered to be pleasing to the eye (and this is based on worldwide research, this fact was consistent across the globe).
    I tried this on myself: I took a face-on picture of myself and using powerpoint I created 2 artificial pictures - one where the left side of my face was flipped and glued on to the (normal) left hand side half, the other where the right hand side of my face was used as basis. What I ended up with was a picture of 3 very different people.

I have attached 2 pictures sent to me by my Japanese PenPal to help you find a face that works for you. You will find that with the maiko the faces are much more symmetrical than the one were they are all eating. Also look at their noses (as mentioned in another post) - even though they all have differently shaped noses, none of them are as sharp as the one you sculpted.

Hope this helps

Attached Files:

zernina likes this.
  4. zernina A Fixture

Russian-Federation

Thank you very much Nap!

I mix the flesh tone myself using acrylic paints Polycolor from MAIMERI - titanium white+siena naturale+burnt siena+some kind of yellow+some kind of red (warm tone) and I think I add a little umber burnt or umber natural.
    And when I paint lighter tones, I add white to my mixed flesh tone. For the forehead I add a white and a bit of yellow to my tone.
    My tone on the photo is darker than it was necessary for this girl, so I immediately added white, making the skin's basic tone. And usually for men I apply this paint right from the jar.

Best regards,
    Olga

1.jpg
  5. zernina A Fixture

Russian-Federation

Thank you very much for photos!
    Thank God I think it will be easier to cut off a part of nose and polish the nose on the next kit of this bust than if I needed to sculpt a sharp and long and protruding nose ;) Hooray!

Best regards,
    Olga
  6. zernina A Fixture

Russian-Federation
    Can I ask for one more advice (as we are talking about this)? I'm making two more busts of Japanese women for practice - do their noses also not have enough truth?
    The first "severe" bust has too sharp nose, isn't it?

Best regards,
    Olga
    IMG_4245.JPG IMG_4254.JPG IMG_4258.JPG IMG_4264.JPG IMG_4265.JPG IMG_4275.JPG
  7. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Again, another eye catching piece. Very well done.

Sincerely
    Mark
    zernina likes this.
  8. Landrotten Highlander Well-Known Member

The second bust is closer to reality. The first one is too 'pointed'. The lower portion of the nose needs to be more 'rounded'

Here is a scientifically based article of what I was talking about.
    http://www.femininebeauty.info/ethnic-comparisons/face-front
    Even though it mentions 'American Korean' women, you can generalise this for all women from China to Japan.

Hope this helps
    zernina likes this.
  9. Cannonball A Fixture

Beautiful work Olga. The patterns are outstanding.
    zernina likes this.
  10. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    She looks alive. Stunning!

Cheers,
    Pedro
    zernina likes this.