1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Samourai-Completed

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Excatlon, May 7, 2006.

1. Excatlon Active Member

Poland
    Only banbus stiks are removed

[IMG]
  2. Excatlon Active Member

Poland
  3. Excatlon Active Member

Poland
  4. Excatlon Active Member

Poland
  5. Excatlon Active Member

Poland
  6. Excatlon Active Member

Poland
  7. Excatlon Active Member

Poland
  8. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Damian,
    he looks good! I would love to see a shot of him from the front in the direction he is looking so we could get an idea of how that mask and the impressive helmet looks!

Jay H.
    OKC
  9. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Damian that's a good painting and very neat... but it looks a bit dull to me. I don't see any shading and highlights that would give a "deep" look of your samurai.
    Who makes this figure? and what scale is it?

Xenofon
  10. Excatlon Active Member

Poland
    Kisifer
    i still learn painting.vrlinden 120mm
  11. nberrington Member

Canada
    Damian

I have a large collection of figures from many of the top painters, so although not a great modeller myself, I look at many wonderful pieces every day! My critique is (I hope) objective. I think you are going to do well with figures....

This samurai is a really good start - when "learning painting" (as you put it), the first step is being neat and precise. You have certainly acheived that. The more subtle effects will come quickly in time. I like what I see - these Verlinden resin kits can be tough to assemble so neatly, so well done.

In the next few figures you do, start doing some more elaborate groundwork to present the figure in context. I think most top painters more or less throw away the groundwork supplied by the manufacturer. Spend some time on the groundwork. A great paint job can be spoiled by the base.

It is also worth spending a few dollars on a good pedestal to put him on. After all there is a lot of effort in doing a nice figure, so put him on display in style!

I suggest you branch out soon, and get yourself a premium quality kit - Pegaso, Elite, Poste Militaire etc. They are a little more challenging, but less "wooden" in the poses. They are often better sculpted, with the painter in mind for highlights and shadows on the folds.

Overall you have done a good job on this guy. Great start!

Neil
  12. Excatlon Active Member

Poland
    thank for advice and kind words
  13. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Good effort Damian!
    Christos
  14. Excatlon Active Member

Poland