1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review Saladin -Chiron Miniatures

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Nap, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Nap A Fixture

England
    Hi guys ,
    I am always on the lookout for a distinctinctive bust to check out and I have found one in the guise of Ṣalāḥ ad-Dīn Yūsuf ibn Ayyūbi or Saladin to us mere mortals!!!

Lets have a little bit of history about Saladin to wet your appetite ......... Born in 1138 (1137 has also been quoted) dying in 1193, a carasmatic leader who was held in high esteem by Richard the Lionheart , fighting him during the Crusades .terms. Western writers on the Third Crusade lauded his generosity, his courteous treatment of women, his diplomatic skills and his military prowess. They were also aware of his peaceful conquest of Jerusalem in 1187 and the fact that he had chosen not to emulate the bloodbath of the First Crusade. In these aspects, his behaviour matched the highest standards of chivalry.

Hi name in Arabic/Kurdish and Persian looks like : (Arabic: صلاح الدين يوسف بن أيوب‎, Ṣalāḥ al-Dīn Yūsuf ibn Ayyūb, Kurdish: سه*لاحه*دین ئه*یوبی, Selah'edînê Eyubî , Persian: صلاح*الدین ایوبی, Salāh-ed-Dīn-e Ayyūbī) ..think we will call him Saladin for the review!!!

Attached Files:

2. Nap A Fixture

England
    Moving onto the the model itself now :

It was received unwrapped in a clear plastic bag with a paper header and insert inside the bag with a small picture of a finished model , the writing on this I found a little difficult to read (I do read french its just the font that has been used) ..perhaps something that Chiron could look at .

It is a one piece casting and comes with a 2 piece nose guard and a pommel and spike for the top of the helmet)

If you order from El Greco then any potential damage will not be a problem but I would like to see a little more protection for the piece but as with everything the cost would have to be covered by someone.

Scale : 1/9th

Material : Resin

Reference Number : CP BU 01

Sculptor : Mario Mathasic

Box Art : TBA

Continued in next post:

Nap

Attached Files:

3. Nap A Fixture

England
    Looking in detail now at the sculpting firstly the facial features , then the helmet , and then the clothing he wears .

Facial details are good with perhaps the cheekbones being a little too pronounced and harsh . Other features are typically arabic , with some nice sculpting being done on the beard

On his head he has a helmet with a turban around it , this is a wonderful piece of sculpting , in particular the folds of the turban and the design on the helmet , the pieces of material haginging down either side of the face are acredit to both the sculptor and casting and are very well done and nicely undercut . Under his helmet he has chainmail , very well done again and it looks in scale .

He has a cloak on held together by a cord leading from 2 clasps under which he has his armour , tucked into a sash is the top of a dagger .
    Particularly of note are the folds on the clothing , with the armour plates being well sculpted and cast .

Lets have the pictures as they say a picture tells a thousand words :

Continued in next post:

Nap

Attached Files:

4. Nap A Fixture

England
    Here is some more pictures this time close up together with a couple of the master showing the fit of the small pieces to the helmet :

Continued in next post:

Nap

Attached Files:

pmfs likes this.
  5. Nap A Fixture

England
    Hi Guys ,

Conclusion:
    Chiron have made a good start into the modelling world with a nice bust , a character known to all , well sculpted with some great undercutting , they do I feel need to look at the packaging a little .
    This will without doubt make a fine addition to the display cabinet , with the cloak being either plain or as in the picture on the insert heavily embroidered .

Suggested Reference/Reading material :Osprey series MAA 255 The Muslim Conquest and MAA 348 The Islamic West 7th-15th Centuries AD

You can get this direct from Chiron via their blog at chironproduct.over-blog.com or by e mail to chironmodels2010@hotmail.fr at a cost of approx 40 euro's plus shipping .

In the UK it can be got from El Greco of course (excellent customer service is assurred) at a cost of £30 plus shipping

Phone: +44 (0)1280 840364

Email: info@elgrecominiatures.co.uk

Home Page: http://www.elgrecominiatures.co.uk

I have included a picture of the "box" art and also one of Saladins actual sword ..nasty looking or what.

Nap

Attached Files:

frank h, Sirrius, tbolt7 and 3 others like this.
  6. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Nice review and many thanks for this. The figure has some amazing details! I too agree with the packaging.

Jim Patrick
  7. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    The cowl looks quite thin you can see light areas through the thin resin, and impressive sculpt. That's a mean looking sword for sure, at tip like that would likely pull innards out of what it was thrust into :|

Thanks for posting Kevin - :)