1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique "Sailor" Malan, Poste Militaire 120mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Nov 7, 2016.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

This is my latest project, a classic Poste Militaire 120mm figure of South Africa's greatest fighter ace of WW2, Adolf "Sailor" Malan DSO and Bar, DFC and Bar.

I've loved this figure since it was first released many years ago and I saw a picture of it in Military Modelling. I finally managed to get my hands on it last year and I've been waiting to finish a few very large projects in order to get to it.

As you can see, I've made a start with base coating the acrylics on the uniform and painted the face in acrylics too. I'll finish painting the figure in acrylics and then paint oil washes on the clothing to help bring out the colours.

I'm planning to give this figure to my mate Sam, who is a very talented WW2 aircraft modeller and a big fan of Sailor Malan.
    p010290-sailor-malan-hendon.jpg Sailor 1.jpg Sailor 2.jpg Sailor 3.jpg Sailor 4.jpg
    MCPWilk, captnenglish, NeilW and 21 others like this.
  2. Nap A Fixture

England
    Hi Tony

A great start and a classic figure look forward to seeing more

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    Oda likes this.
  3. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    great start

Marc
  4. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Top start on this classic figure.
    He'd turn in his grave if he saw the road they've named after him though......
    Wings5797 and Oda like this.
  5. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    A great gesture tony.
    I think Sam will be cock-a -hoop on receiving one of your pieces.
    Looking forward to your progress.
    Keith
  6. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Following this one with interest.
    Cheers
  7. jai A Fixture

Italy
    a huge figure for my taste but nice start

When I see a typical surname of my valleys do brief research, I had no doubt that this Malan had to do with my little story .... maybe (n)

Here is the family tree that you can attach to the given piece

hoping not to bore anyone ....:D :

two of his ancestors lived surely in Provence South of France ... with the Edict of Fontainebleau the Malan family (probably Huguenot) left France to choose the south africa ...

The oldest ancestor Antoine Malan was born in 1596 in France

father of Pierre Malan was born in 1618 in france

father of Jacques Malan was born in 1643 in La Brasque, Plan-d'Aups-Sainte-Baume, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, Franc

father of another Jacques Malan was born in 1665 La Motte-d'Aigues, Provence, France
    and Died in 1742 in Stellenbosch, Western Cape, South Africa (buried at Brede River DC, Western Cape, South Africa)

father of David Malan born in 1708 in Kaap de Goede Hoop, South Africa
    He died in 1790 Cape of Good Hope, South Africa

father of Jacobus Johannes MALAN born 1739 Paarl, Drakenstein, Western Cape, South Africa died in 1806 his burial is Brede River DC, Western Cape, South Africa

father of Jacobus Francois Malan 1783 in Stellenbosch, Western Cape, South Africa

She died 1863 in Wellington, Cape, South Africa

father of Petrus Jacobus Malan 1820 Wagenmakersvallei died 1897 in Wellington

father Gysbert Jan Malan was born in 1846 died in 1886

father of Willem Adolph Malan was born in 1879 died is not known when

father of our Adolph Gysbert 'Sailor' Malan

If your friend Sam is great "sailor" fans can correct me

By Giorgio
    NeilW likes this.
  8. Grod A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great subject and painting.
    Gordon
  9. Huw63 A Fixture

Switzerland
    Lovely to see a golden oldie being done justice.

Cheers

Huw
  10. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Nap, thanks mate. More WIPs to follow shortly.;)

Hi Marc, thanks mate.(y)

Hi Blind Pew, if he did turn in his grave I hope its a barrel roll. :LOL:

Hi Keith, yes Sam is impatient to have it, but he'll just have to wait. I'm enjoying the painting too much to simply slap some paint on.:D

Hi Bob, updates will follow shortly.:D

Hi Jai, you went to a lot of trouble to put all that family tree information together. I hope someone found it interesting. I'm just a painter mate. :censored:

Hi Gordon, thanks. This is a subject I've wanted to paint for years. It's great to finally get the chance.:)

Hi Huw, yes a golden oldie. For all the advances in our hobby and the wonders of 3D printing, it amazes me that Poste Militaire and other legendary figure manufacturers still represent some of the best example around and stack up very well against new releases. ;)

As promised, here's the result of last nights session.
    Sailor 5.jpg Sailor 6.jpg Sailor 7.jpg Sailor 8.jpg Sailor 9.jpg
  11. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    This looks to be a great sculpt with a convincing pose.I'm sure the finished work will be just as good.

Wayne
  12. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Looking good Tony. Your work is impressive, and good to see you are back painting.

Cheers
    Chris
  13. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Wayne and Chris,

Last night was a short but stressful session with the brushes. I tried to paint the words "South Africa" on the shoulder flashes of Sailor's uniform. I'm not sure it's good enough yet but with some touch ups and some minor adjustments, I think it will be OK.

Sailor 10.jpg Sailor 11.jpg
  14. Nap A Fixture

England
    Hi Tony

Oh tell me about lettering....lol , that length on the flash can't be no more than 10mm long ..so a nice job , little bit of tidying up perhaps but only one more stress session..lol

What the pictures show also is the great highs and shadows on the uniform ...great colour as well

Is there a texture on the uniform ?

As you said PM figures etc still hold their own as a mark of excellence so a great choice

Happy painting

Nap
    Wings5797 likes this.
  15. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Tried???Are you kidding me??...You nailed it..../

Wayne
  16. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Mike Good at his best mate!
    Neat to see this little guy coming to life & enjoying learning more about him.
    Seems like you are back in action too, even better :)
  17. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Amazing shoulder title Mate.
    Good and relieves to see that your vision has 100% returned Tony.
    All the best
    Keith
  18. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    It's a long time since I have seen one of these little 'wonders' Tony.
    It's looking super so far.
    Your friend is a lucky guy twice over.

Paul.
  19. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Nap, thanks again for your comments mate. The lettering on the should flash has to be painted free hand to look authentic, but its a bugger to get right. I had another go last night and its marginally better but still looks rough when I look at the enlarged images. I think another session tonight might be enough.

Cheers Wayne, I hope I have. I'm still fiddling with it but its nice to know you like my progress so far.

Kia Oro Mike, yes mate back in action and tackling the details as always. Losing your eyesight temporarily reminded me of how much I love my hobby and how much I love painting, so its great to be able to get back to it. Mike Good was never a prolific sculptor, which is why pieces like this are so rare and treasured.

Hi Keith, yes mate the vision has returned and with the aid of my optivisors I'm able to work on fine detail again. As you can see below, the shoulder flash badge is still needing a bit of tweaking, but its improved from the first effort. The squadron leaders rank badges on the sleeve cuff were also challenging and will need some tidying up too.

Hi Paul, my mate Sam understands how rare this kit is which is why he's so pleased that I'm painting it for him. He saw it in my Grey Army a few months ago and drooled all over it, so I guess I didn't have much choice. At least I know the piece will be well looked after by him and will go to a good home.

Here's another WIP pic to show the results of some touch ups on the shoulder flash and the rank badges on the sleeves.
    Sailor 12.jpg
    NeilW, Nap, Viking Bob and 3 others like this.
  20. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Painting quality lettering has got to be one of, if not the most, difficult thing to do in painting.
    And I don't think there's any easy way around it either.
    Don't beat yourself up if when blown up it don't look quite right. As long as it does in the flesh.
    napoleonpeart and tonydawe like this.