SA Obertruppfuhrer Gruppe Hochland - Thunderbird Review

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Guy, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thunderbird Historical Miniatures

TB9001
    SA Obertruppfuhrer Gruppe Hochland, 1933
    1/9th scale resin
    4 resin parts
    Sculpted & painted by Jim Rice

SA 01.jpg

Thunderbird Historical Miniatures brings us their first bust of a SA Obertruppfuher in 1/9th scale resin. The bust was sculpted by Jim Rice and the box art also painted by Jim.

SA 03.JPG

The photo above show the four parts that make up the kit. The head, shoulders back pack and mess tin.

SA 04.JPG SA 05.JPG

SA 06.JPG SA 07.JPG

Above is shown the four sides to the separately cast head. The facial expression alone adds character to the bust. A slight mold line on the back of the neck will clean off easily with a scapel or hobby Knife.

SA 08.JPG

SA 09.JPG

SA 10.JPG SA 11.JPG

Above is the finely detailed chest showing Jim's attention to detail around the collar. A slight seam line where the back pack will attach but not neccessary to remove as the pack will cover it.

SA 12.JPG

SA 13.JPG

Above is the head sitting down into the neck cavity which dry-fitted well upon joining these two parts.

[ continued in next posting ]

2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    SA 14.JPG

SA 15.JPG

Above you see the separately cast back pack which fits right to the back of the bust.

SA 16.JPG

SA 17.JPG

Above you see the mess kit which fastenes to the front of the back pack.

SA 01.jpg

Conclusion:
    An excellent kit by Thunderbird Historical Miniatures. Clean crisp detail with excellent casting. Highly recommended. I look forward to seeing more busts come into their line.

Thunderbird Historical Miniatures
    web-site click here

R291
  3. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    love it!

thanks for the review

mark

:D
  4. "Tarakaman" New Member

United-States
    Great expression in the face!!!!!! Lt really makes this piece to me!!... Thanks for the review Guy!!
  5. SPrimeau Active Member

United-States
    I picked one up at the MMSI show last month. Very nice peice and cast very well!
    Scott
  6. theseeker Member

United-States
    Guy,

Nice review as usual. I like this figure and his expression. It appears that he has been marching far too long with bunions.
    I may have to add this bust to my collection.

Rocky
  7. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    great face and quite original to make a german of the early '30s.
    thanks for the review
  8. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Well I must be the only one, but I just don't get the facial expression, to me it has no meaning in relation to the rest of the piece.
    Other than that it's a nice piece and beautifuly cast.