1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Acrylics S.B.S. Officer of The 42nd Highlanders circa1854

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Wings5797, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Borek A Fixture

Czech-Republic
    Awesome work Keith, thank you for SBS. FANTASTIC work on tartan, and knitted socks are just amazing(y) . Excellent work(y)(y).

Cheers Borek
    Wings5797 likes this.
  2. Wings5797 A Fixture

France

Hi Billy,
    Thanks for your comments Mate; I'm pleased that you like it.
    The whole Victorian Army subject is very based on fashion trends during the (almost) forty year’s peace. The big spin off from this was that the army sent to the Crimea were dressed as if to parade for Queen Vic Herself. Hence the Highlanders were the peacocks of the pack. A great bonus for those of us who like to sculpt and paint Ceremonial Garb. For all that I recommend you have a go and don't be put off by the tartan....there are more than enough Guys here qualified to help you.
    Cheers,
    Keith
  3. Wings5797 A Fixture

France

Cheers Joe,
    I am pleased that you like Him.
    Other than little snipits of advice this was my first real SBS and it was quite change from just sculpting or painting.......I had to think a little more. That said it was really helpful commenting on what and how I was doing 'stuff'. Like a lot of the Guys here, I think that I will try to write down my stages etc. as a reminder for other future pieces.
    Cheers and many thanks Joe,
    Keith
    Scotty likes this.
  4. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Many thanks Borek, the pleasure is all mine.
    For tartans and socks etc. I always try to remember a thing that Shep Paine says, "paint patterns that suggest the real thing". This in mind I try to paint tartans that are as I see them not as electronically drawn patches with super accuracy but colours that are miles away from reality.
    All the very best and happy painting Mate,
    Keith
    Scotty and ChaosCossack like this.
  5. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Scotty,
    I am pleased that you like the final result.
    I am so gratefull for your help with the hose tops...a small detail but great to add it to the piece.
    Good luck with your conversion Mate, I hope to get a glimps of it at some point.
    Thank you,
    Keith
    Scotty likes this.
  6. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I Seem to have missed all of this Keith , great SBS on the tartan torture:nailbiting::) looks great finished

Ron
    Wings5797 likes this.
  7. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Probably cos you were too busy buying a dress Ron:ROFLMAO:

Barrie.
  8. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I will refrain from answering that Barrie :D
  9. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Than you Ron;
    for both your kind comments here and the super plinth that to my mind really finishes him off a treat.
    All the very best,
    Keith
  10. Captain Lol A Fixture

Belgium
    Nice work Keith. (y)
    Cheers
    Vincent .
  11. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Vincent,
    Many thanks Mate.
    I hope all is well with you my friend.
    Keith
    Captain Lol likes this.
  12. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    Thanks Keith, glad I could be of some help. Well done, I hope my own turns out half as good as this.
    Scotty.
    Wings5797 likes this.
  13. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Scotty.
    I can't tell you how much difference seeing pictures of the real kit makes to getting a life like result in my painting.
    Having your own Kit will enable you to get the colours and textures spot on. You must look at some of the A&S Highlanders pieces and think that they are for a different Regiment......for me hose tops and tartan are critical to get right.
    I feel sure that your conversion will be a real cracker and I am looking forward to seeing how it works out for you. Needless to say if you think I can help in any way just ask Mate.
    All the very best,
    Keith
    Scotty likes this.