1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Russian sniper

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by gforceman, Jun 25, 2005.

1. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Hi all,

At the moment we are having kind of an heatwave in Belgium, which makes it impossible for me to paint. I thought this was a good excuse to start my second sculpt. I hope it one day will be a Russian sniper sliding down a slope. To prevent sliding any further he tries te grab a branch. The head and hands are from Hornet, the boots and ammopouch from Dragon (these need to be detailed), the rest is Magic sculp. I have seen some folds I need to remove and redo. If you see more things I need to correct, please let me know.

Greetz,

Gino

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Gino,

Much, much better than the last one. I think you are getting the knack of it. ;) I think maybe the neck is a bit to thick but keep at it.

All the best,
    Joe
  3. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Gino, I know how you feel; we are also experiencing a terrible heat wave, not the ideal conditions for painting figures.

As far as your sculpting goes, I echo what Joe said, you are almost there.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Roc.
  4. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Hey Gino...........100 degrees here today.........good day to stay inside. Your figure sculpting has improved. Keep at it my friend. (y)
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Nice work Gino.

I also suffering on this bloody heat. Really nice. I hope to see him thuesday.

marc
  6. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Good job, Gino! Nice action pose.

It isn't exactly cool in Omaha either.

I agree about the neck, but also what about the belt? It looks too loose and you need to add belt loops on the trousers, of course. Don't know what kind of shirt you intend to sculpt - one of the 'gymnasta' whatever possibly? If the shirt is bulky at the bottom, the belt will look better. I can't really tell for certain from the photo, but possibly the inside fold at the knee on the flexed leg (right side in the photos) - you may want to cut just a small amount of putty away to tighten the trouser fit.

Hope you're havin' fun with putty! Try to stay cool!

all the best,
    Dan
  7. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Hi guys,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Hello Dan,

He will be wearing one of those one piece camouflaged overalls (a scout wearing the same overall is in the pipelines too). Thanksfor mentioning the belt loops. I haven't seen any on my references, but I will search for some more and look what I can come up with. The putty at the knee is allready been removed.

Hi Marc,

You were gone so quick at the BBQ yesterday? I had hoped to talk some more to you. Well, we'll have time on tuesday. I'll bring the figure with me.

Hi Guy,

I don't know how much degrees Fahrenheit it is here, but we are having 34°C, which is bloody hot for Belgium.

Hi Joe,

I have taken some putty away at the neck. I was last week at Marijn's place when he told me the neck was too long. I probably have shorten it too much :angry:

Thanks once again all of you for responding.

Greetz,

Gino
  8. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Gino - I don't want to give you the wrong idea. I have no idea if the trousers, or coveralls, should have belt loops or not! Be guided by your uniform references, by all means. I look forward to your next post!

all the best,
    Dan
  9. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Hi all,

The heat from the last couple of week has a bad influence on my CFS, which is why I haven't been able to model a lot. Anyway, I have worked a bit on this figure of which I post here some pics. I now need to model some details and the head gear and clean the figure a bit and I can start painting. There's something to earn from every bad thing, and on this one I learned I need to pay more attention to the length of the neck the next time. Maybe there is much more that I haven't seen, so please point this out to me. Many thanks in advance.

@ Dan: I never paid much attention to belt loops, but it seems that Russian uniforms had none and still the could wear a belt?
    Greetz,

Gino

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  10. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Nice one Gino! Keep up the good work!

Those Russians -- no belt loops! -- now that would confuse me no end puttin' my pants on in the morning. :)

Suggestion - This is something that I just learned halfway thru my present figure. Those little white specks on the putty. Most of them can be removed before the putty dries by going over it with a paintbrush filled with water. You have to watch where the water run-off goes and wipe them away, etc. Then go over the putty with another paintbrush with hand lotion to smooth - which I believe from the pics you already know about, right?

All the best,
    Dan
  11. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Hello everybody,

The last details are done (they were enormous fun to do), so I post some more pics. I need to clean a bit and sharpen some details. Then I need to clean the rifle and make a sling for it. Dan the groundwork with a lot of small and medium vegitation (something I also enjoy a lot) I like to do the groundwork at this stage, so I have the painted figure as little as possible. And then the painting. Grey parts are Magic sculp, green are duro/green stuff. All comments are very welcome.

Greetz,

Gino

P.S. Hi Dan, no I didn't knew these "tricks" but I'm sure they will come in handy. Thank you very much for sharing.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  12. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Gino,

It is quite improvement since your first attempt. I think you are on the right track so keep at it.

Joe
  13. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Gino,

Sorry the computer locked up and did this twice. :eek:

Joe
  14. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Hi all,

After being unable to model for a couple of weeks due to illness, I'm now (half) back. This has set back the quality (if there has been any quality in the first place) of my painting a lot. I can only hope that some day it might get a little better.

The face is supposed to be ready. I've painted it 3 times and I'm still not happy with it. I had a lot of trouble painting the eyes, and in the end I resculpted them and then painting went just smooth. The hood is finnished too, I just have to add two buttons. The bush on the groundwork needs to be highlighted and a lot of dead leaves etc... still have to be added. I will also try to add some fun things like mushrooms, etc...

All critism is very much apreciated,

Gino

[IMG]

[IMG]
  15. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Gino,

As always it is really good. But take some picture's not so closely. That will look alot better than this so close taken pic't.
    That base, wowww, and not still finished??
    I hope i will see him next thuesday in live.

Marc
  16. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Gino

Looks good so far, hope your feeling a lot better soon

Dave
  17. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Hi all,

Included I post two pictures of my groundwork. All that needs to be done is gluing the fallen leaves in place and bring the figure (which is about half painted) and groundwork together. The leaves are a new product that soon will be available from Joefix (thanks Joeri for the sample preview). The grass is from heki. I also used some roots from a Bonsai tree (thanks Jean-Pierre), schrubs from dioramamaterials; small stones from the garden, and mushrooms from Joefix. That's about it.

All comments are very welcome.

Greetz,

Gino

P.S. The health is starting to get better again. Thanks for careing :)

[IMG]

[IMG]
  18. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    The sniper looks excellent, Gino!

Please pardon my prying, but you weren't made ill by exposure to the putty, were you? Gosh, I hope not. All the 2 part putties [that I know about] contain a chemical called epichlorohydrin. It can cause allergic sensitization reactions through skin contact with the putty itself or respiratory exposure from the dusts or aerosols. If you accidentally get it in your eyes, that can be very serious, requiring emergency medical care. I only bring this up because this is just your second sculpting and you may not be aware of the problem.

The other thing to remember is that there are widely varying degrees of sensitivity to this stuff. Some people can't get in the same room with it. Others can handle it with bare hands and are not bothered. With me, I've found I really need thin vinyl gloves and some fresh air coming into the room to use it safely.

There's quite a bit of info on the web about 2 part putties and you can also look for the manufacturers' material safety data sheet.

Again, please pardon my prying and don't feel obligated to reply. Health is a private issue. Get well soon!

All the best,
    Dan
  19. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Groundwork looks great Gino. Bring on the figure! (y)
  20. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Hi Dan,

No problem. I'm open for evey solution. I have CFS from my childhood, getting worse from when I'm about 24. That was about ten years ago, long before I "discovered" putty. I will mention this to the professor who's trying to help me. Thank you very much for mentioning. I do have a friend though who can not use Magic Sculp because of allergic reaction. He even had to go to the hospital because of this. He doesn't has any problem with Duro/Green Stuff.

Thanks again for mentioning.

Best wishes,

Gino