1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Russian male nurse

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by gforceman, Dec 27, 2005.

1. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Hi all,

Included are some pictures of a new figureI'm trying to sculpt; it's a Russian male nurse during WWI. Most of the sculpting is finnished (except some details, especially on the headgear) and a lot of cleaning up. Then I can start painting (I'll post more pics then). The head and hands are from Hornet, the boots Dragon. The rest is either a mix of Magic Sculp and Carve or MS and Green Stuff. Since I'm a complete newbie with this sculpting thing, advise, critism and help is even more welcome then normal.

Best wishes and that you all may have a superb 2006!!!

Gino

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Gino - Interesting topic for a figure! I would never have thought of that one and I'm a certified WWI nut! And what you've done so far is pretty neat. I have no idea why you combined all the putties. I pretty much stick with Magic Sculpt now. I'm going to try Aves when my present supply of MS runs out, but don't think I'll use most of the others you mentioned again. They all add more complications than I can successfully deal with as a novice sculptor.

Suggestion on the clothing folds. Put on a relatively heavy coat like the one the figure seems to be wearing. It doesn't have to be the same style, etc. Stand as nearly as possible in the same pose as the figure. Looks like you could stand with one foot on an upturned box or something or maybe on some stairs. Then have someone take some digital photos from 3 or 4 views so that all the folds are shown. I think in the photos you'll see more folds than you presently have on your figure.

My problem as a fellow novice sculptor is not identifying where the folds should be or pretty much what they should look like, it's mostly getting my hands to duplicate in the putty what I'm seeing.

Keep it up! Don't quit!

All the best,
    Dan
  3. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Hello Dan,

Thanks for your reaction,

Well the carve I used because I promised someone to "test" it. Green stuff was added because it makes the putty a bit more flexible, which I find great for pieces that hang loose from the body. Also, the cured putty doesn't break as easy.

I thought with so an heavy coat there would be less folds? I do find that when sculpting a figure I add too much folds and I should focus more on the forms of the body underneath it. Kind of hard to explain. BTW,it's supossed to be an heavy coat for winter weather. In the drawing and pictures of it, there weren't many folds in it either. I got it from the osprey book on WWI on the eastern front.

Best wishes,

Gino
  4. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Interesting piece.
  5. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Gino - I'm sure you did your research thoroughly. I greatly respect and admire your previous work posted on pF, incidentally. ;)

I did a quick review of all the Russian uniforms I've scanned and saved and the other references, but didn't come up with that particular coat, unfortunately. I was hoping for some photos of it being worn. I agree with you there would be few folds. No doubt it is heavy fabric. [Probably in my sculpts in the past, I've put in too many folds, but I'm working on that.] In your sculpt, to me at least, it looks like too few folds, however. I would think the coat would fold naturally, even with a heavy fabric, into a few rolls behind and around the top of the raised knee. I think there would be several folds opposite the elbow around the flexed arm. If the coat vent in back at the bottom was pulled apart to that extreme degree, wouldn't that cause more or less vertical stretch folds above the vent and possibly along the unflexed leg? Just an opinion, my friend. Take it for what it's worth.

All the best,
    Dan
  6. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Hello Dan,

Thanks for the answer. I'll sit back and have a look at it tomorrow (it's now 2:30 at night). Last week Marijn vanGils was here and that wasn't one of the things he mentioned. Then again not even Marijn is almighty (yes, I know he's very close to it, but still ;) ) and we might have overlooked it. BTW, the books is the men-at-arms 364 The Russian army 1914-18. I tried to make the figure in plate A4 but with the headgear from D3 (it seemed to be common practice to wear these kind of headgear). Anyway the coat is described as a "the Bekesha; this was a popular aternative to the usual greatcoat; this was the long version of the fleecelined polushubok.

Many thanksforall your help and advice my friend.

Greetz,

Gino
  7. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Gino- I agree Marijn certainly approaches divinity in his sculpting! If I had his talent in just my little pinkies!! Well maybe I'd need the thumbs also... :eek: :lol:

Thanks for the reference! Always helpful to see a good reference illustration and especially one done by my favorite Osprey artist, Andrei Karachtchouk. I haven't looked at this book for awhile. My favorite is the wierd-looking Turkmen at G2 and the armored car driver at F1 dressed from head to toe in black leather. I'm not a very good painter, but wouldn't black leather be difficult to paint?

I'm looking at plate A4 and kinda comparing it to your figure. And I would say you've done a pretty darn good job sculpting it. I still think the coat would "ride up" and form a few folds above the flexed leg. Also, look at the flexed elbow in the illustration. There are several flex folds at the elbow itself as well as a vertical fold near the shoulder and a cross fold at about the wrist. Your figure has a tighter elbow flex pose and, in my opinion, the folds would consequently be tighter, probably fewer in number and somewhat elongated.

Again, I'm just trying to help with this critique - in the same manner that I ask to have my own stuff critiqued. It's the central value of this forum for me!

All the best,
    Dan