Completed Russian Lancer

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Ben-nl, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Ben-nl A Fixture

Netherlands
    Ratty and Steve like this.
  2. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    Nicely painted but that right arm makes this bust look very odd
  3. Ineluki Active Member

Poland
    It's not a Russian Lancer. It' Polish Ulan :).
    cheers
    Simon
  4. polyphemus Well-Known Member

Nope it's a Russian lancer. I agree the one and a half arms look odd, almost a work in progress waiting for the left arm.

Geoff
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Looking good Ben.
    I should go for more shading. The face looks allover the same color.
    Marc
  6. Martin Rohmann A Fixture

Germany
    It's definitively a russian Uhlan/Lancer. They looked very similar to their enemies, the polish Uhlans fighting for Napoleon.

For Instance:

Russian...:

[IMG]

Polish...:

[IMG]

And , by the way: He is very well painted so far!

Cheers
  7. Fex Well-Known Member

Russian-Federation
    The author wrote correctly.
    Everything correctly is the uhlan. The regiment was called "Polish" In Russian army there were many regiments which were called on a nationality: "Polish, Tatar, Kalmyk, Lithuanian, Ingermandlansky" and so on, but it didn't mean that Poles or who that another, there was many nationalities there served.

The artist very well painted a figure.

P.S. The sculptor once again made many mistakes in a uniform. As well as in a bust of the Russian grenadier. If the uniform not exact, a bust loses the value as a military and historical miniature.
    At a molding of a military and historical miniature personal imaginations and conjectures are inadmissible, it is necessary to be guided by only historical documents, museum pieces and other serious documents.
  8. Ineluki Active Member

Poland
    Ok. My mistake then. I was a bit sugested by the photo attached in the first post, there is a subtitle "Polonishe Ulan Regiment" .
    Cheers
    Simon
  9. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Arms do look weird I must say, right arm is strange and left creates impression of amputation.. All last 3 Richard's works seem to have this problem - not the best solution artistically. If sculptor decided to do one arm, its best to do the other IMHO
    Paintwork looks good so far, there is a feel that it needs a little more to finish