1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Russian Infantryman 1904

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Martin Antonenko, Oct 29, 2015.

1. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Another interesting SBS Martin...

Following along

Colin
    Martin Rohmann likes this.
  2. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Thanks Colin!

Cheers
  3. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    53. Day, January 19, 2016

Today the time has unfortunately only served to "restore" the belt...:

[IMG]
    Dan Morton and napoleonpeart like this.
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Martin,

Every little bit helps the belt looks good

Looking forward to seeing a bit of colour on the kittel and greatcoat epaulettes

Nap
  5. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    52. Day, January 20, 2016

I have just painted the new wrinkles. Hmmm ...

Really satisfied I am not...:

[IMG]

But wait, until I have painted the sleeve tomorrow and have a look at both together...
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    Martin,

You are certainly matching the whites well

If I might comment at the moment the folds look a little too pointed towards the shoulder but as you say lets see how it looks with the sleeve done as well

Watching with interest as always

Nap
  7. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    54. Day, January 21, 2016

After I have just painted the sleeve, it is clear that I have to resculpt my new drapery on the chest !

[IMG]

[IMG]

The wrinkles must be smaller-scaled, some of them even sharper, a "crumpled" impression must be made.

Tomorrow is sculpting...
  8. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    I totally get it Martin. If you're not happy with it :sour: , then a mans gotta do, what a mans gotta do ;)!

Joe
    napoleonpeart and Martin Rohmann like this.
  9. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    This is it, Joe! (y)

------------------------------------------

55. Day, January 22, 2016

Started to rework the wrinkles...:

[IMG]

The final result you see then next Monday - hopefully with better images ...
  10. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    56. Day, January 25, 2016

Gotcha!

[IMG]
    napoleonpeart and billyturnip like this.
  11. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    57. Day, January 26, 2016

Todas I have painted the back of the "kittel"...:

[IMG]
    Joe55 and billyturnip like this.
  12. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Looking good Martin. As I am painting white uniforms myself I know this is a lot more difficult than it looks. (y)
    napoleonpeart and Martin Rohmann like this.
  13. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Thank you, Roger!

-----------------------------------------------------

58. Day, January 27, 2015

Sleeve is ready painted...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    napoleonpeart and billyturnip like this.
  14. Nap Moderator

England
    Martin ,

That is looking better , the more "white" that is done seems to be bringing it together even more

what colour are you thinking for the greatcoat across the chest ?

looking forward to seeing the flash of colour on the epaulettes as well

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  15. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Thanks Nap!

Tomorrow I will begin with the shoulder strap, I will paint it red with yellow numbers on it - like the historical template...

The greatcoat will be made grey with a little brownish tone inside...

Cheers
  16. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    59. Day, January 28, 2016

Today, I can do something different as painting eternal "White" because we come to the shoulder strap.

That 11th East Siberian Rifle Regiment wore red epaulettes with yellow markings on it ...:

[IMG]

It should be noted that it is less is a bright red, but a color that goes well into violet.

So you have to imagine the red in the original ...:

[IMG]

So I took these colors...:

[IMG]

And so it has become ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Tomorrow the insignia on the shoulder - and also it will be a little regimental history ...
    arj, billyturnip and napoleonpeart like this.
  17. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Martin,

Ye Hah...colour , very interesting how you interpret the colour , looks good but I would slightly shadow more or maybe increase the colour itself ...be good to see the lettering on it as well.

Might be my screen but the the white seems to have greenish tinge to it

Looking forward to seeing more

Nap
  18. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Thanks Nap. The "white" is only mixed with white, grey and a little ocre...
    No greentone in it.

Cheers
  19. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    60. Day, January 29, 2016
    Now we come to the badges on the shoulder pieces:
    There were two common methods to bring the regimental numbers on the shoulder pieces of the Russian soldiers ...:
    On the one printed on it (or painted them from shortages of materials with ink pen by hand) or you used small prefabricated numbers and letters made of tinplate for it.Here both methods in the picture ...:
    [IMG]
    And here again the back of such tinplate letters ...
    [IMG]
    ... And mounted on a shoulder ...:
    [IMG]
    Here more of tinplate letters ...:
    [IMG]

The 11th East Siberian Rifle Regiment wore the epaulets, the term "11 BC" what the Cyrillic abbreviations for " 11 [/ b] [/ u]. В [/ b] [/ u] осточная С [/ b] [/ u] ибирь стрелковый полк "(pronounced" 11 Wostochnaya Sibir 'strelkovij polk "was being "Polk" "regiment" and means "strelkowij" from the word "Strelzij" (= "Sagittarius" = "Protect") is derived.
    [IMG]The difference between "normal" infantry regiments and protecting regiments was, incidentally, the former was during training focusing more on Salve fire and bayonet charge, and dominated the latter more the shooting training with careful destinations.
    The badges were, as we have already seen, yellow ...
    [IMG]

... And so I have also painted ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

And now a bit regimental history from the time at issue here, namely the Russo-Japanese War from February 1904 until the autumn of 1905:
    The 11th East Siberian Rifle Regiment was one of the war began on the 3rd Siberian Armeekops.
    The soldiers had the misfortune to be commanded by one of the most incompetent commander of the entire Russian army, namely the Lieutenant General Anatoly Mikhailovich Stessel ...
    [IMG]... Of not his ability but his good relations owed his position to the Tzar.
    Already during the first major battle of the war at the Yalu (the border river between the Russian-occupied Manchuria and claimed by both belligerents Korea) on 30 April to 1 May 1904 (after our era), General Stessels had difficult beaten by the Japanese Army Corps to retreat hastily.
    The Russian army to the Stessels belonged Corps, had been commissioned, any Japanese attempts to cross the Yalu ward.
    The Russians did not use their time to dig sufficient positions or to explore the other side of the Yalu. So they were surprised by the strength of Japanese troops on April 30, as this could almost unhindered cross the river. On May 1 attacked three Japanese divisions, supported by more than 100 guns, at the Russian positions.
    [IMG]
    Although the frontal invading Japanese suffered considerable losses, they were able to throw the Russians from their positions. The subsequent Japanese artillery fire and the threat of encirclement could fall into a panicky retreat, the Russians.
    The Japanese had thus won the first major land battle of the war and thus destroyed Russia hopes for an easy victory.
    The 11th East Siberian Rifle Regiment covered the retreat of the defeated 3rd Corps and thereby suffered heavy losses!
    How high the losses of the unit overall, can no longer be quantified precisely - but the regiment was not replenished but of one part of the survivors - along with survivors of other units - formed the Provisional Regiment 585 of 1. Manchurian Army, why outages between 50 percent and two-thirds of the original stock.
    Another part of the survivors was assigned to the 32nd Regiment of the 1st Provisional Manchurian Army.
    General Stessel was replaced after the battle and replaced by General Lieutenant-General Fyodor Keller...:
    [IMG]Stessel was added on to the fortress of Port Athur, "initiated" since 1 August 1904 the defensive struggle against the Japanese siege (the real line had the generals Konstantin Nikolayevich Smirnov ...
    [IMG]... and Roman Isidorowitswch Kondratenko) ...
    [IMG]
    ... and surrendered on January 2, 1905 (each of our era!) after Kondratenkos death at the front the fortress with 32,000 combat-capable soldiers to the Japanese.
    He even found time to send a pathetic telegram to the Tsar ("Great Mighty Tsar, teach us, but teach us gracious ...", and to take pictures with the Japanese champion, General Nogi, while his soldiers in captivity went ...:
    [IMG]As Stessel after the war arrived in St. Petersburg, he was brought before a court-martial and sentenced on 7 February 1908. death. Later the sentence in 10 years imprisonment was converted. Was on May 6, 1909 - believe it or not! Pardoned Stessel of Tsar Nicholas II and taken back to the military service -..
    Only in November 1905 - after the war - the 11th East Siberian Rifle Regiment was re-racked.
    1918 resolved the Bolsheviks on the unit.
  20. Nap Moderator

England
    Martin,

Superb information all the way especially on the numbers and the Regiment ...as for the epaulettes they look good

Well worth the work..adding a bit of colour as well

Thanks for sharing

Nap