Russian Infantryman 1904

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Martin Rohmann, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Nap A Fixture

England
    Martin,

That cap looks suitably dented and worn in shape

The white is coming along as well ...

Looking forward to seeing more colour on the cap

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    Martin Rohmann likes this.
  2. Martin Rohmann A Fixture

Germany
    Thanks Nap!!!

-------------------------------------

33. Day, December 11, 2015

Today I have the cap band painted - and finally between cap band and lid a super slim outlining with "Paynes Grey '" made (black would be too hard!), because this optically gives the whole thing even more depth ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Like this it would have looked, if I had follow the original scuplt...:

[IMG]

I'm quite happy with my version ...
    Dan Morton and napoleonpeart like this.
  3. Nap A Fixture

England
    Cap band looks good, more crumpled and worn

Looking forward to seeing what you have planned for the uniform itself

Keep at it Martin

Thanks for sharing ..you are getting there

Nap
  4. Martin Rohmann A Fixture

Germany
    Thank You, Nap!!! :) :) :)
  5. Martin Rohmann A Fixture

Germany
    34. Day, December 14, 2015

Painted the upper part of the cap...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Joe55, dArtagnan and napoleonpeart like this.
  6. Martin Rohmann A Fixture

Germany
    35. Day, December 15, 2015

Today I was the first on the seam cap lid designed with very dilute "Paynes Grey". The area around the seam around is really modeled very good as are above and innumerable small wrinkles and cracks just below the seam, purporting to be older and worn fabric.

These little wrinkles I have made up my mind today - I think this comes as quite good ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    billyturnip and napoleonpeart like this.
  7. Nap A Fixture

England
    Hi Martin,

That's looking good , the little wrinkle do look good ( looks a bit like stitching ) and adds that extra something to the cap , I must admit I do not envy you painting all that white but it's working well

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  8. Martin Rohmann A Fixture

Germany
    Thanks to you for your Kind words, Nap!(y)

------------------------------------------

36. Day, December 16, 2015

Before I will paint tomorrow the most difficult part of the figure- the cockade on his cap - there is now only once a little research ...:

In the Imperial Russian Army three different cockades were common ...:

[IMG]

On the far left in the picture the cockade for ordinary soldiers is to be seen, in the middle of the one for non-commissioned officers and for officers the model on the right.

Because of interest in connection with this bust just the model for enlisted men, I let off the other two versions.

The cockade model consisted for ordinary soldiers was of stamped sheet metal and had orange and black rings that were painted or enamelled ...:

[IMG]

That is the part that I will paint tomorrow...
  9. Nap A Fixture

England
    Good research Martin the cockade will add a nice splash of colour to the headwear

Keep at it

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  10. Martin Rohmann A Fixture

Germany
    Some more words about about the orange and black stripes of the imperial russian cockade...:

These are the so-called "Saint Georg colors", they symbolize the holy Saint George, the patron saint of Russia. The colors were under Tsarism as common as during the Soviet period and even today.

In tsarist times there were, for example, the "Cross of St. George", a bravery order with orange-black ribbon ...:

[IMG]

The Soviets were careful not to change this color symbolism, as they also introduced a bravery medal in WW2. Although they changed the (christian) cross in a star but left the ribbon unchanged - and called the Order "Glory Order".

[IMG]

On the next photo - taken in Leningrad 1945 - we have the very rare example of a veteran who carries together the tsarist Version (far right) and far left the Soviet version of the Order...:

[IMG]

The St. George color experience in Russia since the annexation of the Crimea today a renaissance!

They are the badge of the nationalists ...

[IMG]

... and the sign of recognition of the separatist Ukrainians and Cossacks in the Donbass region of Eastern Uukraine ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

On the 70th anniversary of victory over Germany on May 9, 2015, the Saint George colors were for the first time since World War 2 painted as parade-colors to the new T-14 ("Armata") tanks...:

[IMG]
  11. Nap A Fixture

England
    Hi Martin,

Great info ..are you adding medals to your version ...can't remember if Steve sculpted any?

Looking forward to seeing more

Nap
  12. Martin Rohmann A Fixture

Germany
    Tank you, Nap, but no, I can't add some medals to the bust. He carries his overcvoat over the places were medals should be worn...

That's not bad, because I have painted already two cossacks with those medals...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

Cheers
    Dan Morton and napoleonpeart like this.
  13. Nap A Fixture

England
    Hi Martin ,

Of course who can forget those 2 wonderful SBS and the final results shown ...I and many others followed and enjoyed with much pleasure.

Nap
  14. Martin Rohmann A Fixture

Germany
    37. Day. December 17, 2015

There are days when I hate my affinity for Russian themes - namely, whenever I have to paint a tsarist cockade!

Those things are oval - you can't help by painting points (such as when painting eyes). No, I have a total of four uniform ovals paint - and the brass oval.

I have taken these colors:

[IMG]

And if all of that is happening in an area that is not quite half the size of the globe on a Eurocent, then it's doubly difficult - especially as my trembling paws always want to do something else, than I do.

Therefore, what I show you today, just the beginning of the cockade. I will still improve it...:

[IMG]
    billyturnip and napoleonpeart like this.
  15. Nap A Fixture

England
    Hi Martin,

A splash of colour on a well painted white canvas ....looking good , be interesting to see what else you are going to do with the cockade .

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  16. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Well-researched and thorough as always, Martin! I like the greenish shading blended into the depressions in the cap.

I've made a couple of cockades/cocardes and tried different materials. I found that putty really didn't do all that well and a carefully cut piece of lead sheet looked better and painted up nicely. I used a couple bent metal tubes to impress the 'circles' into the lead.

All the best,
    Dan
  17. Martin Rohmann A Fixture

Germany
    Thank you, Nap and Dan.

Let's wait for tomorrow when I will start me second try...

Cheers
  18. Martin Rohmann A Fixture

Germany
    38. Day, December 18, 2015

Cockade improved...:

[IMG]
    Joe55 and napoleonpeart like this.
  19. Nap A Fixture

England
    Nice work on that cockade ...looks good

Thanks great sharing

Nap
  20. Martin Rohmann A Fixture

Germany
    39. Day, December 21, 2015

Today I painted the top cap lid. Except for the border and there modeled little push wrinkles. This I will make tomorrow...:

[IMG]
    Joe55, billyturnip and napoleonpeart like this.