1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Russian Infantryman 1904

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Martin Antonenko, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Day 2, October 29, 2015

Dear Planeteers!

Today I have started my new Project - the "Russian Infantryman 1904" from "Model cellar". The first work on my new bust can be reported.

First I reworked the fitting neck/Body:

[IMG]

[IMG]

Then the head is drilled from the bottom, carefully washed and mounted on a cork with a toothpick....:

[IMG]

After that I primed with "Army Painter / Grey" ...:

[IMG]
  2. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Right on Martin!

Always enjoy following your projects :)!

Joe
    Martin Rohmann likes this.
  3. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I'm looking forward to seeing this one develop martin
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Martin

This is going to be good , nice to see you doing a SBS

Is this the sculpt by Steve Leadley aka Valiant here on PF

Looking forward to seeing the develop

Nap
    Martin Rohmann and ModelCellar like this.
  5. ModelCellar A Fixture

Hi Nap,

Yep, that's the one. It's the companion piece to our Japanese infantryman Russo-Japanese War. Dan Capuano is doing/did the box art. Dan used the cover of the Osprey book for reference:
    http://www.amazon.com/Russo-Japanes...36894&sr=1-7&keywords=russo-japanese war 1905
    However due to having the camera looking down on the piece at an angle, the pics made the piece look a little distorted. ...so, waiting for new pics.
    I'll see if I could post the initial pics just to show the colors.

Paul
    www.ModelCellar.com
    napoleonpeart and Martin Rohmann like this.
  6. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    3. Day, October 30 2015

The dark primer brings at light, which was previously not seen on the very bright resin.

Firstly, the eyebrows are slightly different(green arrows). I can live with that needs to align the brush.

[IMG]

At the right (in the photo) temple a temporal hairline is to seen, as a hair or a bristle brush were (by greasing) in the form.

The ridge is small but too big to him easy to paint away! So I have to grind.

[IMG]

The biggest problem, however: In the (in the photo!) left eye is an iris defined (red arrow), but not in the other eye!

[IMG]

I did not dare, the iris to mill out - that's what I did one in the other eye...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

So much for today...
  7. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    4th day, 2 November 2015

Today I started the painting with the eyes.

They are made with acrylics - and these colors were used ...:

[IMG]

I have deliberately used a rather bright color for the irises, because our friend will be blond ...

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Whether I - at the large scale - will be working with reflex points, or natural reflexes (painting the eyes with Gloss Varnish), is not fixed yet ...
  8. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    5. Day, November 3, 2015

Just finished today's painting session - but it remains a bit of frustration!

I see that I am both with the "large" scale as well as with the new medium "oil paints" have much to learn.

This painted parts all seems too hard, the contrasts could better blended and the high lights I must set better, so is there still work to me.

What particularly concerns me is the connective tissue under the eyes!

It is - as you can see in the pictures of yesterday's episode - modeled differently.

Basically not bad because faces are not so symmetrical. But here the two parts of the eye are so far "apart" modeled, I do not really get painted them "together" .

So for today I put my head first again to the side ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

With the eyelids and eyelid lines I'm on the other hand so reasonably satisfied ...
  9. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    6. Day, November 4, 2015

I have tried to start painting the nose and see it, if I can live better with the parts under the eyes .

Conclusion: I CAN NOT!

There remains only one thing: Resculpting...:

[IMG]
    ChaosCossack and napoleonpeart like this.
  10. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    7. Day, 6 November 2015

The rework was worth it - so it looks a lot better, I think ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

The final lights are not yet on it ...
  11. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Day 8, November 6 2015

Today I have the nose and the first cheek painted - and mixed for the darkest areas a little "Deep Purple" in my skin color.

The final lights on the nose, cheek and around the (in the photo right) eye are setted...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

The other side will have to wait a little....:
  12. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Martin,

Well done on the reworking of the face , nice result , love the way you approach the model and painting , this is a classic style bust and the face is great with our painting it will come to life , like the way the nose has been sculpted by Steve

Looking forward to seeing more

Thanks for sharing

Nap

PS Can I ask what made you choose this piece to paint?
  13. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Tank you, Nap!

I choosed this bust for the Russo-Japanese War is one of my favorite episodes in history, and - secondly - I like this classic bust.

Cheers
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  14. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    9. Day, 6. November 2015

Last weekend I t00k part at a workshop at the Tin Figure Museum Goslar...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

At the end of the first day paintig together with good friends I finished the second cheek...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  15. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    10. Day, November 7, 2015

Forehead painted, reflex points in the eyes, mouth and chin done ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  16. Nap Moderator

England
    Martin ,

Wow he has a great face full of the look of war ....

Will you be doing further highlights on the face areas you have worked on..excuse my question ..I use acrylics!

Following the with interest

Nap
  17. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Nice painting Martin but the diagonal wrinkles under his eyes just don't look quite right somehow. Apologies to anyone who has wrinkles like that.
  18. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Hi Nap!

I don't will paint more highlight on it, for they are there, but not good to be seen on the pics... :(

Cheers
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  19. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    11. Day, November 11, 2015

Today I have the first temple painted. And while I have added on the cheeks for the deepest shade my skin tone mix something deep purple, this time it was "Dark Green" (by Mussini). Comes quite well, I think ...:

[IMG]
  20. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    12. Day, November 12, 2015

Second temple painted...:

[IMG]