1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Russian Imperial Majesty Leib-Guards Cuirassier Regiment

Discussion in 'Imperial Russian Empire' started by Capt. Warren, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Capt. Warren PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Does anyone know of a figure that portrays a Russian Imperial Majesty Leib-guards Cuirassier? Looking for time frame 1760-about 1770s. I can convert anything similar, but am unable to reproduce the helmet. Any information would be appreciated
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Have you pictures of the uniform ?

Nap
  3. Capt. Warren PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi there

Looking at the pic it looks later than the dates in your first post but am happy to be proved wrong

Found this on a site called Diorama.ru

Unsure of the make though sorry

Also this bust from UEM

Nap

image.jpeg image.jpeg
  5. Capt. Warren PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    The Czar Nicholas figure provides the helmet I seek, or at least the double eagle. Might be able to take the head , helmet, and shoulder boards and modify a french cuirassier body. Thank you very much. This gives me something to work wit...and hopefully I can get the Czar figure still...
  6. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nap likes this.
  7. Capt. Warren PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thank you Andrew, very useful description! I did not realize that the metal devise was gold for Her Majesty and silver for His majesty. I appreciate your information.
  8. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Imperial Russian Leib Guard Cuirassier Regiment

Императорский лейб-гвардейский кирасирский полк
    (Imperatorskij lejb-gvardeyskij kirasirskij polk)

A. 20th Century

Uniform pre 1914...:

[IMG]

Uniform after 1914...:

[IMG]

Helmet...:

[IMG]

Uniform Jacket General...:

[IMG]

Gala cape...:

[IMG]

Shoulder boards...:

a) Sub Lieutenant...:

[IMG]

b) Lieutenant

[IMG]

c) Shoulder board low rank officers (Lieutenant to Rottmistr)

[IMG]

d) Shoulder boards higher rank officers (Shtabs-Rottmistr to Colonel)

[IMG]

Cuirass...:

[IMG]

Epaulettes:

a) Epaulet for low rank officers...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

b) Epaulett for higher rank officers...:

[IMG]

Collar patches for overcoat...:

[IMG]

Regimental badge (lower rankes)...:

[IMG]

Regimental badge higher ranks...:

[IMG]

Looking für some more special? Ask!

-----------------------------------------------------------

One last word about the bust from "Michaels Miniatures" that Nikolaj II. is supposed to represent:

[IMG]

The clothing is pure fantasy! Someone sculpted a photo but did not research it!

This vest, called "Supreveste", was worn exclusively by members of the 1st and 3rd squadrons and exclusively at the palace service!

[IMG]

The other two squadrons wore "Suprevests" with the guards star...:

[IMG]

The bust was justified when it came onto the market with this photo, which is supposed to show Tsarevich Nikolai Aleksandrovich Romanov...:

[IMG]

But that's not true! The Duke of Leuchtenburg can be seen in the photo - a close relative, who looked very similar to Nikolai!

Nikolai never wore this vest!

And even if the vest were right (which it doesn't!) then the epaulettes are wrong!

These epaulets were worn by officers of low ranks (lieutenants and captains / Rotmistr).

Nikolai as Tsar NEVER wore other badges of rank than those of a colonel (Polkownik). His beloved father had given him this rank - he stayed with him until his death.

Cheers
    theBaron likes this.
  9. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    B. 18th Century

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Thats all I have.

Cheers
    theBaron, Tecumsea and Tom W. like this.
  10. Capt. Warren PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Martin, your post is SO HELPFUL in so many ways and provides terrific detail. Thank you for taking the time to put this together and sharing. I am impressed with your expertise, and like so many members, share willingly. I am converting an SK Miniatures Cuirassier bust (with horse bust) and needed a 1/9 double eagle for the helmet conversion. That is where the Czar Nicholas figure comes in. Will just be using that piece. So, the helmet photo you sent is a terrific reference. I am going to use the cuirass, but your description of the supreveste is very interesting. I have a bit of work to do to convert the French Cuirassier to an earlier period Russian, but think I am up to the task. Thank you very much for your time and information
    Tecumsea likes this.
  11. Tom W. Well-Known Member

Germany
    Some times ago the Ukrainien Company Miniart adverts some 120 mm injection moulded figures from the czarist army around 1900/14.
    They were in their catalog,but it seems they were never produced.
    There´s a 120 mm French cuirassier with his horse in their programm.
    miniart-models.com
  12. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Thx William - I'm very curious for your result! Wish you good success.

Cheers
  13. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I'm confused, though. If you're shooting for a figure from 1760-1777, though, then there is no helmet. That wasn't introduced till the middle of the 19th century. Martin's "B" post depicts the 18th century uniforms. Very different from the uniform worn in the 19th century, by which time the uniform had undergone a good deal of evolutions.

Prost!
    Brad
  14. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Tecumsea likes this.
  15. Capt. Warren PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thanks Baron....well, the sans helmet throws a bit of a kink into my plans, but , but like they say in the USMC....adapt and overcome! Damn, that was a good idea too! Seriously, I really do appreciate the information....I fear that I would have been slaughtered by putting a helmet on my 1760s Leib-guards Cuirassier. Thanks for the correction!!!!
    theBaron likes this.
  16. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Somov produced a 90mm figure in the 90's with the Supravest.

Keith
  17. Capt. Warren PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Does anyone have a reference photo of the Ekaterina the Great (the E script) crest that appeared on the breast plate of a Curiassier Regiment 1763-about 1778?
  18. akaryu Moderator

Belgium
    Would this be of any help?
    kirasa-oficerskaja-lejb-gvardii-konnogo-polka2.jpg kirasa-oficerskaja-lejb-gvardii-konnogo-polka.jpg

cheers,
    Pierre
  19. Capt. Warren PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Pierre, this is FANTASTIC and exactly the images for which I was hoping. I REALLY want to thank you for your post and this will be of the greatest help

Bill Warren
  20. akaryu Moderator

Belgium
    Glad to be of any assistance, good luck with the sculpting!

The first picture is with the monogram of Anna Ivanovna, who ruled from 1730 till 1740; the second photo shows a close up of Catharina the Great's monogram. Both are from objects in the collection of the Государственный исторический музей, the State
    Historical Museum on Red Square in Moscow.

Pierre