1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Russian Commander Voevoda XVII Century

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tiberius57, Mar 2, 2012.

1. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    This 54mm ELITE Miniaturas is my latest almost finished project. It is my first attempt to paint in acrylics. I used Andrea green and red paint sets. I burnished the armour and helmet and applied oil washes. The armour and helmet ornaments are painted in metallic enamels as well as the other metallic ornaments. The cape has a light sheen, which is amplified by the lights used during the photo session. I was wondering why this happened after the last highlights. Before it was solid flat. I didn’t used Tamiya X21 Flat Base. I just received a bottle few days ago. The last step is to seal with a mat varnish. On other projects I used Krylon Matte Finish in a spray can. I was thinking to use for the first time Vallejo Mat Varnish. How are you applying this varnish? Diluted? Strait from the bottle? Using a brush? Airbrush?
    Your feedback is much appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Zeno
    IMG_1098 - Copy-800-600.jpg IMG_1099 - Copy-800-600.jpg
  2. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Zeno
    Excellent work on this piece. Very strong colours and the armour looks awesome.

Keep 'em coming

Colin
  3. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Colin. Do you have any experience with Vallejo Mat Varnish?
  4. Ferris A Fixture

Looks great, especially for your first attempt with acrylics.

I have some experience with Matt varnish from Vallejo. I'm not too keen on it. It does dull things up, but doesn't give that dead matt finish you'd want.. And I have the impression that it actually loses some mattness over time.
    It helps a bit if you add a touch of Tamiya Matt varnish, but I'd recommend to find a good alternative. I am still searching myself...

Adrian
  5. Mariner Active Member

Canada
    Zeno, he's awesome! Your future work is going to rock if your first try at acrylics is this good(y)
    The metals in particular turned out perfect.
    Mary
  6. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Zeno
    I haven't used the matt varnish at all. I find Vallejo finish is ok on it's own but some colours, no matter who makes it, have a bit of a glossy finish... Particularly, Prussian Blue, some of the middle Greys and the dark Greens. I do find, by not using them straight out of the bottle, but mixing the with another colour to devalue them helps. IE Black with Blue, Brown or Black with Greys and Greens.
    The only time I have used a varnish, usually Semi-gloss, is as a local effect on wood or leather.

Hope that helps

Colin
  7. flart1943 Active Member

England
    Excellent paintwork.
    Pete
  8. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks guys for your kind words.
    Thanks Colin for the tips. It's a must try for the next projects.
    Adrian, I did an experiment today. After steering very well the mat Vallejo varnish (took off the dropper) I applied it full strength (undiluted) in 3 thin layers, with a brush on a finished 54mm face. Painting was done in acrylics. It turned solid gloss. I don't know what I did wrong, but I was obliged to go back to my old Krylon spray and fix the problem. I like the idea to have the paintwork protected by a thin layer of varnish, not only for the finish but also as a mechanical protection. It is easier to clean the dust, also.
    I'll try to dilute the varnish and apply it with the airbrush. I'm curious to find out how it works.