1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Ruptured Duck! Ever worn before discharge?

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by MattMcK., Jan 14, 2020.

1. MattMcK. PlanetFigure Supporter

The Jeff Shiu MP has a Ruptured Duck (Honorable Discharge) patch on his Ike jacket. Should I take that off, or were they ever worn by short-timers while still in-theater during WW II? I think it would look good just to leave it, but probably inaccurate. I was looking for another appropriate diamond shaped breast patch to substitute, but can't seem to find one. Any thoughts from the uniform experts out there?
  2. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    A short-timer could have the lozenge sewn onto his uniform, before his discharge was complete. But it's not likely he'd be on active duty. So if he's an MP manning a post, I don't think he'd have the badge.

Prost!
    Brad
    oldtrousers likes this.
  3. MattMcK. PlanetFigure Supporter

lol! I agree, but don't want to scrape the darn thing off! :)
    theBaron likes this.
  4. Helm A Fixture

England
    I'm sadly disappointed, the title was far more interesting than the topic :D
    Steve
    Babelfish, Blind Pew and MattMcK. like this.
  5. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    MattMcK. and oldtrousers like this.
  6. oldtrousers PlanetFigure Supporter

I would remove it as I do not think that the 'Ruptured Duck" would have been worn by a soldier still serving in Theater such as this figure. The patch was given to Honorably discharged W.W. II service men and women when they were about to leave the service. The purpose of the patch was to allow the discharged personnel to wear their uniform for an additional 30 days as there was a clothing shortage, and it prevented MPs from detaining them for being AWOL while in transit.
    I have a general rule concerning uniforms and that is "never say it could not have happened" because as soon as you do, you'll find a description or picture to contradict that statement. Not to mention the crazy, non regulation things I saw while serving. I suppose it is possible that some soldiers sewed it on while still on duty in anticipation of their upcoming discharge, but I don't think this would have been the norm.

Scott
  7. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    The award served several purposes. It served as proof that the wearer was an honorably discharged veteran returning from duty. Unofficially, it was also used as an identifier to railroad, bus, and other transportation companies who offered free or subsidized transportation to returning veterans.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honorable_Service_Lapel_Button
    MattMcK. and Babelfish like this.