1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review "Rum Ration" from AC Models

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Nap, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi out there ,

AC Models which is the company run by Andrew ( Andy) Cairns hailing from the land of the Kiwi and like this bird Andy's releases always have a interesting subject and of course is full of character showing soldiering as it is in reality and not just on the parade ground.

Andy announces the release of the model here on PF

http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/rum-ration-september-release-80mm-acmodels.66353/

Rum Ration Nuts Jess 024.jpg

The model depicts a side of war that is away from the horrors of the mud , grime, blood , and death of the WW1 trench warfare, showing a humane side of soldiering where a british medic is giving a wounded german a tot of rum somewhere behind the lines .

101.jpg
    This post card above was published by 'M. & I., Ltd.' in its "National Series" and on 22nd May was mailed from Catterick Camp to an address in Gateshead.
    The title on this card reads “NAPOO”. The origin is the French phrase “iln’y ena plus” meaning, ‘There is (are) no more’, ‘Gone’, ‘Finished’, ‘Done’ and ‘Used up’.
    Distribution of the rum ration was usually strictly controlled and it was unlikely that a private soldier would have access to the rum jar as depicted on this card, except of course if he was trying to squeeze the last drop from a discarded jar!
    w0100.jpg
    w010.jpg
    A rum jar held 1 gallon - enough for 64 men. Each man got approximately one third of a pint each week. On the side of the jar were stamped the intiials"S.R.D." thought to stand for “Service Rations Depot” or “Service Reserve Depot”. Soldiers however, said they stood for “Seldom Reaches Destination”, “Soon Runs Dry” and ”Seldom Rarely Delivers”.
    Introduced in the winter of 1914, the rum ration was initially given to soldiers to combat the chill and damp of the trenches.
    In the winter of 1914-15 a war correspondent wrote:
    “Rum rations are by now probably served out to all sections of our Flanders troops. They were started in some divisions, I know, in November. Some people at home feel very uncomfortable about the small rum ration that the troops receive. Almost every man I have met who has served during the winter is in favour of it. A few convinced teetotalers use it to rub their feet ! To most men the drink comes as a glow of light and warmth.”
    In the front line, rum was issued twice a day - at dawn and at dusk.
    An unknown subaltern said the following :
    “There are men so devout they live for rum. I honestly believe some I know would commit suicide if the rum ration were withdrawn. And in truth the rum is good - fine, strong, warming stuff - the very concentrated essence of army-council wisdom.”
    Despite the perceived benefits of the Rum Ration there were still attempts by some temperance societies to have it withdrawn. But there were many army officers who considered it a good thing and said so.
    A Captain Alexander Stewart expressed an even more stronger view than that voiced by the above mentioned war correspondent.
    He said the following:
    “The finest thing that ever happened in the trenches was the rum ration, and never was it more needed than on the Somme. Yet some blasted, ignorant fool of a general - damned in this world and the next - wanted to stop it and, for a time, did. The man must be worse than the lowest type of criminal, have no knowledge of the conditions in which troops exist, and be entirely out of touch with the men who are unfortunate enough to have him as their commander. He should have been taken up to the line and frozen in the mud. I would have very willingly sat on his head, as he was a danger to the whole army. Curse him. Those who have not spent a night standing or sitting or lying in mud with an east wind blowing and the temperature below freezing may think that I am extravagant in my abuse of the man who denied the soldiers their rum rations. Those who have will know I am too temperate. “

Rum was also offered to men detailed on unpleasant tasks such as recovering and burying bodies, those about to undertake a trench raid and of course to give 'Dutch courage' to men about to go ‘over the top’.

So as you can see the rum ration was indeed a very welcome event to all
    w01001.jpg

w0.jpg w001.JPG w.jpg w01.jpg w1.jpg

As always books are easily found on all participants here are a couple from my library w000001.jpg w00001.jpg w0001.jpg w10.jpg w100.jpg w1000.JPG w10000.JPG w100000.jpg w0111.jpg w011.jpg

Continued in next post

Nap
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Lets see what we are looking at

Title: Rum Ration

Reference: AC8001

Scale: 75mm on box

Material: Gray Resin

No of parts: 9

Box Art: N/A

Sculptor/Casting : Andy Cairns

The parts were in the perfectly suitable cardboard box with a black and white image of the unpainted figures made up on the top , parts were held in plastic bags on opening the box so all are safe .

Although the box states 75mm the figures are actually closer to 80mm , certainly larger when comparing to other 75 figures...but this matters not as you get more resin!!!
    Nuts Jess 024.jpg
    Parts consist of 2 figures, a head (of the german) , a british helmet, 2 lower legs ( one for each figure with the other is cast on the main figure !!!) , a hand with a mug , a pipe is shown on box but was not in box itself unless that carpet monster got there first!) and of course the rum jar itself ( this has the 2 medics lower arms on it) , and a substantial base.
    Nuts Jess 025.jpg
    Prep

Figures: Minor casting lines and flashing in addition to casting remnants from the underside of the boots to remove on both , , fit the boots , head and hand to the german and the helmet to the british ( after removes a casting line

Base: Sanding round the edges and test fit the figures to the base ( the german has a substantial plugto tidy up ready to fit into the hole on the base

Andys work has a charm about it , and as I have said before he depicts soldiers as they are in war , with uniforms suitable torn and not in parade ground condition

Lets look at the figures first:

The British medic is in a relaxed state of clothing he wears a shirt under possibly a waistcoat or a short leather jerkin , sleeves are rolled up with all areas showing well worn folds and looking suitably used , the trousers show the same details with the puttees and boots being well defined , laces are nicely done , all of this will make the painting an enjoyable experience
    The head is a typical Tommy with a fine moustache and some good facial features , hair peeking out from under his helmet , the head is angled ready to receive the helmet.
    Nuts Jess 027.jpg Nuts Jess 028.jpg Nuts Jess 029.jpg Nuts Jess 030.jpg Nuts Jess 031.jpg Nuts Jess 032.jpg
    Nuts Jess 033.jpg
    The German prisoner sat on a part of some groundwork he leans slightly forward , this fellow is wounded in the arm and he looks absolutely ragged and dishevelled , his left wounded arm is in a sling being held under his jacket which is draped over his shoulders , the jacket shows all the correct cuff details and piping at the back with the epaulettes having the regimental number on it ( #14 in this case) , boots are well done with there being a tear in the leather by the ankle ..nice attention to detail from Andy , even without the head being fitted you can just sense the relief of being alive , wounded yes but in safe hands and away from the carnage of the front line.

Nuts Jess 034.jpg Nuts Jess 035.jpg Nuts Jess 037.jpg Nuts Jess 043.jpg Nuts Jess 038.jpg Nuts Jess 039.jpg Nuts Jess 040.jpg Nuts Jess 043.jpg Nuts Jess 041.jpg

Continued in next post

Nap
    Zastrow.cuirassier, Nemo and Oda like this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Now to the remaining parts

The Germans head is a really great bit of work he has been wounded in the head and has a bandage around the head and under the chin , a nice moustache again with facial features being also good ...this guy is tired of the whole war and hopes he will see home and his wife soon , on top of his head we have a battered "pork pie" cap pulled over to the right as seen in pictures , looks great , we have the 2 cockades also there , the lower band could be either red or have a gray cover over it the choice is yours.

Nuts Jess 046.jpg Nuts Jess 044.jpg Nuts Jess 045.jpg

The Boots ( one for each) are both well worked with the puttees being nicely done in particular , fit to the main figures is okay with a bit of filler needed .

The Helmet is a good shape as well , an area too often wrong but not in this case , as with the boots the fit is fine sitting on the head at an angle.
    Nuts Jess 047.jpg Nuts Jess 048.jpg

The Arms are cast on the Rum jar , sculpted in Andy's style , fingers are not over scaled with th hands looking like they are actually holding the jar .
    The Jar itself a spot on in shape , just paint and don't forget those letters S.R.D , when in place its angled towards the mug that is held in the hand which again looks like its being held .

Nuts Jess 051.jpg Nuts Jess 049.jpg

Nuts Jess 050.jpg

Note: There is a Pipe in the box art for the medic unfortunately this was not in the review box but easily made or you could give him a cigarette instead

Now to the remaining piece and the largest the Base, this depicts a piece of ground raised at the back for the german to sit onto , the surfaces are all nicely textured and the base is perfectly suitable on its own or you could incorporate it into a bigger scene with other figures from Andy's range.
    Nuts Jess 026.jpg

Final Thoughts

As with all of Andy's releases there is a bit of prep needed , sculpting is in his own style which suits the idea in that he wants to portray soldiers as they were on the battlefield , grimy , ragged but still soldiers in this release we see the softer side of battle . The set will paint up really well and is a good vignette to display . Its a shame we don't see more from Andy but when he does its well worth it .

Lets have some pictures of the figures made up

ac.JPG ac1aa.JPG ac1a.JPG

For more details on this and other releases :

In addition to this we have PF and FB of course

Thanks to Andy for the review model I hope to be able to share more with you in the future.

Of course thanks also to you all for looking in

Happy modelling

Nap

4. Oda A Fixture

That's a lovely vignette,full of character and a bit moving for all those who share their free time between painting and reading history books.Great work.I also feel obliged to comment on Kevin's reviews.They are always a pleasure to read,they are little pieces of art on their own.It takes some talent to do something like that.Hats off for both.

Oda.
    Nemo and napoleonpeart like this.
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Oda ,

Thanks for the comment as you say a lovely vignette full of character and a moving scene

As I said Andy has a good sculpting style bringing out the best in a composition ( look at the Anzac charge in particular )

Thanks for looking in

Nap
  6. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the detailed review, Nap! I always enjoy them. You can't be beat! (y)

As to the kit, what can I say about AC. I've been a fan right from the first kit I saw. As you say his forte' is depicting the human side of suffering and noble soldiers during the Great War. Nobody has ever done it better!

All the best,
    Dan
    Nemo and napoleonpeart like this.
  7. Zastrow.cuirassier PlanetFigure Supporter

France
    [IMG]
    - Have you seen the new NAP review ?
    - Yes, still excellent, as always, and in addition we know why we're going to lose this offensive!:(
    - Why ?
    - These tiny English drugs our soldiers with their West Indian Rum, we do not have that secret weapon.:cry:
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  8. Bournouna Active Member

United-States
  9. Bournouna Active Member

United-States
    Andy does have a great sculpting style, his castings however, are one of the worst on the market, typical of what you get from recasters. I wish he would employ an outside company to do his casting instead of doing it on his own.
  10. Nap Moderator

England

Hi ,

Andy would I believe be the first to say some of the castings have been a bit rough in the past but he has made much improvements as seen here .....as I said work is needed but the result is worth the bench time .

You are of course welcome to your thoughts but I highlight the good and any bad areas on all my reviews but in my opinion to say about AC being some of the worst comparable to recasts is a little off .

As for outsourcing the casting it's all about costs especially with the smaller company's

I welcome any suggestions to make my reviews better as well

Happy modelling

Nap