1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique RSM, 16th Light Dragoons- 100 Days

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ChaosCossack, Jul 3, 2013.

1. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Hey All

After some distractions the last few weeks, namely the Stanley Cup Playoffs... Congrats Blackhawks!!!! I finally finished off this lovely fig. It's a 54mm Romeo painted with Vallejo acrylics, Citadel washes and Sargent acrylic metallics. It is a great casting and a pleasure to paint.

The base is a hand cut chunk of maple I gleaned from a skid for a huge electric motor. The groundwork is Aves Apoxie Clay with natural stones and a dried root serving as the small bush. Ground was painted in earthtones from dark to light and washed with Citadel Delvan Mud. This was then covered with static grass, leafy patches, and cutdown dried flowers. The bush was spritzed with spray glue and sprinkled with dried parsley flakes.

The figure is painted to represent an RSM of the 16th (Queen's Own) Light Dragoons as they were turned out during the Waterloo Campaign. The regiment saw action with the 4th Brigade under Vandaleur, patrolling the French-Belgian Frontier. Once the Grande Armee advanced into Belgium, they fought and covered the tactical retreat of the Allied armies from Quatre Bras, Wavre and finally fought at Waterloo.
    IMGP0223.jpg IMGP0225.jpg IMGP0226.jpg IMGP0227.jpg IMGP0228.jpg IMGP0232.jpg IMGP0233.jpg IMGP0234.jpg IMGP0242.jpg IMGP0243.jpg
    Hope you all enjoy this piece. All comments are welcome and encouraged.

Thanx for looking in

Colin
    Erbay, John Bowery, Martin64 and 11 others like this.
  2. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nicely painted and displayed.

Mike
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  3. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great work all around.

marc
  4. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Great finish Colin,
    Both the figure and groundwork are superb and go together well.
    Really good work my friend, I like it.
    Cheers,
    Keith
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  5. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Oh here it is the complete work!! Again Great work Colin ;)
    Nice job on the groundwork too!!
    Waiting for developments on the Borodino Scene!

Regards
    Pedro
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  6. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Nice one Colin. Love the British LD uniform. You have done a really nice job on this one. How did you like the metals?

colin
  7. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    @ 54mm! lovely work! ... there is little argument in that!.. well done.

Regards,

Mark
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  8. Tonton Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Great stuff… love the groundwork.

Jeff
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  9. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    Great stuff
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  10. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    SUPER! Hope to see this awesome little fella this Sunday!
    See you soon!
    Cheers,
    Zeno
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  11. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Nicely done Colin, the figure is very nicely complimented by the excellent basework.

Keith
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  12. Braemp Active Member

Excellent, Colin. Very nice work all ower but I esp. like the blue jacket. Did you use the citadell wash on the shadows? I got one (think it has something with dragons in the name) but I'm afraid that it will ruin my paintwork and mess things up, but maybe it wont.

Cheers lars

Sent by tapatac
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  13. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx everyone for the kind words and support.
    This is a really nice sculpt that went together well and made it easy to paint.
    For groundwork, I'm starting to gather a nice little stash of bits and pieces of natural and artificial groundcover, roots, twigs, stones, dried flowers and grasses etc. I take advantage of the fact my workplace is located on 100+ acres of parkland and spend many a smokebreak tramping through the wooded areas picking up scraps ;)
    @Colin, I do like the Sargent metals. They are very smooth and the metal flakes in the paint are alot smaller, and therefore easier to handle than some other paints. I just wish there more, darker "silver" tones... for steel.
    @Lars, I didn't use Citadel washes on the blue. The blue base is a mix of Prussian blue and black. For shading I keep adding black to the base. The final shade, under the arms and "outlining" between the blue and red, is almost pure black and very thinned out. I usually only use the Citadel washes over metals, on hair, fur and other textured sufaces, like groundwork and I find it very useful for washing leathers after highs, shadows and distressing is done.... really softens the transistions while giving depth and defining seams, tooling and ceases around buckles and such/

Thanx again guys... finishing this one off finally has put me back on track at the bench after a run of inactivity.

Cheers

Colin
    Wings5797 likes this.
  14. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Colin,
    Very nice finish all round, nice to see you are kick started again. Does this mean the Borodino project is going to get some time!
    cheers
    Richie
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  15. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Colin, beautiful work on this figure, i have never painted a Romeo model before but i will in the near future.
    The work you have done on the basing is out of this world, the leaves made out of dried parsley flakes is definitively a Mc Giver moment :happy:.
    great work overall, keep 'em coming!!
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  16. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx Richie and Daniel
    I'm glad to finally get some 'Me' time to get back to the bench. Gonna have lots of time after the end of the month... Having my knee re-replaced at the end of the month and I'll be off until the new year. I should get TONS of projects done ;)
    Gotta be careful using stuff like parsley, oregano, coffee grounds and tea leaves for ground work... the display case starts to smell like the pantry :joyful:

Colin
    Wings5797 and Richie like this.
  17. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Colin,
    Well done and nice display.
    Cheers
    John
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  18. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx so much John, very much appreciated.

Cheers

Colin