1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review RP Models 1/12th Special Forces Bust with Dog

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Steve Brodie, Nov 24, 2022.

1. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    The model comes in the usual RP Packaging of an outer sleeve displaying whats inside the matt black box

[IMG]

On opening the box you have a small pamphlet, with your edition number on it. The pamphlet goes through the development of the special forces within the united states army

[IMG]

Under neath is a piece of foam, which reveals the inners of the foam padded 'case'

[IMG]

The three cut outs contain the Bust of the Special Ops operator his Belgium Malinois dog and in the third is his weapon and the two antenna's for the radios.

All the pieces have been 3d designed and then 3d printed, which means there are no joins of heads / arms to the torso to worry about, aligning the dog onto the body is easily accomplished as everything just lines up. Looking at the Operator first;

[IMG]

He has his left arm stretched out to hold onto the back of the dogs neck and in his right he has a chicken drumstick held up for his companion, and a nice smile on his face.

He is wearing a typical, as typical it can be for SF operators, loadout for operations

The main piece on his body is the HPC Plate carrier and looking at an image of the real item;

[IMG]

You can see that RP have captured it in perfect detail, even including the bungee straps to hold the spare ammunition for the HK416 in place. You can even see the stars and stripes on the flag patch

[IMG]

Also visible on the model is a carabiner, note pad, board an a bulldog clip. The AN-PRC-148 radio handset is also moulded in fantastic detail as can be seen in this photo of a real handset

[IMG]

Working around the side of the model, we have a pouch with two 'glow sticks' attached via the MOLE straps, under is another pouch this timke with what seems like water bottles

[IMG]

Next to it is one of the AN-PRC-148 radio's holstered in its pouch, but you can clearly see the LCD display, keypad and the lead coming off and leading to the COMTAC headset, again a great copy of the real item

[IMG]

Moving to his back, he is shown wearing a Camelbak Hydration System

[IMG]

[IMG]

Again the sculptor has created a brilliant rendition right down to the filler cap. Moving to his right side is the second of his AN-PRC-148 radio's, this one is connected to his AN-PRC-148 radio handset, I may change the cable on this connection to some coiled wire.

Both hands are moulded wearing Tactical gloves

[IMG]

Continued in next post .....................
  2. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Onto his head;

[IMG]

He is wearing a Ops-Core FAST SF High cut helmet onto which is a pair of X800 goggles, on the front of his helmet is his NVG mount ready for his NVG Set, He is also wearing a pair of ballistic sun glasses

[IMG]

[IMG]

On his ears his is modelled as wearing a COMTAC headset with a mic

[IMG]

His main weapon is the Specia forces inspired Heckler & Koch HK416, which in its self is based on the AR-15, The 3d design and printing has captured all the fine details

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Attached to the common rail is a MK203 Grenade launcher, one of the highlights been the trigger and guard

[IMG]

Continued in next post ............
    dmcHobbes, Babelfish and sd0324 like this.
  3. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    The second largest component is his Belguin Malinois hound, The military's so-called Multi-Purpose Canines are specially selected and trained to handle the most stressful situations while keeping their cool. Barking is forbidden.
    The Malinois in particular is valued for its targeted aggression, speed, agility, and ability to survive in extreme heat. Handlers are known to refer to their dogs as either a "fur missile" or a "maligator."
    These dogs are familiarized with gunfire, rappelling out of helicopters, riding in Zodiac boats, or even skydiving. All said, the dogs and their training cost up to $40,000 each.
    Once they catch up a suspect, they are trained to get the biggest bite that they can — ideally getting a "full mouth bite" and holding on. If the suspect hits the dog, it will only cause the dog to bite down harder and thrash.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Just as with the Operator the dog has been superbly sculpted and printedm its full of details, just look at the mouth details

[IMG]

As with all of the SF dogs, he us wearing a combat vest with a handle on the top for easy picking up;

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Heres a couple of photos - from RP's website, showing everything combined together

[IMG]

[IMG]
    So a fantastic production, and the 3D Printing is awesome, next up is the Special Forces (Delta) with Alligator support vehicle.
    100% recommended
  4. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Superbly animated, but if you are going to have the dog standing on its hind legs whilst being petted and fed, surely its handler needs legs rather than a plinth/pedestal as well?

Mike
    Babelfish likes this.
  5. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Fair point, but I do like it as is. Sure someone with more skill than I will will add some legs to one. Some other busts are worse examples - young miniatures have a habit of just adding floating hands when the arm is there to the elbow.
    Babelfish and MCPWilk like this.
  6. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    An incidental piece of info that Im sure all dog owners here may pick up on, is that you should never give a dog cooked chicken bones as they are incredibly brittle and can damage the dog's gut..... Maybe consider changing the chicken leg for something else..?!(y)
  7. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The whole disembodied hands thing does my head in. It just doesn't work IMHO. "Hobby horse" busts are another of my pet dislikes.

I'm also not a massive fan of half-figures (usually marketed as "busts" but they're not busts in the true sense), to me they're neither one thing nor the other. But that said, this is without a doubt
    a very impressive piece of work by Hugo & co. Very well researched and executed as are all of their figures. Plenty of detail to go at there and I'm sure it'll make a striking finished piece.

- Steve
    Steve Brodie and MCPWilk like this.
  8. Hugo Pereira A Fixture

Portugal
    Its turkey... Not Chicken... :):):)
    Bootneck, sd0324, Nap and 1 other person like this.
  9. Hugo Pereira A Fixture

Portugal
    Hello my Steve

Thank you so much for the post and THANK YOU so much for believe in RPmodels, in my Team and in me...

Big hug and stay safe
    Hugo
    sd0324 likes this.
  10. Hugo Pereira A Fixture

Portugal
    Hello Mike

I used a metal pin in mine and the dog legs touch in the ground. All the support is in the metal pin above the torso...

Thank you so much.
    Regards
    Hugo
  11. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Steve

Thanks for the look at these release , a new dimension ....buy it, take it out the box , prime and paint ...quickly on the bench

Look forward to seeing your version ...not very challenge to paint both handler and dog ....and turkey leg !

Happy benchtime

Nap
  12. Hugo Pereira A Fixture

Portugal
    Hello BIG GUY

Its true... Its the new concept and RPmodels start to have many followers with this new idea. People are loving this concept and we are getting many support on this. And the best its the last improvement... This bust was good but the new casting isnt just good. Its AMAZING... I will send you a few copies and you can do the judgement...

BIG HUG BIG GUY
    Hugo
    Nap and Steve Brodie like this.
  13. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    still the same problem......!!(y)
  14. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Will just paint it as a dog toy leg in some vibrant colour(s) lol
    valiant and Hugo Pereira like this.
  15. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Think the camouflage may be a ‘bit challenging’ lol
    Nap and Hugo Pereira like this.
  16. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Apologies I forgot to mention that wrapped around his lower torso is his fully loaded 40mm grenade belt

38EB8A68-F1D8-44B7-8B71-BADF68B0BB6E.jpeg
    Nap likes this.
  17. sd0324 PlanetFigure Supporter

I have this beautiful piece in my soon to paint line up, it's really well done and Steve's review is strong and full of useful references. Thanks for that. RP has done a great job on this guy. As far as the Camo, I welcome the challenge. As far as the turkey leg being dangerous to dogs, we know about it, but it's probably the least harmful object that dog would come in contact with daily...lol.
    That said, I may change it to something else.

Thanks for the review.
    Steve
    Steve Brodie and valiant like this.