1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

RP Douglas Bader and Spitfire Cockpit

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Steve Brodie, Dec 28, 2018.

1. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Seemed romantic at the time for the brave flyers taking on the German V1's and the bombers. Just an everyday happening, only you did not know what time it would happen.
    Keep the SBS coming.
    Cheers
    John
  2. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    So got to work on the life jacket last night, in hindsight I should have coated the jacket in white first before adding the fist coat of yellow, but hey ho. Shaded and highlighted with various wash mixes to give it a faded/worn look , didnt want it to look like a 'toy' version, plus refernces i have found shows them to be faded than overtly bright

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

This probably a more accurate rendition of the colour

[IMG]

Pallete used to paint the jacket, along with the paints.

[IMG]
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Steve

This is fast becoming a really great piece of modelling , loved the detail you included when you did the airframe and now we come to the man himself

Good that the quality has been mentioned so credit to you and of course RP and the caster ( YS )

Like the colour on the life jacket ..reckon you could push the shadows a bit more and then fade the highs

Following this very closely

Nap
  4. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Sure I replied before,
    Thanks for the kind words, I was thinking the same over the shadows and hi-lights. But as I have discovered before before, if you don’t let the paint dry you can get in a mess, remember painting a head before looks superb, next morning looked like a painted china doll.
    Nap likes this.
  5. Tony Dawe A Fixture

Australia
    Amazing work on a stunning piece. Beautifully rendered and the paint job is equally impressive.
  6. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    So following Naps advice I decided to revisit the shadows and highlights, so this is where I got to;

E6FC52CE-1BF0-4E3E-8D5F-4C2D5DEA2BC3.jpeg C37F4F62-05C4-4DCF-87AF-3DD85CC1A6A0.jpeg

Then I noticed this piece of resin sticking out on the right side of the life jacket

43952840-1A6D-42B3-B6BD-E5B77294D59E.jpeg

So a quick look on the internet and I found this image on Alamys website showing the correct colours, so will have to paint these details

C85780B8-C53A-4FFF-957A-7E061DB3995A.jpeg
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Steve

"My advice" ....I demand to see my lawyer before I say another word ......

Looks good mate ..love the amount of sheer detail painting your putting into this I am enjoying following

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  8. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Last night I joined the upper and lower body parts and this only needed a 'smidge' of Mr liquid filler then got the brushes out and painted up his scarf and the fur collar, Not as shiny as it looks, but everything needs a good coat of AK's ultra matt varnish;

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Needs a bit of 'tidying' up where everything meets :)
  9. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Steve

Liking this now it's together and with minimal filler as well , never used that liquid filler though

Like the scarf , nice touch of colour there

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  10. Red Five Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    It maybe too late but if you look up my Facebook account "Andrew Fenwick-Walpole" and search my albums you will find one on AR501 a MkV Spitfire I think I've taken a picture of every rivet inside and out!!

Looking good
    Nap likes this.
  11. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thanks, spent far to long on shading that scarf :)

Thanks for the link, great photos.
    Nap likes this.
  12. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Steve

You might have seen these ..obviously not Bader but good references
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

Nap
  13. patmaquette Member

England
    It's looking good, Steve. I am painting up some 1/32 RAF pilots at the moment, so it has been useful for me to see your palette for the life vest.
    Regarding the straps - I can see those for the life vest and parachute - are there some for the Sutton harness to be added at some time?
    I'm following your progress with great interest,
    Pat
    Nap likes this.
  14. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    First time i have seen these, but that pilot has nicked my scarf :D
    patmaquette and Nap like this.
  15. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thanks, yep the Sutton harness comes as one molded piece of resin, which i will add to him later on, as it attaches to the seat in the cockpit, as per this photo on RP's website;

bader.jpeg
    patmaquette and Nap like this.
  16. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    More superb sculpting and casting on the parachute. I spent far to long (again) on something that will never be seen once the cockpit is completed, but an enjoyable hour or so anyway.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  17. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Steve

Good result there ...after enjoyable benchtime ......that's what it's all about

Look forward to it being in place....might not be seen but you know it's done !!

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  18. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Got his sidcot suit painted, highlights and shadows added, ‘stitched’ his harness and attached his parachute pack. Flat varnished with AK ultra Matt

2610479C-DAA8-41E4-95C0-0F3327432A25.jpeg CE689D39-D8E7-4152-BBCC-203C6C29C52F.jpeg 0E3EF449-4425-4DAF-8E61-65AE82010B85.jpeg CA207655-AD84-4120-8B36-E2F9A04512F8.jpeg EA97BE7B-58F5-40E9-83CE-43C12A10315E.jpeg
  19. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Got his leather gauntlets painted up last night, they need a very translucent coat of Tamiya smoke then a semi gloss coat to give them some shine.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  20. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Got some paint on Baders face in the evenings at the caravan. Also while I had the mixes in my wet palette I started on Rogers ranger (?)

DE3DEB9A-9071-49D5-8118-D488A40E312C.jpeg 391916FB-9AA4-4759-9866-455D70E76C20.jpeg 114691F0-E173-4C0E-AD15-673F03684AEC.jpeg 26884E67-52AC-472C-80FE-782288B2E669.jpeg
    arj, patmaquette, John Bowery and 2 others like this.